Purpose: To discuss driver alternatives that are being used within the Grado headphone cups. This would apply to both custom wooden cups, as well as the standard plastic Grado or Alessandro cups, as well as Mahogany cups made by Grado. Again, the emphisis is on non-Grado manufactured drivers.
- Koss 75 drivers: http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/4185#post_9948478
- Sennheiser PX100 II Drivers: http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/4200#post_9949100
- Frequency Charts: Grado RS1 Driver vs. Sennheiser PX100 II Driver: http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/4200#post_9950481
- JVC HAS-400B (Nanotube Drivers): http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/4245#post_9963193 and: http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/4245#post_9967038
- Beyerdynamic DT-990 Drivers: http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/4155#post_9939990 and: http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/4230#post_9959602
- Parts Express / Mouser Electronics / Lunashops Driver Mentions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/4185#post_9947911
- Unknown Make of 40mm Drivers from China: http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/4185#post_9948068
- Kobitone Drivers from Mouser Electronics: http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/4185#post_9948089
- 40mm Drivers from Conrad: http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/541342/LSF-40MF32OHM01W-miniature-speaker-32-150-Hz?ref=searchDetail
(other names for Conrad. Conrad Energy - they appear to make quite a few variations of 40mm drivers. Some down to 8 Ohm, with 86dB efficiency. Others can have 110dB efficiency with 32 Ohm operation. Also, they might have 100 Hz or 150 Hz frequency cut-offs, too.
New Items: Updated 1/23/2014: While I did purchase these drivers and try them, they did not provide for a good impression. I still prefer the Sennheiser PX100 II drivers as opposed to these two.
- Parts Express Headphone Drivers: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ce38mb-32-1-1-2-mini-speaker-black-32-ohm--285-131
- Parts Express Headphone Drivers: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ce38m-8-1-1-2-mini-speaker-8-ohm--285-129
Other Grado Links / Resources:
- Grado Fan Club thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club
- Grado RS1i Appreciation thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/444439/grado-rs1i-appreciation-thread
- Grado PS-1000 Appreciation tread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/520884/ps1000-appreciation-thread
- Grado Modders go Magnum thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/576717/grado-modders-go-magnum
- Post Your Grado Mods thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods
- SR-60 Mod Part II: http://www.head-fi.org/t/560806/sr60-mod-part-ii
- StratoKosster thread (Closed Grado Design): http://www.head-fi.org/t/611982/the-stratokosster-a-closed-diy-headphone-based-on-the-koss-ksc-75-driver-and-grado-cup-design
- The Great Grado Exeriment (4 Tonewoods Tested) thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/686212/the-great-grado-experiment-4-tonewoods-tested-more-to-come
- DIY Woody Grado Symphones Magnums - A Build Diary: http://www.head-fi.org/t/626114/diy-woody-grado-symphones-magnums-a-build-diary
- Woodie Grado Review and Impressions Thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/558621/woodied-grado-review-and-impressions-thread
Q: Should all posts in this thread be taken as pure fact?
A: No. The purpose for this thread is for members who have used non-Grado drivers within Grado, or Grado-sized cup housings (40mm - 45mm). This thread permits users to share their experiences with the non-Grado drivers and allows them to describe their impressions based on their efforts.
Q: Can we share our speculations and thoughts on certain drivers within this thread or suggest other drivers to test for fit, sound, etc.?
Questions / Suggestions? Please let me know if you have any.
Edited by wje - 3/29/14 at 7:17pm