or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › How does the Sennheiser HD650 compare?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How does the Sennheiser HD650 compare?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hi Head-fi

 

I'm curious as to how the HD650 compares to the Beyerdynamic DT990 and Sennheiser PC360.

 

I have already listened to the DT990, I think they are overall good headphones.
But trouble is the treble is just a bit too much and sound metallic at times.

The bass is also a tad too much at times (And that is coming from someone who almost solely listens to bassheavy music. Drum n Bass, Hardtrance and so on). I really wanted to like them, but just didn't get the "I must own them" feeling.

 

I've also tried the Beyerdynamic T70, but discarded them quickly since the DT990 sounded better to me.

 

Audiotechnica ATH-M50 sounded muddy to me.

 

Denon AH-600 was pretty okay. But I felt they would become boring pretty quickly, since they didn't have anything special going for them.

 

I just mentioned the others I have tried, so you maybe will get an idea of what I apparently don't like (Guess I'm pretty hard to please).

 

Now on to the PC360's. I bought those "in blind" (Before I tried any of the other headphones). At first I was pretty dissapointed in them, no bass and slightly "hollow" sounding. But it got better with a couple of hours of listening, and I've come to appreciate a few of it's signatures. Namely that it have the right amount of treble for my taste, enough to sound detailed in the highs yet not to much to sound bright (Especially after listening to the DT990 I've been confirmed in this). And that it generally sounds pretty detailed.
But the bass is just too absent, and better mids would be welcome aswell.

 

So finally on to the main thing.

Does the HD650 share the same detail and quantity of the high end (Just better?)?
As far as I have read it got a good amount of bass, but where does it place itself in comparison to the PC360 and DT990?

And how about the mids and bass quality?

 

 

Pretty long story, if you made it this far thank you.

Looking forward to some inputs.

 

Regards

Hardtrancing

post #2 of 9

Suggest that read about the HD 650 (and HD 600) in this excellent piece:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 

Thanks, great read.

But now the HD600 have piqued my interest aswell (More variables).
 

If only I could go listen to them. Unfortunately the closest place where I could audition them is 200km. away.

post #4 of 9

If it's of any help I would say ...

 

The DT990 are like the DT880 only with a bigger u-shape.

 

The HD600 are like the DT880 only more rounded and relaxed sounding.

 

The HD650 are like the HD600 only darker and warmer sounding overall.

post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post
 

If it's of any help I would say ...

 

The DT990 are like the DT880 only with a bigger u-shape.

 

The HD600 are like the DT880 only more rounded and relaxed sounding.

 

The HD650 are like the HD600 only darker and warmer sounding overall.

 

When you say the HD650 is darker is it because it has more bass emphasis, or because the highs are more recessed?

Also I've read that the HD650 has a "3-Blob soundstage", what does that mean?

post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtrancing View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post
 

If it's of any help I would say ...

 

The DT990 are like the DT880 only with a bigger u-shape.

 

The HD600 are like the DT880 only more rounded and relaxed sounding.

 

The HD650 are like the HD600 only darker and warmer sounding overall.

 

When you say the HD650 is darker is it because it has more bass emphasis, or because the highs are more recessed?

 

Yes to both.  Plus the DT 880 is on the bright side of neutral.

Also I've read that the HD650 has a "3-Blob soundstage", what does that mean?

 

Have no idea--please provide a link to where this appears.

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtrancing View Post
 

 

When you say the HD650 is darker is it because it has more bass emphasis, or because the highs are more recessed?

Also I've read that the HD650 has a "3-Blob soundstage", what does that mean?

Once you get to terms like "3-Blob soundstage" you might not get much of any consensus on the meaning.

The HD650 compared to the HD600 has little bit of an elevated bass and slightly recessed trebles. I was looking to get the HD650, however, I compared both for 45 minutes and bought the HD600. YMMV as that is my preference, although I wasn't expecting for it to end up that way.

post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Once you get to terms like "3-Blob soundstage" you might not get much of any consensus on the meaning.

The HD650 compared to the HD600 has little bit of an elevated bass and slightly recessed trebles. I was looking to get the HD650, however, I compared both for 45 minutes and bought the HD600. YMMV as that is my preference, although I wasn't expecting for it to end up that way.

 

I guess I should not worry about the 3-blob then.

 

 

I've finally managed to find the graph comparing thing I've seen some link in here. I know frequency response isn't everything, but maybe it could help a little.

 

 

Judging from the chart alone, it seems like I would enjoy the HD650 the most.
It has slightly less bass than the DT990 and is pretty similar to the HD555 in the high end (I've read that the HD555 is pretty similar in sound to the PC360).

The HD600 has about the same amount of bass as the HD555 (PC360), which is one of the things I dislike about the PC360.

Can anyone confirm if the HD555 and PC360 does indeed sound similar?

post #9 of 9

If you're going to get into FR curves, you'll notice that the HD650 takes a dive around 10,000 Hz.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › How does the Sennheiser HD650 compare?