New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AUDEZE LCD XC - Page 25

post #361 of 1563

I wish I had ears like yours :), I have ALO ref 8, 16 cables, diff interconnects, etc, I thought it will make the sound quality improved but I was wrong (just me).

 

I cannot tell any differences between the stock cable vs reference cables. 

Only cable that makes bit (very tiny) differences is the ALO ref 8 balance cable, then again I am throwing balance mode as a variable so I cannot really say after market cable make any differences.

 

We are talking about sound differences between 14 to 28 AWG, OCC type, copper and silver etc.

Not really sure human ears are that sensitive to tell the quality of the conductor signals.

 

Maybe my ears are not meant to be an audiophile, or am I expecting too much from the after market cables ?  someone help me, I am serious.


Edited by Canadian411 - 12/21/13 at 1:30pm
post #362 of 1563
After swapping my copper RCA interconnects from the BHSE to the GS-Xmk2, and vice versa with my silver XLR's, I then started listening to my LCD-XC / GS-Xmk2 and 009 / BHSE. Because I'm able to switch listening from one combo to the other in seconds via my source, I was able to hear the difference between the combo's easily. While I'm very happy with the LCD-XC / GS-Xmk2, if I wanted to hear the best musical experience from my headphone combo's, I'd always choose the 009 / BHSE.
Like it's been suggested though, I might get some copper XLR interconnects and use them with my BHSE, instead of the silver XLR's.
post #363 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

After swapping my copper RCA interconnects from the BHSE to the GS-Xmk2, and vice versa with my silver XLR's, I then started listening to my LCD-XC / GS-Xmk2 and 009 / BHSE. Because I'm able to switch listening from one combo to the other in seconds via my source, I was able to hear the difference between the combo's easily. While I'm very happy with the LCD-XC / GS-Xmk2, if I wanted to hear the best musical experience from my headphone combo's, I'd always choose the 009 / BHSE.
Like it's been suggested though, I might get some copper XLR interconnects and use them with my BHSE, instead of the silver XLR's.

I just read a striking note on cables, and the snake-oil stuff, from a man who's been building this stuff for almost longer than I've been alive!

I'm gonna ask his permission to share it here.

But I do accredit the differences I hear in cables to the cans, AND the amp of course.

 

But it's like a good loudspeaker right?

It'll tell ya what your system - cables, amp, line-stage, etc. are doing.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post
 

I wish I had ears like yours :), I have ALO ref 8, 16 cables, diff interconnects, etc, I thought it will make the sound quality improved but I was wrong (just me).

 

I cannot tell any differences between the stock cable vs reference cables. 

Only cable that makes bit (very tiny) differences is the ALO ref 8 balance cable, then again I am throwing balance mode as a variable so I cannot really say after market cable make any differences.

 

We are talking about sound differences between 14 to 28 AWG, OCC type, copper and silver etc.

Not really sure human ears are that sensitive to tell the quality of the conductor signals.

 

Maybe my ears are not meant to be an audiophile, or am I expecting too much from the after market cables ?  someone help me, I am serious.

No no.

This is all in the ear of the beholder. If you didn't perceive a difference, that's your answer!

That's why I try to stay away from making blanket statements, and always say this is how I heard it,

how the system felt/sounded to me (because remember, we're always listening to a system, never the one thing).

 

I also believe component synergy means everything.

 

I've had situations where I couldn't hear a difference in cables too!

 

So don't think there's anything right or wrong in this.

You chase the sound you're looking for - by any means necessary.

post #364 of 1563
With the cables I have, I do think there's a difference between copper and silver because I can hear it.
When using copper I find the music seems to sound warmer, whereas with silver there's more detail.
Which is why I'd sooner use my copper RCA interconnects with my 009 / BHSE because IMO that combo is already very detailed and transparent.
However, when listening to my HD-600 / GS-Xmk2, I find those headphones sound best when using silver cables, they also sound a lot better when using the 4 pin XLR connection on the GS-X.
Like it's been said by another head-fier, it looks like the LCD-XC may sound best from using copper cables.
Now whether there's a difference in SQ from using different copper cables, I don't know, same with different silver cables.
post #365 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

With the cables I have, I do think there's a difference between copper and silver because I can hear it.
When using copper I find the music seems to sound warmer, whereas with silver there's more detail.
Which is why I'd sooner use my copper RCA interconnects with my 009 / BHSE because IMO that combo is already very detailed and transparent.
However, when listening to my HD-600 / GS-Xmk2, I find those headphones sound best when using silver cables, they also sound a lot better when using the 4 pin XLR connection on the GS-X.
Like it's been said by another head-fier, it looks like the LCD-XC may sound best from using copper cables.
Now whether there's a difference in SQ from using different copper cables, I don't know, same with different silver cables.

 

I can envision what you're saying here. Of course single crystal OCC cables could also render different sonic results that dual crystal, and so on...

But I've experienced the very same thing w/ certain revealing headphones - and before that I heard some amazing differences in cables that utilized OCC vs silver when it came to line-stage to power amp connections, or interconnects between source and pre-amp! That was also always a good indicator of the component's resolving capabiities.

 

Thus far, I've not yet experienced another set of cans that render greater, more immediate sonic differences when changing even the slightest thing in the signal path (and outside of the direct path, like resonance control devices, etc) than the LCD-X's and XC's! I should say the HD800 is also very revealing to me - and the LCD-3's are also good examples of cans that do this - but not as drastically as the X and XC...


Edited by mikemercer - 12/22/13 at 9:31am
post #366 of 1563
When head-fier britneedadvice visited my place mikemercer, he brought with him his HD-800 and HDVD-800 to compare to my 009 / BHSE. ( this was before I had the LCD-XC ) After hearing his HD-800 and HDVD-800, ( my K-01 was used as source ) I thought the soundstage was better than my 009's, but IMO the 009's bettered the 800's on everything else, in fact I prefer the sound of the LCD-XC over the HD-800, but I like the 009's more than the LCD-XC, but not by a lot.
post #367 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

When head-fier britneedadvice visited my place mikemercer, he brought with him his HD-800 and HDVD-800 to compare to my 009 / BHSE. ( this was before I had the LCD-XC ) After hearing his HD-800 and HDVD-800, ( my K-01 was used as source ) I thought the soundstage was better than my 009's, but IMO the 009's bettered the 800's on everything else, in fact I prefer the sound of the LCD-XC over the HD-800, but I like the 009's more than the LCD-XC, but not by a lot.


Ok, since you are more experienced and have better equipment than me, is it worth to get HD800+Double Helix cable (total of $4000) or SR009 ?

Does HD800 + "fancy/best" after market cable that worth $2k-$3k in addition sounds better than SR009 ?

post #368 of 1563

No.

post #369 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post



Ok, since you are more experienced and have better equipment than me, is it worth to get HD800+Double Helix cable (total of $4000) or SR009 ?
Does HD800 + "fancy/best" after market cable that worth $2k-$3k in addition sounds better than SR009 ?

While I might have what's considered to be a very good audio setup, it doesn't mean I'm experienced with different headphones and audio gear, because I'm not. I've only heard the HD-800 twice, once at a head-fi meeting in 2012, which at that time I didn't rate the HD-800's, and when Britneedadvice brought his HD-800 to my place when they did sound better than at that meeting. I've also never heard the Double Helix cable with anything, but I might eventually get that cable to use with my LCD-XC.
Out of all the headphones I've heard ( which is not that many ) including the SR-007mk1 with the BHSE, the SR-009 is the best I've even heard, but not with every song though.
I'm not saying the HD-800 is a bad sounding headphone because it's not, I just prefer the 009 followed by the LCD-XC.
I also can't see the HD-800 sounding better than the 009 after putting the Double Helix cable on it, but someone else might.
post #370 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post


While I might have what's considered to be a very good audio setup, it doesn't mean I'm experienced with different headphones and audio gear, because I'm not. I've only heard the HD-800 twice, once at a head-fi meeting in 2012, which at that time I didn't rate the HD-800's, and when Britneedadvice brought his HD-800 to my place when they did sound better than at that meeting. I've also never heard the Double Helix cable with anything, but I might eventually get that cable to use with my LCD-XC.
Out of all the headphones I've heard ( which is not that many ) including the SR-007mk1 with the BHSE, the SR-009 is the best I've even heard, but not with every song though.
I'm not saying the HD-800 is a bad sounding headphone because it's not, I just prefer the 009 followed by the LCD-XC.
I also can't see the HD-800 sounding better than the 009 after putting the Double Helix cable on it, but someone else might.

I could never say for sure which I would enjoy more - my HD800's or the 009's w/ the Double Helix without hearing them side-by-side.

I enjoy the 009's though!!

 

and I highly recommend the Double Helix for the LCD-XC's!

Sure, its not a cable you'd bring w/ you on the road (well, my silly-a__ would) - but man it's made the addiction to my LCD-XC's even worse!

Or Better :D

 

BTW - posted a user review of the LCD-XC here today,

CHECK IT OUT

wanted to do that before I dug even deeper into it for Part-Time Audiophile and Audio360.org!!

 

Hope you guys like the user review

- check it out if you got 5 min...

post #371 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post
 


Ok, since you are more experienced and have better equipment than me, is it worth to get HD800+Double Helix cable (total of $4000) or SR009 ?

Does HD800 + "fancy/best" after market cable that worth $2k-$3k in addition sounds better than SR009 ?

I love my HD800's - and I like the 009's VERY much.

But if you're digging you 009's - then I'd focus on getting the best performance out of those that you can!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

No.

but we truly never know what we're gonna like!!

But when you got a pair of cans you're diggin - like your Stax - I say do whatever possible to squeeze out the best results for YOU!


Edited by mikemercer - 12/22/13 at 7:52pm
post #372 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

I highly recommend the Double Helix for the LCD-XC's!

 

How much is that thing BTW?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

Sure, its not a cable you'd bring w/ you on the road (well, my silly-a__ would) - but man it's made the addiction to my LCD-XC's even worse!

Or Better :D

 

Yeah, you totally would.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

wanted to do that before I dug even deeper into it for Part-Time Audiophile and Audio360.org!!

 

It's gonna be epic.  :smile:

post #373 of 1563
One of the reasons why I prefer listening with headphones rather than speakers, is with headphones I feel more part of the music, if that makes any sense, and while some will enjoy the HD-800's soundstage, I don't because it makes the music sound too distant to me, so I feel less part of the music. Also in headphones I like as much detail and transparency as possible and the 009 is the best headphone I've heard for that, but I'm also very happy with the LCD-XC and if or when I eventually get the Double Helix cable to use with it, I should be even happier.

P.S. While I prefer headphones over speakers, when I auditioned the K-01 it was a speaker setup that was used, and it was the closest to life like sound I've ever heard from an audio system, but I'd still sooner listen to headphones.
post #374 of 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

One of the reasons why I prefer listening with headphones rather than speakers, is with headphones I feel more part of the music, if that makes any sense, and while some will enjoy the HD-800's soundstage, I don't because it makes the music sound too distant to me.........

+1. This is what caused me to stay away from the 800 and in fact, the Stax as well. Given my liking for only one genre of music, i.e. classic rock, I actually prefer slightly less detail and a bit of warmth from my HPs. Which the Audez'e cans deliver in spades, especially the 3 and now the XC. But whew the DHC price man ? That wallet is now at 0% body fat :(

post #375 of 1563
The 009 does have soundstage, but IMO nothing like the HD-800, I also find the LCD-XC's do have plenty of detail, it's just with them being closed headphones that detail doesn't sound as much as the 009's.
The Double Helix cable isn't cheap, but I look at it this way, it only has to be paid for once, and if it improve on the SQ, then to me it's worth it.
When I received the K-01 and unpacked it, because of it's expense I thought what have I done, but after hearing it, that thought soon went away.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum