New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iem upgrade

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I've been through a few iems and am thinking to upgrade to a higher end one. Used the beyerdynamic xp series, shure 215s, and etymotic hf3s.

My fav was the last one. Least fav the shures.

Thinking of ciems next. Any ideas? Price shouldnt be a problem, but stuff like jh roxannes are obviously out lol.
post #2 of 10

it seems like you enjoyed a flat sound signature more so than something like the super bass oriented SE215? how high of a price are you willing to go?

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotnijoe View Post

it seems like you enjoyed a flat sound signature more so than something like the super bass oriented SE215? how high of a price are you willing to go?

Yes i felt the shures were too "bassy"

I would think around 800-1000?. But of course lower wouldnt hurt.
post #4 of 10

do you currently have an amp/dac that you use to compliment your iems?

post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotnijoe View Post

do you currently have an amp/dac that you use to compliment your iems?

Nope i do not. Havent got to use any amps etc.
post #6 of 10

then instead of spending 800+ dollars on a headphone, i would definitely spending part of that on a good source and amp.

 

Since you like the sound of the HF3, have you considered the ER4S at all?

 

Where does your music come from? Computer or a portable player?

post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotnijoe View Post

then instead of spending 800+ dollars on a headphone, i would definitely spending part of that on a good source and amp.

Since you like the sound of the HF3, have you considered the ER4S at all?

Where does your music come from? Computer or a portable player?

While on the move it's from my phone. At home i output my audio via my audio interface (saffire 6).

Tbh i didnt get an amp due to size (Hard to hold in hand etc), not sure if there are small ones.

Are the er4s similar? Would look that up.
post #8 of 10

what type of phone do you use?

 

Definitely look into the ER4S, theyre very good headphones. Theyre very revealing though so source matters a lot.

 

Some other suggestions are Heir Audio 4.A. theyre pretty flat and neutral ciem. You could also look into the new noble 4.C, theyre essentially the 4.A but retuned.

 

I could also suggest Rooth audio. I personally really like their products. They have a nice relaxed sound and sound signature varies depending on which ciem you choose from their line. could do a little research on them?

 

I've never heard the JH 13 but theyre hailed as one of the best ciems on the market today, though theyre a bit over 1000 and i would also definitely focus on a good amp/dac.

 

If you want a better amp/dac, you could look into fiio or ibasso. I personally like ibasso quite a bit for budget amps and dacs. The ibasso d zero is super flat.

 

If you're able to afford a little more than just 100 dollar dacs and amps, you could look more into other products.

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotnijoe View Post

what type of phone do you use?

Definitely look into the ER4S, theyre very good headphones. Theyre very revealing though so source matters a lot.

Some other suggestions are Heir Audio 4.A. theyre pretty flat and neutral ciem. You could also look into the new noble 4.C, theyre essentially the 4.A but retuned.

I could also suggest Rooth audio. I personally really like their products. They have a nice relaxed sound and sound signature varies depending on which ciem you choose from their line. could do a little research on them?

I've never heard the JH 13 but theyre hailed as one of the best ciems on the market today, though theyre a bit over 1000 and i would also definitely focus on a good amp/dac.

If you want a better amp/dac, you could look into fiio or ibasso. I personally like ibasso quite a bit for budget amps and dacs. The ibasso d zero is super flat.

If you're able to afford a little more than just 100 dollar dacs and amps, you could look more into other products.

Iphone 4s. Do phones differ alot for source?

Will look into those iems you suggested.

Another question is does it really make a difference for ciems vs iems. I've never had eartips molded to my ears before. And the thing about the number of drivers/burn in time/cable quality. Are they really huge changes?

I'll go look up some of those amps too. I dont mind higher end ones but the combined budget would be the same (iem+amp)
post #10 of 10

i ask what phone because the fact you use iphone 4s opens you up to amps that are idevice compatible. I would highly suggest looking into amps like the sony pha 1, fostex HP-P1 (which i love), or the theorem 720 or hifi m8. Theyre all idevice compatible and can act as a DAC as well as an amp for ur iphone 4s.

 

CIEMs will generally be a little better sounding than their iem counterparts mostly because the sound goes straight to your ears thru the sound tube rather than by means of the tip, which can honestly alter the sound quite a bit depending on factors such as the material of the tip, the size of the top, or how deep you insert the tips. Ciems give you a consistent fit and consistent sound every time. Only problem with ciems is getting a right fit. Sometimes ear impressions arent quite right or something messes up along the road and the ciem doesnt fit perfectly with your ear. Then you gotta go through the pain of getting a new impression or sending the ciems back, which is never fun...

 

Burn in is definitely a real thing. Its more of a thing for dynamic drivers though. Personally, i find that burn in is really just for the drivers to warm up a bit. I find that burning in adds coherence when it comes to balance armature drivers. Really just for all the drivers to warm up to working with each other in a sense. No drastic change in detail persay. Which for dynamic drivers, there can be some pretty dramatic changes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home