Hi, I am looking for a pair of headphones for around $200. I know skullcandy is hated on these forums, but the mixmasters look really nice, and have a lot of features. Open to anything though. Maybe Senn. HD 25-I ii.
- productAKG K 550tagged by nightmancometh, 11/18/13
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by nightmancometh, 11/18/13
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by nightmancometh, 11/18/13
- productSoundMAGIC HP100 Premium Over-the-Ear Folding Headphones (Black)tagged by nightmancometh, 11/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- Mid Fi [Sub $200] Grudge Match The Quest for Neutrality (LIVE) ATH AD 900X VS Dt 880 Added Last post on 9/17/13 at 7:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best-than beats mixr at less price, and equal passive isolation Last post on 2/13/13 at 11:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommend me a headphones Last post on 12/20/12 at 8:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- High quality, open-sounding closed headphones for Classical and Jazz Last post on 12/10/12 at 9:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- head phone suggestion Last post on 11/22/12 at 2:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 7/21/14
I said DON'T TALK !!
i never usually write reviews, but when i do, its usually with underrated earphones/headphones, because i think they do deserve some justice. just a background, i own headphones like brainwavz,...
Rather than go into the esoteric aspects of the sound signature (not really sure if all the nomenclature actually means the same thing to everyone) I'm going to approach this review from a little...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Looking for a <$200 pair of headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Some things to consider:
Audio Technica ATH-A900x
Audio Technica ATH-AD900x
ATH A900x = Closed, ATH AD900x = Open
If you want something slightly warm but clean and spacious and don't care about isolation, I would go with the MA900 (HD598 secondary). If you want a flat out bass emphasis, the DT990. The other listed headphones are more analytical.
I find Senn HD280 fit this description very well for a ~$100 headphone (leaves some extra $ for an amp/dac/other headphone/etc...). My guess is that any of the closed-back professional audio headphones would make a good choice in the sub $200 arena. I think the Senn 280s beat my friends AD-900 (the non "x" version) for punchy bass (The AD-X00's i've heard are all pretty tame in the bass frequencies).
What genre of music do you listen to? Outdoor or indoor? If you like the mixmasters SQ, I am guessing you like bass? I like the UE6000 for that :)
Nonexistant soundstage, somewhat boomy bass that is lacking in detail, recessed midrange, harsh highs, unremarkable fit and comfort.
It is overrated by those for which it was their first headphone. My 3 examples, as well as the UE6000 mentioned earlier, all outclass it.
I assume you are more interested in closed headphones, then.
I have both. They don't really need one, but it doesn't hurt to use them.
I prefer warmer amping for the K550 as for the UE6000, there's no need
- Looking for a <$200 pair of headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Stax Thread III 5 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 44 seconds ago
- › Comparisons: 21 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 1 minute ago
- › Dunu 2K for sale, beautiful IEM light use! 2 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 3 minutes ago
- › BNIB Westone W30 4 minutes ago
- › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) 5 minutes ago
- › The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II) 5 minutes ago
- › Kevin Gilmore Blue Hawaii Boards - Both Channel Boards - PSU Board... 6 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-V6 Counterfeit comparison thread w/ Pics 6 minutes ago
- › Westone Elite Series ES60 by Lorias
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by emanlee
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by shockdoc
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)