or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Closed back over the ear headphones under 300$. Suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Closed back over the ear headphones under 300$. Suggestions?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hey so i'm looking for some closed back over the ear headphones preferably under 300$ (you can include ebay and amazon prices). I mostly listen to electronic music, rap and rock. So I want some bass but it doesnt need to have a lot because I know it distorts sound quality. What're the best cans?
post #2 of 10
Thread Starter 

I want something a little more than the ath m50s. I've been looking at the srh940s because I heard they were the best closed headphones in that class but I also heard they were kind of really weak in the bass section.

post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcahmadi View Post
 

I want something a little more than the ath m50s. I've been looking at the srh940s because I heard they were the best closed headphones in that class but I also heard they were kind of really weak in the bass section.

 

I also found them lacking in bass.

 

Some good choices in your price range,

depending on whether you'll be using an amp,

what your sources are (e.g. lossy vs lossless files),

 

V Moda M100

Sennheiser Momentum

NAD Viso HP50

AKG 550 (but they're also slightly light in the bass IMO)

post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex View Post

I also found them lacking in bass.

Some good choices in your price range,
depending on whether you'll be using an amp,
what your sources are (e.g. lossy vs lossless files),

V Moda M100
Sennheiser Momentum
NAD Viso HP50
AKG 550 (but they're also slightly light in the bass IMO)

I will not be using an amp
And sources will be mostly my iphone and laptop with 320 Kbps mp3
post #5 of 10

IMO & IME if you're investing $300.00 in a set of headphones,

you'll get significantly more out of them with an amp - even an

inexpensive amp (as long as it's a good one - I recommend the

JDS Labs C Moy 2.03BB; it's around $60.00 on their website).

 

Second, and there are differering views on this, at the $300.00

level you should move towards listening exclusively to lossless files.

 

If you're not going to be using an amp, and are going to be listening

to lossy files (even 320K), I think you'll do well with solid $150.00

headphones such as the Audio Technica ATH M50, the Sennheiser 558,

and other quality products in that range.

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex View Post

IMO & IME if you're investing $300.00 in a set of headphones,
you'll get significantly more out of them with an amp - even an
inexpensive amp (as long as it's a good one - I recommend the
JDS Labs C Moy 2.03BB; it's around $60.00 on their website).

I've decided I'm probably going to buy an inexpensive amp I've been thinking about the fiio e10 and now the jds labs one you mentioned
Any other suggestions? Which one is better?
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcahmadi View Post


I've decided I'm probably going to buy an inexpensive amp I've been thinking about the fiio e10 and now the jds labs one you mentioned
Any other suggestions? Which one is better?


I've not heard the E10.  I have heard the E11 which is priced similarly to the cMoy, and I like the cMoy more.

It's pretty much the amp of choice in its price range if you can deal with the form factor (it's built into an Altoids tin).

 

It's easy to get sidetracked into the amp question, but it's way more important soundwise to get good headphones.

Then pick up a solid 60-100 amp, there are many of them today.

post #8 of 10

Beyerdynamic DT770. It's amazing value

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcahmadi View Post


I will not be using an amp
And sources will be mostly my iphone and laptop with 320 Kbps mp3


You should check the sony MDR-1R, i bought them for my dad, they sound excellen from any source due to their low impedance and they are very comfortable, other options are the audiotechnica a900x, vmoda m100, beyerdynamic dt 770 32 ohm, sennheiser momentum, but i think the mdr-1r are better because they are more comfortable, i have tried the momentums and the vmodas

post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 

i ended up getting the srh940s theyre awesome

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Closed back over the ear headphones under 300$. Suggestions?