or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier Review - Page 12

post #166 of 287

No surprise. :smile:

 

Edit: maybe I'm too trusting... where is the designation?


Edited by GaryB - 12/30/13 at 2:30pm
post #167 of 287

OK... now I believe you:

 

http://www.adaptertech.com.tw/08_ac_dc_switching_adapter.html

 

:o

post #168 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
 

OK... now I believe you:

 

http://www.adaptertech.com.tw/08_ac_dc_switching_adapter.html

 

:o


You got it.  It comes with three different AC prongs for different country electrical outlets.  The Meridian Director also has a similar AC Prong Changeable adapter.

post #169 of 287

If it has a range of 100-240 Vac without having to flip any toggle switch on the wall wart, then it will be a Switchmode Power Supply.

post #170 of 287

@Gary B:

 

Well, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the 12V Channel Island Audio power supply unit.  If the unit is as good as their customer service, then I know I won't regret the purchase.  As you said, response has been immediate and personalized.  Thanks so much for the tip!

 

My expectations is that this unit will offer a subtle improvement, but I will have to test it very carefully and spend some time on it, as A/B comparisons will not be immediate as I'll need to switch the power supplies and trust my ears.  I should get it by early next week and will report my findings.  The best case scenario is that this configuration of the iFi on the USB 5V end and the Channels Islands Audio on the 12V end will perform for $530 as well or better as the $1,250 Meridian Power Supply.

post #171 of 287

I'm surprised it took you so long. :D

 

Seriously, your expectations regarding your upgrades match mine and I'm very interested to know your findings.  You're most welcome for the referral.

 

BTW, is Dusty sending you a DC power cord for a 2.1mm center pin, 2.5mm, or both?

post #172 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
 

I'm surprised it took you so long. :D

 

Seriously, your expectations regarding your upgrades match mine and I'm very interested to know your findings.  You're most welcome for the referral.

 

BTW, is Dusty sending you a DC power cord for a 2.1mm center pin, 2.5mm, or both?


Thanks again GaryB!

 

Dusty will be sending me a 24" DC power cord with a 2.5mm center pin that will plug into a 2.1mm adapter.  He said it should work just fine. 

post #173 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post
 

Am I the only one who is really put off about the $2000 dollar amp that comes with a $1250 optional PSU which is not really optional if you know what I mean?


2,000 Amp/DAC with 'optional' 1250 psu. Better off getting a great amp/dac with a beefy ps..

post #174 of 287

If this voices like Meridian's legendary 508.24 then those that have heard that, will want to hear/own this. In it's day, the 508.24 was considered perhaps the only digital source that approached vinyl, or that the very least, sounded analogue. Used 508.24s, if you can find them, still comand around $1,000.

 

The 508.24 and Meridian sound in general, has a very relaxed non-fatiguing signature. (I find some Chord products and Audio Aero products, all high end, to also have that "vinyl"-like sound). So, if it's a DAC first with headphone amp tacked on, let's see how it stacks up against other 2Kish DACs, (Chord Qute, Ayre, etc.). Then we'll worry about the wall-wart issue...which to me seems more like a marketing error...as I'd rather have a $3250 DAC with 100% of the Meridian house sound, then a $2,000 box that's only 85% there.

 

Internals be damned, the only true test is a shootout with price competing competitors (top-shelf ALO comes to mind). And it better sound as good as the better 2-2.5K stand-alone DACs out there (Ayre, Chord, etc.). If it does, I could care less if the internal components cost $50... we don't listen to the cost of the components, or even the engineering, we listen to the sound.


Edited by Lornecherry - 1/2/14 at 5:11pm
post #175 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornecherry View Post
 

If this voices like Meridian's legendary 508.24 then those that have heard that, will want to hear/own this. In it's day, the 508.24 was considered perhaps the only digital source that approached vinyl, or that the very least, sounded analogue. Used 508.24s, if you can find them, still comand around $1,000.

 

The 508.24 and Meridian sound in general, has a very relaxed non-fatiguing signature. (I find some Chord products and Audio Aero products, all high end, to also have that "vinyl"-like sound). So, if it's a DAC first with headphone amp tacked on, let's see how it stacks up against other 2Kish DACs, (Chord Qute, Ayre, etc.). Then we'll worry about the wall-wart issue...which to me seems more like a marketing error...as I'd rather have a $3250 DAC with 100% of the Meridian house sound, then a $2,000 box that's only 85% there.

 

Internals be damned, the only true test is a shootout with price competing competitors (top-shelf ALO comes to mind). And it better sound as good as the better 2-2.5K stand-alone DACs out there (Ayre, Chord, etc.). If it does, I could care less if the internal components cost $50... we don't listen to the cost of the components, or even the engineering, we listen to the sound.

 

I assume this is some type of joke.    :rolleyes:

It's almost offensive.

post #176 of 287

I'm very interested in a comparison with the Naim DAC-V1 as well. I'm still trying to find a good pairing for my LCD-X. I can listen to a Naim here (and have. It sounds very, very nice), but I don't know anywhere here that I can listen to the meridian prime. 

post #177 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
 

 

I assume this is some type of joke.    :rolleyes:

It's almost offensive.

 

I didn't see the joke. Care to explain it?

post #178 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooster View Post
 

 

I didn't see the joke. Care to explain it?

 

 

the phrase "we don't listen to the engineering"

 

Who do you think designs this stuff, the Tooth Fairy?

 

It's like looking at a painting and ignoring or not acknowledging the artist.

post #179 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticos442 View Post
 

@Gary B:

 

Well, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the 12V Channel Island Audio power supply unit.  If the unit is as good as their customer service, then I know I won't regret the purchase.  As you said, response has been immediate and personalized.  Thanks so much for the tip!

 

My expectations is that this unit will offer a subtle improvement, but I will have to test it very carefully and spend some time on it, as A/B comparisons will not be immediate as I'll need to switch the power supplies and trust my ears.  I should get it by early next week and will report my findings.  The best case scenario is that this configuration of the iFi on the USB 5V end and the Channels Islands Audio on the 12V end will perform for $530 as well or better as the $1,250 Meridian Power Supply.

 

ticos442, have you received the Channel Islands power supply yet?  Any initial impressions?

post #180 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
 

 

ticos442, have you received the Channel Islands power supply yet?  Any initial impressions?


I got the unit yesterday, and it's in burn-in mode at the moment.  Dusty recommended to run continuous music play for a couple of days to allow the capacitors in the unit to settle and go through multiple charge/discharge cycles.   I also have a head cold at the moment which is limiting my critical listening abilities.

 

Will perform tests early next week and report back.


Edited by ticos442 - 1/10/14 at 10:41am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier Review