New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AUDEZE LCD XC - Page 23

post #331 of 1679

That cable looks pretty ugly with the XC.

post #332 of 1679

I just got my LCD-XC a few days ago after listening to the LCD-2's for a few weeks (having jumped at that Back Friday / Cyber Monday deal) and wanted to create an account to offer my thoughts:

 

They are heavy but have not been uncomfortable on my ears in any way.

 

They seem to be more "unforgiving" of source material than the LCD-2s are

 

The bass is very enjoyable and seems to have more presence than in the LCD-2s

 

I am finding the slightly lower impedance a benefit as I move from one source to another frequently

 

I can clearly hear people moving around in the recording space on several of my favorite classical tracks that I have noticed with my Grado RS-2's but I feel like I am in the room actually seeing these people shift in their chairs and occasionally suppress a cough or other noise.  At one point on one of the tracks I can hear someone walking softly across a part of the room - something that I have never heard before - even with the Grados

 

In a perfectly quiet room with a headphone amplifier, I would probably prefer the LCD-2s on most of my classical music - For rock /pop I would use the LCD-XC

 

In any situation short of the ideal one above - the LCD-XCs will allow me to listen everywhere I want to be and from a wider range of available devices.  

 

I know it is far from ideal etc.  But the Iphone will drive the LCD-XC to plenty of volume even for softer classical passages (I know this is not ideal but I often want to listen in far from ideal situations ((cooking, riding in the car, at work)) I say the Iphone specifically - I find all the windows tablets, android tablets, android phones, even most computers will not provide the level of output that allows me to enjoy dynamic classical music with most headphones other than earbuds - rock and pop yes - classical no.

 

 

I apologize for my newness to the world of higher end audio but I hope some of my observations might help inform others and I want to share how much I am enjoying these products and thank you to this community for helping me make these acquisitions.  

post #333 of 1679

I've done the new headband for my LCD-XC, [ which is virtually the same as the one I did on my 009's, the brackets are different on this one though ] but because the heads on the screws I'm using to attach the yokes to the LCD's ear pieces are too thick, I'm unable to fix the new headband to my LCD's ear pieces. So I've taken some of those screws to the engineer that did the brackets, for him to thin down those screw heads.

 

 

 

 

Sorry about the poor photo quality, but they were taken in artificial light.

 

 

Because I've only guessed at how wide the brackets needed to be, I may need to have some more done wider, but I'll find that out tomorrow after I've attached the headband to my LCD-XC's ear pieces.

 

Once I've got my LCD-XC to fit comfortably, I'm seeing about having the brackets and screws done in black to match the rest of the headband.

post #334 of 1679
Deleted
Edited by David1961 - 12/18/13 at 11:00am
post #335 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
 

I've done the new headband for my LCD-XC, [ which is virtually the same as the one I did on my 009's, the brackets are different on this one though ] but because the heads on the screws I'm using to attach the yokes to the LCD's ear pieces are too thick, I'm unable to fix the new headband to my LCD's ear pieces. So I've taken some of those screws to the engineer that did the brackets, for him to thin down those screw heads.

 

 

 

 

Sorry about the poor photo quality, but they were taken in artificial light.

 

 

Because I've only guessed at how wide the brackets needed to be, I may need to have some more done wider, but I'll find that out tomorrow after I've attached the headband to my LCD-XC's ear pieces.

 

Once I've got my LCD-XC to fit comfortably, I'm seeing about having the brackets and screws done in black to match the rest of the headband.

AMAZING!!

Good for you! I wish I was that handy to do things like that myself! I've done simple things, but when it comes to detail on gear-related mods I'm messay as F___.

 

Very cool - eager to hear how they work out! And doing the black sounds like an awesome idea.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodog View Post
 

I just got my LCD-XC a few days ago after listening to the LCD-2's for a few weeks (having jumped at that Back Friday / Cyber Monday deal) and wanted to create an account to offer my thoughts:

 

They are heavy but have not been uncomfortable on my ears in any way.

 

They seem to be more "unforgiving" of source material than the LCD-2s are

 

The bass is very enjoyable and seems to have more presence than in the LCD-2s

 

I am finding the slightly lower impedance a benefit as I move from one source to another frequently

 

I can clearly hear people moving around in the recording space on several of my favorite classical tracks that I have noticed with my Grado RS-2's but I feel like I am in the room actually seeing these people shift in their chairs and occasionally suppress a cough or other noise.  At one point on one of the tracks I can hear someone walking softly across a part of the room - something that I have never heard before - even with the Grados

 

In a perfectly quiet room with a headphone amplifier, I would probably prefer the LCD-2s on most of my classical music - For rock /pop I would use the LCD-XC

 

In any situation short of the ideal one above - the LCD-XCs will allow me to listen everywhere I want to be and from a wider range of available devices.  

 

I know it is far from ideal etc.  But the Iphone will drive the LCD-XC to plenty of volume even for softer classical passages (I know this is not ideal but I often want to listen in far from ideal situations ((cooking, riding in the car, at work)) I say the Iphone specifically - I find all the windows tablets, android tablets, android phones, even most computers will not provide the level of output that allows me to enjoy dynamic classical music with most headphones other than earbuds - rock and pop yes - classical no.

 

 

I apologize for my newness to the world of higher end audio but I hope some of my observations might help inform others and I want to share how much I am enjoying these products and thank you to this community for helping me make these acquisitions.  

In a perfectly quiet room with a headphone amplifier, I would probably prefer the LCD-2s on most of my classical music - For rock /pop I would use the LCD-XC

RIGHT ON  - well said! I'd say the same about preferring my LCD-3's for acoustic music, especially wide-open recordings, even with minimal micing and small space.

I love my 3's when it comes to re-creating a sense of the visceral presence of live music in a room with me.

They were the first headphone that did that for me - coming from the high end two-channel in-room world.

 

and you don't need to apologize here brotha.

Your observations are as important as Everybody's here!!

post #336 of 1679
Both headbands mikemercer were very easy to do. I got the idea after getting a pair of Senn HD-600's and all the two headbands are, are the complete replacement headband for the HD-600. All I did was take the yoke sections off and have the brackets made by a local engineer which the brackets can be seen in the photos.

My 009's with the headband I did are extremely comfortable, so I can't see any reason why my LCD-XC's won't be the same, but like I said, the brackets might need to be altered.

P.S. While I put 3M Di-Noc carbon fibre sheeting around both headbands, for extra comfort I put on the inside of the headbands a thin strip of black rubber, and also a thin strip of black leather.
Edited by David1961 - 12/18/13 at 11:19pm
post #337 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

I didn't find this to be the case at all w/ my rigs.

 

We weren't playing the reality game.  We're playing the read the freq resp game :P  I do not own the XC, just the 3.  I need to dump my open cans and go closed/low leak but am on the fence as to whether I go XC or the ciem route.

post #338 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post


 I need to dump my open cans and go closed/low leak but am on the fence as to whether I go XC or the ciem route.


Having the LCD-XC and UM Miracle, when it comes to isolation and comfort, with the UM Miracle being a CIEM, IMO it easily betters the LCD -XC.
post #339 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

 

We weren't playing the reality game.  We're playing the read the freq resp game :P  I do not own the XC, just the 3.  I need to dump my open cans and go closed/low leak but am on the fence as to whether I go XC or the ciem route.

AH!

Gotcha :L3000:

 

I totally understand ANY and ALL apprehension on your part in making the transition from open to closed!

Full-time?

 

I still prefer open headphones, hands down for me. Maybe that's because my roots are in the high end tweaky

stereo world, but I also needed closed cans that brought me close to the open experience. So I totally get it

now!!

 

I have to listen to my 3's again this week - but I do prefer their overall warmth and texture sometimes - but

the X, and even the XC, thanks to their new Fazor technology, or perhaps it's something else (material science,

who knows) - but these new cans connect me emotionally, they engage me as deeply as the most insane high end

stereo I've heard. That's what the LCD-3 did for me. The new headphones are astonishingly good, and my expectations

were OFF THE WALL.

 

Plus - I got to hear the prototype of the X (they didn't even tell me what it was called, don't think it had a name at that point)

months before it came out. And when I heard it I honestly thought I was hearing the next evolution in the Audeze sound:

 

As emotionally engaging as I expected, even a bit more-so, because the spacial quality was so instantly intriguing, and it

all sounded so natural, I was jonzing for that set of headphones for many months after hearing them!

 

The same goes for the XC - as I had just bought Dan's Mad Dogs at the LA Meet earlier this year, and then the Alpha Dogs

after I heard em at the California Audio Show - and I was content - having closed cans that didn't bug my wifey when I'm not

workin in my office - that felt natural too.

 

But the X and XC are impressing me the more time I spend with em.

I will say this - as I said in a post somewhere - the LCD-X has become my favorite headphone for recreational listening

and studio monitoring - I worked at my buddies studio up here recently, and I brought my trusty LCD-3's and the new X,

and the X, when mixing, was more accurate - and I HATE that word, but the 3 was warmer to my ears.

 

And I don't mind the warmth! I love it.

 

But, and sorry to just dump my brain here (workin on my full reviews of them both) the XC has, for me, elevated my view

of what's possible in a closed-back headphone. The Alpha Dogs are a fantastic set of cans. They never leave my messenger bag,

but the LCD-XC got me as close to my favorite open-back listening sesh's as any closed design I've heard thus far...

 

and I LOVE it w/ my E.A.R HP4 or ALO Studio Six amps!

Uh.. Heaven! When I listen to their new stuff on those amps I feel like I'm listening to a multi-thousand dollar two-channel in-room

system!!

 

 

and HEY - if they made something I didn't like I'd have to admit that. But they haven't let me down yet, and I think that's a GOOD

thing.

post #340 of 1679

Hi guys!  :smile:

 

Like Mercer, I'm a bit late to this party.  After being labeled hype generators for the new Audezes a couple of months ago, we thought it best to just cool it for a while... at least until other people had a chance to sample their wares.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknightDK View Post
 

Looking forward to those XC impressions. Comparisons between the LCD X and LCD 3 are most welcome (although its closed vs open design). Would be good to find out if the XCs are essentially the X with a closed design or if there are any voicing differences.

 

I would definitely say that there are voicing differences.  In other words, it doesn't sound like they just closed up an LCD-X.  Full review coming soon.  :smile:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHZADA123 View Post
 

Since this is essentially a portable headphone, at least for me, I'd like to know which portable amps work best.

Thus far the impression I get from reading earliest reviews is it's less darker than the LCD3s, so should pair well with the RSA 71B.

The 3s have great synergy with the iQube V2. Not so great with the 71B.

 

I can jot down some impressions with an O2 if you like, but I don't have an SR-71B.  Actually, I don't plan on adding amplification when I run these portably, just going to run them straight out of an AK120.  One of the reasons why I opted for an AK120 is because I didn't want to build a brick.  I want to be able to shove something inconspicuous into my pocket and then go.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesure View Post
 

So I've been going back and forth with the X's and XC's.  I'm coming to the conclusion that both are excellent headphones, but they are more cousins than siblings.

 

Hi Lee, I would definitely concur with this.  Both are spectacular sounding, each in their own way.  Having to pick between the two would be a decision that I wouldn't want to make...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHZADA123 View Post
 

Incredibly well balanced from top to bottom.

 

Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
 

Have been listening on my XCs - and they render my TH-900 not to be used. The U-shaped sound of the TH-900 is a big no-no for me, now that I have the more "linear" XCs.

 

Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Live notes as I'm listening and comparing between the two XC  & TH-900. Note I'm not going to talk about FR 'cos I think it's quite obvious that the TH-900 is somewhat U shaped whereas the XCs have more forward mids (although I'm still not certain if I call the XCs neutral yet). So I'd agree with kurochin's comment that it's really eventually apples to oranges.

 

Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

So any XC owners can comment on the bass compared to a TH900 or Denon ?

 

Very much agree here.

 

The LCD-XC is clearly more balanced than a TH-900 for me.  Though, not all TH-900 owners might like this.  For music, I consider the LCD-XC's LF response to be unquestionably more accurate than a TH-900.  But for those who use their TH-900 for things like movies, I can see where they would not appreciate the leaner and more analytical bass that the LCD-XC offers... it's just not as cinematic for lack of a better word... though it would easily be superior to a TH-900 for dialog.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesure View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Leesure, when you say the X wins outright in bass, but the XC has bass in truckloads, do you mean to say that you like the more balanced bass of the X but the XC has a lot more of it in general?  If so that might not be a bad thing for a lot of us.


I don't think it's 'more' bass with the XC. I think they're about the same amount and depth, but the X is more natural...and yes, perhaps more balanced. They both have lots of deep bass, the X is just more realistic, IMO.

 

Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

I just want to know how the bass of the two compare in more tangible terms-- which one has longer decay, more quantity, more slam etc.  Realism is a bit ambiguous.  Actually scratch slam, I've seen that interpreted a thousand different ways as well.

 

Just wanted to chime in here for a second.  I found that the LCD-X's bass response was warmer and with a more natural decay.  By contrast, the LCD-XC presents what most would regard as a leaner and more analytical bass:  attack seems slightly faster/sharper; decay is definitely faster.  Regarding the difference in quantity of bass, I would say that I perceive some more bass with an LCD-X than and LCD-XC, though not by a wide margin at all.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

 

Funny enough, the new 2013 Beats are a definite step in the right direction over the cruddy old Beats.

 

It is.  It's still not good, but I can't say it's outright bad.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurochin View Post

^ I never understood the notion of closed not being able to compete with open.

 

In my experience, open-backed headphones have an easier time conveying a sense of space, openness, and airyness.  It's not an iron-clad rule that open-back cans can do this and closed-back cans can't.  But it does happen with enough frequency that I feel comfortable with the generalization.  This doesn't have anything to do with "being able to compete" or anything though, they're just different in that way.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

If they do have that same 'acoustic optimizer' slot as the Denon 2/5/7 series I'd consider them semi-open as well.

 

Raven, I'm definitely with you here.  I've found, almost without exception, that any port large enough to do its job also tends to lower isolation to the point where it would be somewhat misleading to imply they are closed in any way.  In fact, in terms of isolation, I would tend to lump all of the semi-open cans I've heard in with open cans.  Personally, I consider it a binary thing.  In the same way someone can't be semi-pregnant, I don't think cans can be semi-closed in any meaningful way.  They simply do not isolate the way closed cans do.  It's not a good or bad thing, just being realistic about the expected experience.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

i personally would not buy the XC because its heavier than TH-900, isn't as good looking, and probably a little harder to drive. I would look weird at work wearing XC's too;) 

 

Lol, you run a particle accelerator don't you?  I suspect that an LCD-XC would be one of the more mundane looking things in the room.  ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phototristan View Post
 

From what I understand, the bass is actually less on the XCs than the LCD2/3s. 

 

I'm not so sure about that - but I'll do a side-by-side w/ my LCD-3!!

 

I think the bass is definitely different in terms of it's characteristics. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
 

I'm working on a video review of both cans (dependant on not having my kids interrupt me).

 

LOL, so next year then?  :D

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
 

Have a look at my (adjusted) graph, where I matched the bass response of both graphs together, instead of at 1kHz, which is what HeadRoom does. 

The deep bass is on the left, behind the "HeadRoom" of the logo. Mids are around (?) the 1kHz area.

 

Notice the gap between the X in red and XC in blue in the middle of the HeadRoom headphone logo. That's mid/upper bass (Edit:) and lower mids there. So the XCs with the same music sound a bit thinner with some music. I wouldn't call it "less bass" as such because it depends on the music.

 

Thanks for that Currawong!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post

 

Plus - I got to hear the prototype of the X (they didn't even tell me what it was called, don't think it had a name at that point)

months before it came out. And when I heard it I honestly thought I was hearing the next evolution in the Audeze sound

 

I like it.  :smile:  I like it a lot.

post #341 of 1679

I've put the new headband on my LCD-XC and the easiest way to compare comfort wise, is the LCD-XC with it's original headband felt like wearing tight boots, whereas with the new headband it's like wearing slippers. However even though my LCD-XC is now very comfortable with almost no clamping, they are not perfect. Because of the weight of the ear pieces, and that I only put a thin strip of rubber and leather on the inside of the headband, the band does press on the top of my shaven head slightly, a way to solve that though is just to put some foam on the inside. That didn't stop me from listening to them for a couple hours today, in fact I almost fell asleep with them on.

 

The SQ, because I can no longer put the original headband on my LCD's, I wasn't able to do a proper comparison, but with the new headband the music seemed to have more impact. I was listening to CD's though and one was a SACD, whereas before I put the new headband on, I used the same sources DAC. 

 

 

Anyway, here are some photos of my new look LCD-XC, along with my 009.

 

 

     

 

     

 

It can be made out that the brackets on both headphones are slightly different, I had to do this because of the different yokes.

 

 

 

     AppleMark      AppleMark

post #342 of 1679

No one should forget that the headphone is just one piece of equipment at the end of a long path.  If your other equipment is very good, it will make any headphone you try (within reason) sound better and, in the process, narrow the differences between them to some degree.   

post #343 of 1679

I just got mine, and they are wonderful. From what I remember of the T5ps, the XCs have a fuller body and don't sound as sterile. Their bass is not as nice as the LCD-3s, but it is great for acoustic and classical music. I am looking forward to getting my pico!

post #344 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
 

I just got mine, and they are wonderful. From what I remember of the T5ps, the XCs have a fuller body and don't sound as sterile. Their bass is not as nice as the LCD-3s, but it is great for acoustic and classical music. I am looking forward to getting my pico!

I got mine yesterday (and I can compare them to the LCD-Xs, since I got those about 10 days ago).  I agree wholeheartedly with your comments.  I will write more extensively about the XCs later today or maybe tomorrow.  All I can say, from by brief exposure to them, is that they are a complete and unmitigated triumph with classical music.  I also have the T5ps as one of my portable headphones and they do sound great with classical, but the XCs are, indeed, fuller, punchier, meatier, and ultimately much more satisfying.  Audeze keeps going from strength to strength!!!

post #345 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post

No one should forget that the headphone is just one piece of equipment at the end of a long path.  If your other equipment is very good, it will make any headphone you try (within reason) sound better and, in the process, narrow the differences between them to some degree.   

I'm mostly using my LCD-XC with my GS-Xmk2 and Esoteric K-01, so I agree a good amp and source should improve most headphones. I also use silver XLR interconnects which I'm very happy with.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum