Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here! - Page 22

post #316 of 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblader View Post

Thanks, still thinking whether I really need another pair of headphones...lol.
The S500 certainly improved a lot, listened to them for a few minutes when I got them and and decided to put them straight on a 200 hour burn-in session.
Sometime later I switched to the HD25 velour pads and those improved the sound towards a bit more mid/treble presence.
Not a big difference but with the original pads the S500 always sounded a tad too warm for my taste.

Ah yeah it was a challenge for me too with the S500 to get a decent level of comfort. No issues like that with the S680 however, can wear these with stock pads for hours!

Trust me mate, after a while this will become your only headphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgordon View Post

That is a good price, will see what happens when the X5 comes out to see if they reduce in price but i doubt it as the X5 is supposed to be about double the price. Was going to get a clip+ for the car but will hold off and see if i can try an X3 first then if i like that use the cowon for the car

Ah yeah, for the price dude it's an amazing DAP!

The X5 will probably be double the price, and X1 won't be out for a year or so.
post #317 of 802

Hello guys!
I just sold my HA-S500 because they were really uncomfortable ... I hurt my ears.
The sound was not bad but too unbalanced in low voices high and I did not like very much.
I now have ... CAL + FiiO E10 is a headphone less dynamic but much more detailed.
This 680 which has improvements compared to the 500? Recommended JVC 680 or CAL 2???
Sorry for my bad english ... I'm Italian
:bigsmile_face: 

post #318 of 802

These headphones are starting to grow on me. This makes me glad as I was dreading going through the hassle of selling them.

 

At first the recessed (IMO) highs put me off, but I'm getting used to them. I've little experience with such warm-sounding headphones so these, until very recently, sounded very odd to me.

 

Though I've highly enjoyed listening to songs through these, I find them inconsistent: some songs sound phenomenal through them; others sound like crap. I'd consider these all-rounders but with any genre you're bound to run into the odd song that sounds like crap through them; and you never know beforehand what will sound good and what will sound bad. I think the slightly excessive (IMO) bass is what's most responsible for making them sound bad with some songs. I might have to tinker with the EQ settings in Foobar2000 and my Rockboxed Clip+ to see if I can make these cans sound more to my liking.

 

Anyway . . . though these headphones are not without their faults, I think they're keepers.


Edited by Aillas - 1/17/14 at 8:31pm
post #319 of 802

By the way: I'm highly enjoying rediscovering The Beatles through these. I highly recommend listening to The Beatles in Mono set through them.

 

Mono recordings tend to sound like crap through headphones; not so with these.

post #320 of 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted Andreas View Post


Ah yeah it was a challenge for me too with the S500 to get a decent level of comfort. No issues like that with the S680 however, can wear these with stock pads for hours.

Comfort was never much of an issue with my S500 with the stock pads it's just that the HD25 velour pads did something to the higher mids that improved the overall listening experience and made them more open sounding which I prefer.

 

Still use the S500 in my headphone rotation and they are pretty awesome when playing guitar through Guitar Rig or TH2 as those CNT drivers really can take a beating and still sound good without distorting at high volumes.

post #321 of 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblader View Post
 

Comfort was never much of an issue with my S500 with the stock pads it's just that the HD25 velour pads did something to the higher mids that improved the overall listening experience and made them more open sounding which I prefer.

 

Still use the S500 in my headphone rotation and they are pretty awesome when playing guitar through Guitar Rig or TH2 as those CNT drivers really can take a beating and still sound good without distorting at high volumes.

 

Ah right, well my gf has taken possession of my S500... that was my main reason for buying the upgrade (S680).

 

I looked at ATH RE-700 too, but that was after I made the commitment.

post #322 of 802



Only had to wait three weeks!
Edited by JoeDoe - 1/18/14 at 5:50pm
post #323 of 802
Would it be possible for someone to do some physcial measurements of these? Cup size and size when folded would be especially interesting. If somebody know of a case that fits them nicely when folded that would be great, I'm looking for a pair of headphones I'd bring with every day. Having the ability to put them in my fairly small bag is pretty much a requirement. Thanks in advance. smily_headphones1.gif
post #324 of 802

The cups are 7cm by 9cm. Folded, they are about 17cm by 12cm by 7cm. Laying them flat, unfolded, they are about 4.5cm thick(thickness of the ear cups). The cord is about 125cm in length.

post #325 of 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post




Only had to wait three weeks!

 

I look forward to seeing what you think of these. You've heard many cans--many of them very high-end--so it'll be interesting to see what you think of the HA-680s.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPsycho View Post
 

The cups are 7cm by 9cm. Folded, they are about 17cm by 12cm by 7cm. Laying them flat, unfolded, they are about 4.5cm thick(thickness of the ear cups). The cord is about 125cm in length.

 

I'm surprised to see people signing up to Head-Fi just to comment on the HA-680s. . . . Anyway, thanks for providing the measurements. But what do you think of the HA-680s?

 

I'm surprised by the hype surrounding these. I thought most people on a forum such as this would ignore such bass-heavy headphones. Speaking of bass: I still can't decide whether or not the bass is of high-quality. To me it sounds rather unatural (though I'll admit my experience with high-end headphones is quite limited).

post #326 of 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aillas View Post
 

 

I look forward to seeing what you think of these. You've heard many cans--many of them very high-end--so it'll be interesting to see what you think of the HA-680s.

 

 

I'm surprised to see people signing up to Head-Fi just to comment on the HA-680s. . . . Anyway, thanks for providing the measurements. But what do you think of the HA-680s?

 

I'm surprised by the hype surrounding these. I thought most people on a forum such as this would ignore such bass-heavy headphones. Speaking of bass: I still can't decide whether or not the bass is of high-quality. To me it sounds rather unatural (though I'll admit my experience with high-end headphones is quite limited).

I didn't sign up to post the dimensions of these headphones. I have been lurking this thread since its start.

I got my headphones almost 3 weeks ago, and I am still adjusting to them. I did a 100 hour combined burn-in. So far I really like them. They sound great on my phone after adjusting equalizer. But on my computer with Asus Xonar DX sound card, it is taking a while to set them up. Still haven't found a sweet spot.

post #327 of 802
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aillas View Post

...

I'm surprised by the hype surrounding these. I thought most people on a forum such as this would ignore such bass-heavy headphones. Speaking of bass: I still can't decide whether or not the bass is of high-quality. To me it sounds rather unatural (though I'll admit my experience with high-end headphones is quite limited).

 

There's a hype around these? Outside of this thread they never come up in a conversation, unless I or Lifted Andreas bring them up.

And S680 isn't bass-heavy - it's sub-bass-heavy. The boost doesn't bleed into the mids. If the mids are too warm for your taste - try using a Sabre-based DAC, such as Hifimediy or ODAC - the most popular Wolfson DAC (WM8740) is not a good match (although Lifted Andreas enjoys it on FIIO X3). I think that WM8740 on my E17 makes the voices sound less natural.

post #328 of 802
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPsycho View Post
 

...

I got my headphones almost 3 weeks ago, and I am still adjusting to them. I did a 100 hour combined burn-in. So far I really like them. They sound great on my phone after adjusting equalizer. But on my computer with Asus Xonar DX sound card, it is taking a while to set them up. Still haven't found a sweet spot.

 

Glad you like it!

 

Asus Xonar DX is a sound card optimized for games and movies, not high fidelity music.

S680 is very resolving, doesn't sound as good as it can on sources that don't give enough detail.

But there is no need to spend a lot of money - the Hifimediy Sabre DAC at 49$ shipped will expose most of S680's potential.

ODAC will take you further, but at 3 times the cost.

post #329 of 802

Is 320kbps sound source considered Hi-Fi? I am just surprised that my HTC Sensation has better sound with PowerAmp than my dedicated sound card, especially when phone DACs are not the best.

 

Does HiFimeDIY dac have its software to adjust equalizer? I am hard of hearing at certain frequencies, thus making an equalizer a necessity... In quick description, what is the difference between DAC and ODAC?

 

EDIT: I researched the DACs a little and which would you recommend? There seem to be different versions for Sabre DAC.


Edited by GeneralPsycho - 1/19/14 at 7:46pm
post #330 of 802
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPsycho View Post
 

Is 320kbps sound source considered Hi-Fi? I am just surprised that my HTC Sensation has better sound with PowerAmp than my dedicated sound card, especially when phone DACs are not the best.

 

Does HiFimeDIY dac have its software to adjust equalizer? I am hard of hearing at certain frequencies, thus making an equalizer a necessity... In quick description, what is the difference between DAC and ODAC?

 

320kbps MP3 is hi-fi enough.

HTC Sensation has a good TI DAC - it's no on a level with Sabre chips, but at least it's optimized for stereo sound and not 7+1 Dolby effects.

 

Hifimediy DAC doesn't have it's own software, you can use Foobar2000's equalizer.

BTW, Foobar2000 vs any other player made much difference in SQ for me than any combination of DACs and amps.

 

ODAC is a really great DAC, available for purchase here: http://www.jdslabs.com/products/46/standalone-odac/


Edited by BenF - 1/19/14 at 7:46pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!