or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here! - Page 65

post #961 of 967

Oh. Well I guess that's my fault for jumping on the hype train without doing enough research first, haha. I could have bought the CAL!2 for the same price 680 is gonna cost me with the import duty and whatnot. Shame. The CAL!2's are definitely better in overall SQ right?

 

Anyway, so you're saying I should invest on a amp first and skip the DAC, even though the Galaxy S4 has a horrible DAC?

 

Thanks for your replies guys.

post #962 of 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by martiiin View Post
 

Oh. Well I guess that's my fault for jumping on the hype train without doing enough research first, haha. I could have bought the CAL!2 for the same price 680 is gonna cost me with the import duty and whatnot. Shame. The CAL!2's are definitely better in overall SQ right?

 

Anyway, so you're saying I should invest on a amp first and skip the DAC, even though the Galaxy S4 has a horrible DAC?

 

Thanks for your replies guys.

No no, many say the CAL 2 is worse than the CAL 1, or the very least not worth the price increase between the 2.

 

Most who have listened to both will say the the CAL! 1 is a straight upgrade from the JVS s680, other than in bass quantity.

 

About the DAC vs amp, both are fairly important imo, these headphones technically shouldn't be in dire need of an amp with its low impedance, though my isolated experience differs. 

post #963 of 967

Alright. I guess I'll start with getting a DAC, as I wouldn't want the crappy built in one in my phone ruining the sound quality. Then down the line I'll invest in an amp (and maybe even a new better headphone further down the line). Thanks for your input.


Edited by martiiin - 5/11/15 at 11:04pm
post #964 of 967

I decided to use my HAS-680 for its drivers. I'm gonna put them in a 3D printed earcup once I finish designing it. The drivers have lots of ability, it's just the earcups + baffle they're in limit them a lot.

post #965 of 967

Well I upgraded from the s680 to a mid-fi can. I'm selling my s680 deeply discounted if any one is interested, or has a cool trade.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPierre View Post
 

I decided to use my HAS-680 for its drivers. I'm gonna put them in a 3D printed earcup once I finish designing it. The drivers have lots of ability, it's just the earcups + baffle they're in limit them a lot.

 

Do you think the drivers are better than the CAL!'s? It might be possible. I wonder what the FR on these cans are. If I had to guess, 128Hz would have a +8dB boost, 256hz +3dB, and then its recessed until ~4kHz. So kindof a V-shape?


Edited by theuprising - 6/11/15 at 9:15pm
post #966 of 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by theuprising View Post
 

Well I upgraded from the s680 to a mid-fi can. I'm selling my s680 deeply discounted if any one is interested, or has a cool trade.

 

Do you think the drivers are better than the CAL!'s? It might be possible. I wonder what the FR on these cans are. If I had to guess, 128Hz would have a +8dB boost, 256hz +3dB, and then its recessed until ~4kHz. So kindof a V-shape?

I would say the CAL has slightly better drivers. But, of course sounds a lot better because of their design.

 

But when I EQ'ed the HA-S680 on windows media player, they sounded damn near as good as the CAL.

 

They have boosted midbass, recessed midrange and a smooth, dark treble. So I guess it's a ''^_-'' shape


Edited by dakanao - 6/12/15 at 1:11am
post #967 of 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by theuprising View Post
 

Well I upgraded from the s680 to a mid-fi can. I'm selling my s680 deeply discounted if any one is interested, or has a cool trade.

 

Do you think the drivers are better than the CAL!'s? It might be possible. I wonder what the FR on these cans are. If I had to guess, 128Hz would have a +8dB boost, 256hz +3dB, and then its recessed until ~4kHz. So kindof a V-shape?

I haven't heard the CAL, honestly. The S680 sucks at subbass, but open-air it's got amazing clarity and I bet it'd probably surpass the CAL with a better baffle design (at the cost of bass quantity) I'm guessing. Guessing frequency graphs is difficult, it's probably all over the place likes most headphones in this price range are but I'm sensing a good amount of mid and upper bass accentuation and some kind of upper mid recession. Your guess is as good as mine.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!