New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AUDEZE LCD XC - Page 26

post #376 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

But when you got a pair of cans you're diggin - like your Stax - I say do whatever possible to squeeze out the best results for YOU!

 

True but if you have $2K in one hand and the HD800 in the other... a cable isn't the path to the best results for Can411.


Edited by Solude - 12/23/13 at 6:52am
post #377 of 1563

Maybe David1961 or others with experience regarding this matter may help me.  I'm thinking of going balanced (copper cable) with the LCD-XCs.  Is there supposed to be a real difference between the Double Helix, Cardas Clear, Moon Audio Black Dragon, and Cable Pro Reverie cables?  Is one supposed to be warmer than the others or viceversa.  I was thinking about getting the Moon Audio Black Dragon just because:

(1) many head-fiers (including Jude) think highly of them and the Cables I've purchased from Drew have always been very good quality; and

(2) I need a 20 foot replacement headphone cable given that my Lazy Boy at the family room is a long distance from my audio system(s), which Moon-Audio can readily supply, and it is the cheapest cable of the whole bunch.

 

So, any suggestions?

post #378 of 1563

Q Black Silk, Cardas Headphone and Moon Blue Dragon would be my top 3 in that order.  Cables that are overly thick, heavy or stiff get dismissed pretty much out of hand for headphone use by me.  Pretty much comes down to litz or multistand, braid or twist.

post #379 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

Q Black Silk, Cardas Headphone and Moon Blue Dragon would be my top 3 in that order.  Cables that are overly thick, heavy or stiff get dismissed pretty much out of hand for headphone use by me.  Pretty much comes down to litz or multistand, braid or twist.

Agreed. I just ordered a Q Audio Silk for my LCD3s (had the cotton version previously and was happy). 

 

All Audeze LCD headphones are heavy enough, added a heavy cable would not be conducive to comfort at all. 

post #380 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post

Maybe David1961 or others with experience regarding this matter may help me.  I'm thinking of going balanced (copper cable) with the LCD-XCs.  Is there supposed to be a real difference between the Double Helix, Cardas Clear, Moon Audio Black Dragon, and Cable Pro Reverie cables?  Is one supposed to be warmer than the others or viceversa.  I was thinking about getting the Moon Audio Black Dragon just because:
(1) many head-fiers (including Jude) think highly of them and the Cables I've purchased from Drew have always been very good quality; and
(2) I need a 20 foot replacement headphone cable given that my Lazy Boy at the family room is a long distance from my audio system(s), which Moon-Audio can readily supply, and it is the cheapest cable of the whole bunch.

So, any suggestions?

Sorry figaro69, but I can't help you with which cable to choose because I've never used any, the only custom cable I have is used on my HD-600 which can be seen in my profile.
Regarding the weight of different cables, it looks like the Double Helix is going to be the heaviest, but unless those that are using it will be listening to their headphones stood up, I can't see that added weight being that noticeable.
The two full size headphones I use with my GS-Xmk2 are the HD-600 and LCD-XC, and I decided to weigh them both today including their 4 pin XLR cable, the LCD-XC with the new headband I did. My HD-600 weighs 371g, whereas my LCD-XC weighs 795g. I'm mentioning this because believe it or not, I find my LCD-XC is more comfortable than my HD-600. I've put some foam to the inside of the new headband which I find does improve the comfort quite a lot. Since listening to the LCD-XC though, my 009's feel light as a feather.
post #381 of 1563

Getting a pair of LCD-XCs next month and want a shorter (unbalanced) cable.

Is anyone making simple straightforward rugged cables for these headphones? I don't need fancy wire, and the braided ones don't do anything for me (besides being questionable from an electronics standpoint).

Any tips? If I can't find anything reasonable ready made I'll make my own if I can find a reference for the wiring diagram and a good source for the connectors.

post #382 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbradley02 View Post
 

Getting a pair of LCD-XCs next month and want a shorter (unbalanced) cable.

Is anyone making simple straightforward rugged cables for these headphones? I don't need fancy wire, and the braided ones don't do anything for me (besides being questionable from an electronics standpoint).

Any tips? If I can't find anything reasonable ready made I'll make my own if I can find a reference for the wiring diagram and a good source for the connectors.

I love my ALO Green Line cables for travel! W/ the adapter kit - you can always be sure you won't have the wrong end.

Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 too

 

But the ALO's are much more affordable - and they're great

post #383 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

I love my ALO Green Line cables for travel! W/ the adapter kit - you can always be sure you won't have the wrong end.

Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 too

 

But the ALO's are much more affordable - and they're great

$279 and only in 6'

 

I think I have found what I want from a pro custom cable manufacturer. Will send them an email. Found the LCD wiring digram online.

post #384 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post


Sorry figaro69, but I can't help you with which cable to choose because I've never used any, the only custom cable I have is used on my HD-600 which can be seen in my profile.
Regarding the weight of different cables, it looks like the Double Helix is going to be the heaviest, but unless those that are using it will be listening to their headphones stood up, I can't see that added weight being that noticeable.
The two full size headphones I use with my GS-Xmk2 are the HD-600 and LCD-XC, and I decided to weigh them both today including their 4 pin XLR cable, the LCD-XC with the new headband I did. My HD-600 weighs 371g, whereas my LCD-XC weighs 795g. I'm mentioning this because believe it or not, I find my LCD-XC is more comfortable than my HD-600. I've put some foam to the inside of the new headband which I find does improve the comfort quite a lot. Since listening to the LCD-XC though, my 009's feel light as a feather.

thanks for responding.  Almost everything feels light as a feather after the XCs, yet somehow, I don't find them to be uncomfortable.

post #385 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

 

True but if you have $2K in one hand and the HD800 in the other... a cable isn't the path to the best results for Can411.

NO doubt!

That's why I said IF.  You're absolute right. Get the cans first, and if you don't have an amp up to snuff go for that for SURE.

Then, if you can, pepper the sound however you like w/ anything else (cables, Stein products, etc.).

 

I wasn't a big fan of Lehmann, but I just wrote about the Lehmann Audio Linear w/ @HiFiGuy528 and I really loved it w/ my HD800's!

So that's less than 2k - I even like the CEntrance HiFi-M8 w/ my HD800's! That things like a desktop amp and portable all rolled into one!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phototristan View Post
 

Agreed. I just ordered a Q Audio Silk for my LCD3s (had the cotton version previously and was happy). 

 

All Audeze LCD headphones are heavy enough, added a heavy cable would not be conducive to comfort at all. 

This is a point I shouldv'e emphasized when mentioning how great the Double Helix cables sounded!!!

 

They are, for me, a strictly at-home listening cable.

 

I travel w/ my ALO Green Line, Moon Audio Silver Drago V3, 

or Cardas Clear if I know I just need a 1/4".

post #386 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

NO doubt!

That's why I said IF.  You're absolute right. Get the cans first, and if you don't have an amp up to snuff go for that for SURE.

Then, if you can, pepper the sound however you like w/ anything else (cables, Stein products, etc.).

 

I wasn't a big fan of Lehmann, but I just wrote about the Lehmann Audio Linear w/ @HiFiGuy528 and I really loved it w/ my HD800's!

So that's less than 2k - I even like the CEntrance HiFi-M8 w/ my HD800's! That things like a desktop amp and portable all rolled into one!

 

This is a point I shouldv'e emphasized when mentioning how great the Double Helix cables sounded!!!

 

They are, for me, a strictly at-home listening cable.

 

I travel w/ my ALO Green Line, Moon Audio Silver Drago V3,

or Cardas Clear if I know I just need a 1/4".

What can you tell us about the Cardas Clear? I'm assuming you have the Green line for neutrality, Silver dragon for details/soundstage/airy treble, and the Cardas Clear to warm things up a bit.  I am correct in making such an assumption?

post #387 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post

thanks for responding.  Almost everything feels light as a feather after the XCs, yet somehow, I don't find them to be uncomfortable.

The problem I had with my LCD-XC when it had it's original headband on, was the clamping, but since I put the new headband on there's almost no more clamping, funnily though, my LCD's feel a lot more secure now and I find them a pleasure to wear, whereas with their original headband, I didn't.
post #388 of 1563

The original band is just metal so grab it at both ends and bend away.  Or go all OCD like I do and use a preformed shape to bend it evenly across the whole range.  Preform being the top of my dining room chairs in my case.  Enough clamp to seal but not crush the pads into my skull.  Because yes, that original bend was clearly designed with a 4 year old in mind :P

post #389 of 1563
I can no longer put my LCD's original headband on because in order to put the new headband on, the part on each yoke where the original headband screwed on has been removed, and a new hole has been drilled in the centre of the yokes.
post #390 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbradley02 View Post
 

Getting a pair of LCD-XCs next month and want a shorter (unbalanced) cable.

Is anyone making simple straightforward rugged cables for these headphones? I don't need fancy wire, and the braided ones don't do anything for me (besides being questionable from an electronics standpoint).

Any tips? If I can't find anything reasonable ready made I'll make my own if I can find a reference for the wiring diagram and a good source for the connectors.


Second, I would love a shorter cable for my XCs since I am using them as portable phones like a maniac 😍

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum