Hi, I am looking for a pair of headphones for around $200. I know skullcandy is hated on these forums, but the mixmasters look really nice, and have a lot of features. Open to anything though. Maybe Senn. HD 25-I ii.
- productAKG K 550tagged by nightmancometh, 11/18/13
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by nightmancometh, 11/18/13
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by nightmancometh, 11/18/13
- productSoundMAGIC HP100 Premium Over-the-Ear Folding Headphones (Black)tagged by nightmancometh, 11/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- Mid Fi [Sub $200] Grudge Match The Quest for Neutrality (LIVE) ATH AD 900X VS Dt 880 Added Last post on 9/17/13 at 7:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best-than beats mixr at less price, and equal passive isolation Last post on 2/13/13 at 11:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommend me a headphones Last post on 12/20/12 at 8:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- High quality, open-sounding closed headphones for Classical and Jazz Last post on 12/10/12 at 9:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- head phone suggestion Last post on 11/22/12 at 2:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/29/14
I'd say this is a great set of IEMs for its price if you're looking for that consumer v-shaped sound sig. It's not the most balanced sound sig, but for what it is, it sounds pretty good. The mids...
As of September 2014, the HE-400 has been discontinued, and it's successor, the HE-400i is being sold in its place. So why publish, or even read, a review now? First, there are many used...
DAC OCU(B) 1866 — very interesting portable DAC/amp combo from Russian manufacturer Myst. Things I like: — Nice look. As OCUB is made in small quantities, it uses stock case, but case is fully...
Note: I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the little bars at the side aren't matching what I put them to. Audio Quality, Design, and Value I all consider to be top notch, with comfort having...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 (new 2014 version) in-ear premium headphones with in-line remote....
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Looking for a <$200 pair of headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Some things to consider:
Audio Technica ATH-A900x
Audio Technica ATH-AD900x
ATH A900x = Closed, ATH AD900x = Open
If you want something slightly warm but clean and spacious and don't care about isolation, I would go with the MA900 (HD598 secondary). If you want a flat out bass emphasis, the DT990. The other listed headphones are more analytical.
I find Senn HD280 fit this description very well for a ~$100 headphone (leaves some extra $ for an amp/dac/other headphone/etc...). My guess is that any of the closed-back professional audio headphones would make a good choice in the sub $200 arena. I think the Senn 280s beat my friends AD-900 (the non "x" version) for punchy bass (The AD-X00's i've heard are all pretty tame in the bass frequencies).
What genre of music do you listen to? Outdoor or indoor? If you like the mixmasters SQ, I am guessing you like bass? I like the UE6000 for that :)
Nonexistant soundstage, somewhat boomy bass that is lacking in detail, recessed midrange, harsh highs, unremarkable fit and comfort.
It is overrated by those for which it was their first headphone. My 3 examples, as well as the UE6000 mentioned earlier, all outclass it.
I assume you are more interested in closed headphones, then.
I have both. They don't really need one, but it doesn't hurt to use them.
I prefer warmer amping for the K550 as for the UE6000, there's no need
- Looking for a <$200 pair of headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0 3 minutes ago
- › A New Apex product!!! Name it HERE!!! 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions,... 5 minutes ago
- › IC: Audio Technica ATH-W1000 5 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)