Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset... - Page 11

post #151 of 328
Thread Starter 

Since I started this thread, a few solutions were found, most notably using MixAmps with a combination of chat cables.

 

For me on the other hand, I dont have a MixAmp.

 

 

I use a home theater receiver as my headphone amp and as my Dolby Headphone processor. I also have a TB DSS1, but the receiver is superior..the problem I still have is neither of my setups allow chat to work. I can talk, but not be able to hear anyone. I have PC 360 and AKG K702s with Beyerdynamic mic...both 3.5mm x2 setups.

 

 

So far the only way I can chat is the Y cable method, but It decreases volume (and probably hurts SQ). Im hoping someone else out there understands my setup and could possibly offer some other solutions.

 

Im set on using the receiver for now something better comes along.


Edited by rc10mike - 2/15/14 at 2:11pm
post #152 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc10mike View Post

Since I started this thread, a few solutions were found, most notably using MixAmps with a combination of chat cables.

For me on the other hand, I dont have a MixAmp.


I use a home theater receiver as my headphone amp and as my Dolby Headphone processor. I also have a TB DSS1, but the receiver is superior..the problem I still have is neither of my setups allow chat to work. I can talk, but not be able to hear anyone. I have PC 360 and AKG K702s with Beyerdynamic mic...both 3.5mm x2 setups.


So far the only way I can chat is the Y cable method, but It decreases volume (and probably hurts SQ). Im hoping someone else out there understands my setup and could possibly offer some other solutions.

Im set on using the receiver for now something better comes along.

I too am in a similar position.

I wish to use my HD 558s into my Yamaha AV receiver for game audio and then find a way of using a clip on mic for chat audio. As it stands the only way I can achieve this is to use an Astro Mixamp instead of using my receiver. I do not own a Mixamp and neither do I wish to considering I have the Yamaha. If this is the only workaround then I will have to buy a Mixamp but it seems they are out of stock on Astros website.

I can't win at the moment.
post #153 of 328

Sorry been away.

 

Chat sounds the same with either the turtle beach cable or the usb cable.  I use the usb, one less cable following me around.

post #154 of 328
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexLikeThat View Post


I too am in a similar position.

I wish to use my HD 558s into my Yamaha AV receiver for game audio and then find a way of using a clip on mic for chat audio. As it stands the only way I can achieve this is to use an Astro Mixamp instead of using my receiver. I do not own a Mixamp and neither do I wish to considering I have the Yamaha. If this is the only workaround then I will have to buy a Mixamp but it seems they are out of stock on Astros website.

I can't win at the moment.


One thing I probably should've mentioned is that not all USB headset adapters are created equal. Im talking about the piece that converts USB into two 3.5mm jacks, one for mic and one for headphones. The one I have, and currently use, is a discontinued Logitech unit.

 

Ive tried a few others only to find that they all produce noise or the mic level is way too low. So far Ive tried:

Turtle Beach Amigo ($25): Mic level too low

Amazon special($3): Terrible mic quality and horrendous hiss

iLUV($10): Mic level too low

Soundblaster X-Fi Go Pro($30): Mic level WAY too low

knock-off Logitech from ebay($7): Work but have a strange background whine

 

So far, my original Logitech USB headset adapter purchased in 2010 is the one that works the best.

post #155 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post

Sorry been away.

Chat sounds the same with either the turtle beach cable or the usb cable.  I use the usb, one less cable following me around.
Thanks,
I'll have mine to try tomorrow.
post #156 of 328

I've tried to go through this entire thread but can someone confirm for me what would be best for my setup:

 

I own a PS4, Astro 2013 Mixamp Pro.... and would like to use one of the 3rd party headphones I already own (Sennheiser HD600, AT M-50, AT A900, Grado SR225) along with an external clip on mic.

 

I am assuming the best setup to get Surround Sound and Chat through the headphones is:

 

-Optical and USB from PS4 to Mixamp Pro

-Headphone and external mic to Astro PC Y-Adapter to Mixamp Pro

 

Will there be any sound quality loss with this method? Will any external mic work with this and does the jack need to be a 3-pole?

 

I apologize if this has been answered but the only method that seems to be recommended in this thread is the Turtle Beach 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable connected to the PS4  controller to Mixamp which doesnt make sense to me if I could just use the Y-adapter.

post #157 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
 

I apologize if this has been answered but the only method that seems to be recommended in this thread is the Turtle Beach 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable connected to the PS4  controller to Mixamp which doesnt make sense to me if I could just use the Y-adapter.

Problem is that the Y-adapter doesn't work. 

 

Beast headphone would be the Audio Technica, the HD600 impedance is too high for the MixAmp.

 

The TB PS4 chat cable worked perfectly for me, but I went out and got the Sony Gold headset just for convenience. 

post #158 of 328
What about the Y adapter doesn't work?
post #159 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post
 

Problem is that the Y-adapter doesn't work. 

 

Beast headphone would be the Audio Technica, the HD600 impedance is too high for the MixAmp.

 

The TB PS4 chat cable worked perfectly for me, but I went out and got the Sony Gold headset just for convenience. 

 

Have you tried the Y-adapter? I have been reading mixed information on whether it actually works or not. These threads confirm that the Y-adapter does indeed work with an external mic:

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/is-the-pulse-elite-best-bet-for-ps4.453570739/page-2


http://forums.astrogaming.com/showthread.php?50072-Astro-mixamp-pro-2013-some-questions

 

http://forums.astrogaming.com/showthread.php?40061-new-2013-mixamp-pro-working-great

 

 

But then again I have also seen some people say, like you, that it doesnt work.

 

 

As for the Mixamp not powering the HD600's... I have tried all my headphones that I've listed above and the HD600's actually sound the best to me straight out of the Mixamp Pro. The volume levels do not get as high as something like the AT M50, but it is still loud enough that I dont have to turn it all the way up for regular use. I could amp the HD600's after the mixamp but I am sufficiently satisfied with the sound quality as is.

post #160 of 328
the Mixamp is capably driving 600ohm headphones as well as the HD650 to ear bleeding levels. Not IDEAL by any means, but it can do it. Just don't intriduce voice chat into the mix or the volume output will nosedive. The Mixamp has to drive game audio 100% for headphones like these.
post #161 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

the Mixamp is capably driving 600ohm headphones as well as the HD650 to ear bleeding levels. Not IDEAL by any means, but it can do it. Just don't intriduce voice chat into the mix or the volume output will nosedive. The Mixamp has to drive game audio 100% for headphones like these.

 

 

Makes sense to me. I've actually got both the Astro PC Y-Adapter and the Turtle Beach chat cable coming in so I'll be able to try both methods against eachother.

post #162 of 328
Just in case, I'm speaking of sheer volume output, not driving power. I used the DT990/600ohm as well as the K701 with the Mixamp for a good while, and it got plenty loud (though losing in body and dynamics that good amping provides).

If you plan on chatting (aka having the game/voice knob at less than heavily leaning towards game), you're definitely not gonna get a good volume without an external amp with a high gain, like the E09k or better.
post #163 of 328
Thread Starter 

Just received my Mixamp 5.8 today. Right away, I ran into issues.

 

First, It looks like I need to buy something the the "Headset Buddy" to get chat to work properly with PS4.

 

Second, I noticed immediately a slight (very slight) audio delay. Dont remember having this with the A50's.

 

Third, I had to switch the PS4 to optical and Dolby (Bitstream). My previous setup allowed me to use HDMI/Linear PCM directly to my AVR, which sounds far superior to DD5.1..

post #164 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc10mike View Post
 

 

First, It looks like I need to buy something the the "Headset Buddy" to get chat to work properly with PS4.

 

 

No, you need the PS4 chat cable.

post #165 of 328
Thread Starter 

Pretty sure people are confused at the difference between a y-adapter and a headset adapter. They look the same at a glance, but a headset adapter has a TRRS male end.

 

For example:

A standard Y-adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-293520-3-5mm-Splitter/dp/B000V1O1KS

 

A headset adapter:

http://store.sennheiserusa.com/store/sennheis/en_US/pd/ThemeID.10315700/productID.287356600


Edited by rc10mike - 2/22/14 at 11:21pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset...