I'm confused between getting a Sony PHA-1 or PHA-2 DAC/Amp for my Ipod Classic. My source obviously is 16/44. Now we have one DAC that can do up to 24/96 ( way more than my source ) and the other up to 24/192. I'm not interested in DSD, or upsampling at all. Now , all things being equal, would I benefit from a 24/192 DAC for 16/44 source ? Or technically a 16/44 DAC will do ? I'm aksing this by principle, and not taking in account the DAC quality, and other factors etc.... Thanks
- productSony PHA-1 Headphone Amptagged by nightmancometh, 11/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- PHA-1 or C5D? Last post on 12/11/13 at 8:39am in Portable Headphone Amps
- What specs should I look out for when buying portable DAC/amp both Mad Dogs and IEMs? Last post on 1/6/14 at 4:59pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Apple vs Android Last post on 12/10/13 at 10:30am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Need a bag/pouch to carry Iphone5 + Sony PHA-1 amp/dac Last post on 11/27/13 at 11:21pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sony PHA-1 Last post on 11/2/13 at 5:17am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
The review will comming soon
I used these for about three months at my desk at work. The left side went out in that short time. They were great while they lasted.
Hi When i brought these i hoped that they would sound amazing. But when i tried these i noticed that there was no bass at all. I'm a bass head. Now i brought the ferrari by logic3 T150. They...
Been looking for some new closed headphones, with only three at the moment and for some time in fact. Good ones, though: Sony MDR Z1000, Sony MDR 7520, and Senn Amperiors, Sometimes you just...
There are many great headphones in this SUB-$150 category , I have a good amount of headphones in the range and have tried a good enough of them to know what to expect in this category The...
DAC 24/96 or 24/192 for 16/44 source. Any difference ?post #1 of 711/17/13 at 9:58amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 711/19/13 at 3:48pmpost #3 of 711/20/13 at 3:38amThread Starter
Thanks, then PHA-1 would be OK in that case, since there is no advantage gained here from the 24/192 of the PHA-2 ( all things being equal of course ). But let me ask you another question: Why is it that many home CD players have internal built-in 24/196 DACs to play their 16/44 red book ? Is it from a marketing point of view ? Some are reputable brands also ???post #4 of 711/20/13 at 5:57amQuote:Originally Posted by zeiter
Thanks, then PHA-1 would be OK in that case, since there is no advantage gained here from the 24/192 of the PHA-2 ( all things being equal of course ). But let me ask you another question: Why is it that many home CD players have internal built-in 24/196 DACs to play their 16/44 red book ? Is it from a marketing point of view ? Some are reputable brands also ???
1) Because 24/192 chips are pretty much the standard today and are very cheap
2) SACD support
3) Some of the CD players allow external source which can take advantage of the 24/192
Edited by BenF - 11/20/13 at 6:13ampost #5 of 711/21/13 at 10:35am
You never know if you come across a 24/192 source going forward. It's better you have 24/192 support now and play only 16/44 source than have a 24/192 source and only have a 16/44 capable DAC.
Unless the price difference is significant and way out of your budget.post #6 of 711/21/13 at 3:33pmQuote:
He is not talking about standalone DACs, but about CD Players - which are usually their own source.post #7 of 711/21/13 at 5:37pmQuote:
I was responding to his original question about Sony PHA-1 & 2 which is the topic of this thread. Duh..
- DAC 24/96 or 24/192 for 16/44 source. Any difference ?
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › Chord Hugo 3 seconds ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 38 seconds ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Appreciation Thread+Review 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 1 minute ago
- › Story of a New Reviewer: kimvictor 1 minute ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Duet 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 3 minutes ago
- › Best Stores in Manhattan to Demo Headphones Before You Buy Them 4 minutes ago
- › Halide Design DAC HD by Zuqi
- › Sony MDR-ZX-700 by PurelyNicole
- › Klipsch Image S3 Nosie-Isolating Earphones with Patented Oval Ear-Tips by Arno Berck
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by zazex
- › Ultrasone HFI-450 by MrTechAgent
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude