Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › "I cannot tell my wife how much I spend last night... in audio" Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"I cannot tell my wife how much I spend last night... in audio" Thread

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 

Just like the tittle says.. I will get into troubles if she ever knows how much the little new amp really cost (not that expensive, if you look at the prices paid for higher end equipment here, I justify myself)...

 

Some similar experiences?


Edited by daniel0407 - 11/23/13 at 6:55am
post #2 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel0407 View Post

Just like the tittle says.. I will get into troubles if she ever knows how much the little new amp really cost (not that expensive, if you look at the prices paid for higher end equipment here, I justify myself)...

Some similar experiences?

Never tell. Have a stash of cash.......that she knows not about.........say "these TH900's? Cost me $200". Stick to the story.

Been married 25 years. It works. biggrin.gif
post #3 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


.........say "these TH900's? Cost me $200". Stick to the story.

Been married 25 years. It works. biggrin.gif

 

Hahaha xD good advice!

post #4 of 36

These "brand new" headphones, no, they are not new, have had them for years! They  were sitting in the basement.

(Delivered to work address, btw..)

:wink_face:

 

 

And yes, I know, I only have one pair of ears, so why so many headphones :frown:

post #5 of 36

Well you will find it is way better to ask for forgiveness than permission. During the initial disclosure event with your Wife, I have always found it helpful to bring in concepts about newly discovered heath problems and the fact that living life to the fullest can be important and even more so in the event I prematurely leave this planet.

 

Always worked for me. Creating a health problem scenario, even factious, will change the mood and subject after the initial disclosure.:cool:

post #6 of 36

I don't think any man in the 90's can say "Babe, I just bought a pair of legendary headphones called the Orpheus for $30,000" and walk away with their marriage intact...

post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


Never tell. Have a stash of cash.......that she knows not about.........say "these TH900's? Cost me $200". Stick to the story.

Been married 25 years. It works. biggrin.gif


My father used to do the same thing for computer components, just brilliant ;).

post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

Never tell. Have a stash of cash.......that she knows not about.........say "these TH900's? Cost me $200". Stick to the story.

Been married 25 years. It works. biggrin.gif
Let's hope she bought your story and not checking on the internet how much they really cost tongue.gif
If not all hells is going to break loose
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsan View Post

These "brand new" headphones, no, they are not new, have had them for years! They  were sitting in the basement.
(Delivered to work address, btw..)
wink_face.gif


And yes, I know, I only have one pair of ears, so why so many headphones frown.gif
I prefer this scenario redface.gif
post #10 of 36

I would love to buy my audio equipment for what my wife thinks I paid………What a bargain that would be.

post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post

 
Well you will find it is way better to ask for forgiveness than permission. During the initial disclosure event with your Wife, I have always found it helpful to bring in concepts about newly discovered heath problems and the fact that living life to the fullest can be important and even more so in the event I prematurely leave this planet.

Always worked for me. Creating a health problem scenario, even factious, will change the mood and subject after the initial disclosure.cool.gif

That's the best thing I have read in some time!

I thought I understood the difficulty of buying hifi with a spouse present...until I actually got married. Now I know fully.

Subconsciously I must have known because I went on quite a spending spree beforehand. Bowers & Wilkins speakers, headphone amps, headphones, source components, etc.
Edited by Punnisher - 11/25/13 at 5:41pm
post #12 of 36

When my wife complains about how much I spend on audio, I just say "look how much you spend on shoes!"  This really puts her in her place, as she spends a lot of money on shoes for orphans in third world countries.

post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punnisher View Post


That's the best thing I have read in some time!

I thought I understood the difficulty of buying hifi with a spouse present...until I actually got married. Now I know fully.

Subconsciously I must have known because I went on quite a spending spree beforehand. Bowers & Wilkins speakers, headphone amps, headphones, source components, etc.

I used it after my wife found out I had the W5LE on order. A 15 min. talk, complete. Not saying it will work all the time but it could be saved for full disclosure on a big purchase. My wife is too smart to tell her a lower price. She would look it up on line.

 

I did smuggle a ton of DVDs and CDs into the house. I would leave them in the glove box of my car then sneak out into the garage when she was asleep. I would slowly walk back into the house and throw away any packaging evidence.

post #14 of 36
Thread Starter 

Now I really have to hide the receipt.. On friday I did a "small" impulsive buy: a Lehmann BCL.. so, very nice sounding on my HD650.. but I notice.. well, the source is not the best, I should find something little better.. looking at Amazon, there was nothing with good critics. Then, today in the office, I call to a HIFI store really far away from where I live.. and.. well, they had a a Lindemann USB DAC for almost half the price.. I said.. well, looks like I am going to drive a lot today (600 km go and back). Call my wife: "darling, I have to work until late today". There in the store, I said: may I test the HD800?.. the guy prepare it to test.. and.. well... sound great I said to myself, better soundstage... I like it!... next question: how much for the dac and the headphones? .... well... you can imagen what happened.

 

She has not asked anything... yet...

post #15 of 36

I felt awful about my new purchase, I had to break down and tell her.

 

She really appreciated it - I recommend anyone else doing the same. Just tell them.

 

The purchase:

 

 

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › "I cannot tell my wife how much I spend last night... in audio" Thread