I'm confused between getting a Sony PHA-1 or PHA-2 DAC/Amp for my Ipod Classic. My source obviously is 16/44. Now we have one DAC that can do up to 24/96 ( way more than my source ) and the other up to 24/192. I'm not interested in DSD, or upsampling at all. Now , all things being equal, would I benefit from a 24/192 DAC for 16/44 source ? Or technically a 16/44 DAC will do ? I'm aksing this by principle, and not taking in account the DAC quality, and other factors etc.... Thanks
- productSony PHA-1 Headphone Amptagged by nightmancometh, 11/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- PHA-1 or C5D? Last post on 12/11/13 at 8:39am in Portable Headphone Amps
- What specs should I look out for when buying portable DAC/amp both Mad Dogs and IEMs? Last post on 1/6/14 at 4:59pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Apple vs Android Last post on 12/10/13 at 10:30am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Need a bag/pouch to carry Iphone5 + Sony PHA-1 amp/dac Last post on 11/27/13 at 11:21pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sony PHA-1 Last post on 11/2/13 at 5:17am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
Build Quality & Design The build quality on these isn't so good in the long run, the entire headphone is mostly constructed out of plastic the only metal part on these cans would be the earcups,...
First off my gear is HeadRoom Micro DAC and Amp.(I don't see how people get by without the crossfeed circuit on older rock recordings) Out of the rather cheap box the high-end was brittle and harsh...
Note: All of my listening impressions of the Stax SR-202 were done with a Stax SRM-313 amplifier, which was hooked up to an AMB y2 DAC via the RCA input with SKW JIB braided interconnects. For the...
I will bypass the quality of their sound, as pretty much everyone has covered this topic above me... I have to say, I was not impressed with their cable quality, but apart from this, it seems to...
I am going to keep this short. SOURCE: Cowon C2 320 Kbps Mp3 and Flac files. GOOD: - Fits my ear properly. I am sure, whatever i do, they won't fall off. - Isolation, is...
DAC 24/96 or 24/192 for 16/44 source. Any difference ?post #1 of 711/17/13 at 9:58amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 711/19/13 at 3:48pmpost #3 of 711/20/13 at 3:38amThread Starter
Thanks, then PHA-1 would be OK in that case, since there is no advantage gained here from the 24/192 of the PHA-2 ( all things being equal of course ). But let me ask you another question: Why is it that many home CD players have internal built-in 24/196 DACs to play their 16/44 red book ? Is it from a marketing point of view ? Some are reputable brands also ???post #4 of 711/20/13 at 5:57amQuote:Originally Posted by zeiter
Thanks, then PHA-1 would be OK in that case, since there is no advantage gained here from the 24/192 of the PHA-2 ( all things being equal of course ). But let me ask you another question: Why is it that many home CD players have internal built-in 24/196 DACs to play their 16/44 red book ? Is it from a marketing point of view ? Some are reputable brands also ???
1) Because 24/192 chips are pretty much the standard today and are very cheap
2) SACD support
3) Some of the CD players allow external source which can take advantage of the 24/192
Edited by BenF - 11/20/13 at 6:13ampost #5 of 711/21/13 at 10:35am
You never know if you come across a 24/192 source going forward. It's better you have 24/192 support now and play only 16/44 source than have a 24/192 source and only have a 16/44 capable DAC.
Unless the price difference is significant and way out of your budget.post #6 of 711/21/13 at 3:33pmQuote:
He is not talking about standalone DACs, but about CD Players - which are usually their own source.post #7 of 711/21/13 at 5:37pmQuote:
I was responding to his original question about Sony PHA-1 & 2 which is the topic of this thread. Duh..
- DAC 24/96 or 24/192 for 16/44 source. Any difference ?
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › The Best Sounding Closed Phone For $200 And Below. Your Suggestion? 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum Balanced Mod 3 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 5 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 5 minutes ago
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation +... 5 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 3/12/2014: Monster... 10 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 12 minutes ago
- › Sony X Headphones MDR-X10 by DigitalGrounder
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by chrismini
- › Stax SR-202 by JustinBieber
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by Head-Head
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by G2F
- › ALO Audio The National by pieman3141
- › Ferrari AAV-1LFH009K Cavallino T350 Over-Ear Headphones by ourfpshero
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude