Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › New member here! Looking for advice on best headphone setup for PS3/AVR setup.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New member here! Looking for advice on best headphone setup for PS3/AVR setup.

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

I was originally going to post in Mad Lust Envy's Gaming Headphone thread...but since I'm new and the welcome PM asked for posting here first...well, here I am!

 

I am in need of some headphones that allow me to listen in my "game room/office" without disturbing anyone in the living room or vice versa.  The center of my current setup is a Yamaha RX-V1800 to which is connected the following:  PS3 (hdmi), Wii (component), HD-DVD (hdmi; used mostly for straight DVD playback these days!), and a Panasonic plasma.  My speaker setup is somewhat poor...I only have fronts and a center, no rears at the moment.  I will have a PS4 at some point next year as well.

 

I don't know whether to go with a straight headphone solution just plugged into the Yamaha (which does have the Silent Cinema feature). I guess Silent Cinema is supposed to process and simulate surround sound on its own?  Or should I buy a processor/headphone combo and attach it directly to the PS3? I guess some use USB and others the digital optical out? Alternately, is it possible for any of these processors to attach to a digital out on the AVR instead?

 

Budget needs to stay under $200 unfortunately and under $150 even better.

 

I'm open to wired or wireless. There's only about 9 feet from PS3/AVR to chair. I'm open to closed or open. I do not like in-ear/ear buds. I'm open to refurbs or Used-Like New items off Amazon, etc.

 

Help!!!

post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
 

I was originally going to post in Mad Lust Envy's Gaming Headphone thread...but since I'm new and the welcome PM asked for posting here first...well, here I am!

I am in need of some headphones that allow me to listen in my "game room/office" without disturbing anyone in the living room or vice versa.  The center of my current setup is a Yamaha RX-V1800 to which is connected the following:  PS3 (hdmi), Wii (component), HD-DVD (hdmi; used mostly for straight DVD playback these days!), and a Panasonic plasma.  My speaker setup is somewhat poor...I only have fronts and a center, no rears at the moment.  I will have a PS4 at some point next year as well.

I don't know whether to go with a straight headphone solution just plugged into the Yamaha (which does have the Silent Cinema feature). I guess Silent Cinema is supposed to process and simulate surround sound on its own?  Or should I buy a processor/headphone combo and attach it directly to the PS3? I guess some use USB and others the digital optical out? Alternately, is it possible for any of these processors to attach to a digital out on the AVR instead?

Budget needs to stay under $200 unfortunately and under $150 even better.

I'm open to wired or wireless. There's only about 9 feet from PS3/AVR to chair. I'm open to closed or open. I do not like in-ear/ear buds. I'm open to refurbs or Used-Like New items off Amazon, etc.

Might as well take advantage of the headphone amplifier (and Silent Cinema) in the Yamaha receiver.

All your other options just dilute your budget for good headphones.

 

I'm thinking the Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm headphones, used $190, new $230.

Or the AKG K612 Pro 120-Ohm headphones, $160.

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Might as well take advantage of the headphone amplifier (and Silent Cinema) in the Yamaha receiver.

All your other options just dilute your budget for good headphones.

 

I'm thinking the Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm headphones, used $190, new $230.

Or the AKG K612 Pro 120-Ohm headphones, $160.

 

Thank you for the recs.  Is there anything I need to watch out for in terms of the Yamaha being able to drive the headphones? Is there a spec to look at on the Yamaha to go by?

 

I did borrow a set of headphones to plug into the Yamaha...a 40+ yr old pair my dad had laying around that he used to use with his 8 track. No idea what brand or anything; sticker is long worn off and I didn't see any other marks. Anyway, then I played Assassin's Creed for a little while. Sounded very, very acceptable...better than with my speakers! (Note...he thinks he gave less than $3 for these 40+ yr old headphones!) But, they are a bit heavy for me!  They are closed over ear? (Enclose the entire ear). Anyway, based on that test I think you are right...go with headphones only to plug in to the Yamaha.

post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
 

 

Thank you for the recs.  Is there anything I need to watch out for in terms of the Yamaha being able to drive the headphones? Is there a spec to look at on the Yamaha to go by?

 

I did borrow a set of headphones to plug into the Yamaha...a 40+ yr old pair my dad had laying around that he used to use with his 8 track. No idea what brand or anything; sticker is long worn off and I didn't see any other marks. Anyway, then I played Assassin's Creed for a little while. Sounded very, very acceptable...better than with my speakers! (Note...he thinks he gave less than $3 for these 40+ yr old headphones!) But, they are a bit heavy for me!  They are closed over ear? (Enclose the entire ear). Anyway, based on that test I think you are right...go with headphones only to plug in to the Yamaha.


That Yamaha receiver should be able to drive headphones up to 600-Ohms (at least it better for it's price).

My Yamaha RX-V671 costs half of what yours cost and mine can drive 600-Ohm headphones.

But as chances are your Yamaha receiver's headphone output has a high impedance, so try not to get headphones under 120-Ohms.

Unless you need to block noise, usually it's better to get open headphones (DT880, K612 Pro).

There is also the DT990, more of a strong bass and treble, where as the DT880 is more balanced.

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 


That Yamaha receiver should be able to drive headphones up to 600-Ohms (at least it better for it's price).

My Yamaha RX-V671 costs half of what yours cost and mine can drive 600-Ohm headphones.

But as chances are your Yamaha receiver's headphone output has a high impedance, so try not to get headphones under 120-Ohms.

Unless you need to block noise, usually it's better to get open headphones (DT880, K612 Pro).

There is also the DT990, more of a strong bass and treble, where as the DT880 is more balanced.

 

Thanks! I don't know if the manual would specify what it can drive but I did find the impedance numbers in the manual.  It says:

Headphone Jack Rated Output/Impedance
CD, etc. (1 kHz, 40 mV, 8 Ω) ................................ 150 mV/100 Ω

 

So yes, looks like I need to make sure to stay at/above 120.

 

And no, I don't need to completely block noise, so open are fine ;>

post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 

On reflection, I might need recs for closed and/or noise isolating and/or noise cancelling headphones. The TV in the next room is often pretty darn loud as my mother has some hearing loss and doesn't want to get a hearing aid yet. It can be pretty distracting and loud. We have some Sennheiser RS 120's that she uses sometimes as she can hear dialog better with them but she doesn't use them all the time.  Any other recs with that noise issue in mind?

post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 

So I've continued to lurk and research...my understanding of some of the frequency response graphs and such is still in it's infancy. I also briefly popped up in MLE's gaming thread.  All that to say is I think I'm down to a "final 3" list.  My budget has also come down...really have to stay at $150 or less.

 

In the meantime, I had also directly contacted Yamaha about the ohms and their response was:

Quote:
Thanks for your email. The headphone output is designed to work with consumer grade headphones, which typically have impedance ratings ranging between 15 and 60 ohms.

The output will still work with higher and lower impedance ratings, you would just need to adjust the volume control to compensate for the increased or decreased draw.

 

So, my final 3 are:

 

Sennheiser HD 558 (currently $128.50)

Yamaha HPH-200 (currently 115.58)

AKG K612 Pro ... but only if the price drops back down to $160 quickly

 

Any words of wisdom on these choices?  I've decided to stay with open instead of closed unless there is a compelling reason not too. I've decided the sound from the living room is not so bad as to require me to go with closed/noise isolation, etc.  Unfortunately the only pair I've been able to listen to was the 558's and that was in a mostly broken down listening station at Best Buy.

post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
 

So I've continued to lurk and research...my understanding of some of the frequency response graphs and such is still in it's infancy. I also briefly popped up in MLE's gaming thread.  All that to say is I think I'm down to a "final 3" list.  My budget has also come down...really have to stay at $150 or less.

In the meantime, I had also directly contacted Yamaha about the ohms and their response was:

So, my final 3 are:

Sennheiser HD 558 (currently $128.50)

Yamaha HPH-200 (currently 115.58)

AKG K612 Pro ... but only if the price drops back down to $160 quickly

Any words of wisdom on these choices?  I've decided to stay with open instead of closed unless there is a compelling reason not too. I've decided the sound from the living room is not so bad as to require me to go with closed/noise isolation, etc.  Unfortunately the only pair I've been able to listen to was the 558's and that was in a mostly broken down listening station at Best Buy.

Personally, I do not trust what the Yamaha rep told you about the headphone output impedance.

When they list 15-Ohm to 60-Ohm as consumer grade and will work in the Yamaha, it does not sound right.

Anything below 32-Ohm and your getting into headphones for portable audio, not receivers.

But my 50-Ohm HD558 sound good in my Yamaha, so they should be ok with your Yamaha.

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Personally, I do not trust what the Yamaha rep told you about the headphone output impedance.

When they list 15-Ohm to 60-Ohm as consumer grade and will work in the Yamaha, it does not sound right.

Anything below 32-Ohm and your getting into headphones for portable audio, not receivers.

But my 50-Ohm HD558 sound good in my Yamaha, so they should be ok with your Yamaha.

 

I'm not sure I 100% believe them either. However, my dad is an electrical engineer...well, retired...and no, audio is not his specialty, but his answer was basically the same. (He's a 1960-something Purdue alum.)

 

That said, my christmas list has the AKG K612 Pro at the top with the Senn HD 558 as the alternate.  However, the Yamaha is listed at 48-ohm so it is right there in the same range as the Senn HD 558's.

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
 

I'm not sure I 100% believe them either. However, my dad is an electrical engineer...well, retired...and no, audio is not his specialty, but his answer was basically the same. (He's a 1960-something Purdue alum.)

 

That said, my Christmas list has the AKG K612 Pro at the top with the Senn HD 558 as the alternate.  However, the Yamaha is listed at 48-ohm so it is right there in the same range as the Senn HD 558's.

I personally never see anyone on Head-Fi talk about how great their Yamaha headphones are.

 

Used AKG K612 Pro on eBay, starting bid is $135 (free shipping), this is the third time the seller has listed the 612 Pros as no one bid on the last two times they were listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261348237349?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 

The AKG 612's sound great from everything said around here. However, I left the decision up to my father...had the AKG's and the Senn 558's on my Christmas list...and it looks like I'll be getting the Senn's.  So, that's what I'll be getting started with and we'll see how I progress from there!

 

Thanks for all your input @PurpleAngel.

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
 

The AKG 612's sound great from everything said around here. However, I left the decision up to my father...had the AKG's and the Senn 558's on my Christmas list...and it looks like I'll be getting the Senn's.  So, that's what I'll be getting started with and we'll see how I progress from there!

 

Thanks for all your input @PurpleAngel.

This cable makes it easier to use the HD558s with a 3.5mm jack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?var=560215640800&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › New member here! Looking for advice on best headphone setup for PS3/AVR setup.