or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Don't know what headphone to buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Don't know what headphone to buy

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hi, I'm trying to find a good headphone to start my journey into the audiophile world. My previous experiences only consist of Apple and SkullCandy Earbuds, so I'm a complete amateur. 

 

Basically I'm looking for an over-the-head headphone that doesn't clamp hard. I've had SkullCandy Aviators (which broke...and hurt my ears a lot due to the hard press)

I won't mind slight clamping, but I'd prefer comfortable ones!

 

I would ideally spend under $200, preferably even under $150, but I guess the minimum is at least $100.

I don't really know what type of music I like to listen to, since some bands I have no clue what their genre is, but I do like R&B/Hip-hop. The artists I like that are NOT R&B/Hip-hop are: The Killers, Of Monsters and Men, The Script, Coldplay, Grouplove, and a bunch more. I'm trying to expand my horizons!

I also like EDM, but I don't think I'd be jamming to that 24/7 on headphones. That's more of a speaker thing to blast.

I occasionally listen to some Korean music (IU and Tiger JK), so I guess female vocals are also nice to hear on headphones.

And I do throw in some classical music!

 

I did some research so I do know open/closed headphones are. I don't want my sound to be leaked because I'd like to take these headphones outside. I will need them for a flight to Korea, so I don't want to bother the person sleeping next to me!

My preference is bass, but I don't want the bass to overpower the vocals, so a more neutral headphone with slight bass would be my preference.

 

I looked up Audio-Technica M50s and they seemed okay, but people complained about the clamping and bad treble, which I took in to mean bad higher pitched songs.

 

Then there is Fisher Audio FA-003, but apparently those are impossible to come across. 

 

What headphones do you recommend? 
If you guys can convince me that open headphones don't leak that much sound, I'm willingly to look into more of these.

post #2 of 12

The M50 is a good bet, and you can try it out from Guiter Center.

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post
 

The M50 is a good bet, and you can try it out from Guiter Center.

 

There is an audio store close by.

I've been down there to try out the M50s. Couldn't tell if it was impressive or not haha.

post #4 of 12

The Brainwavz HM5 seem to be FA-003 clones, but they may be more neutral than you're looking for.

 

I would suggest the DT770s, but they may be a little more than you want to spend, and the V-Shaped sound might not be what you're looking for (plus they could use an amp to really shine); but they are definitely good for airline travel.

 

I agree that the M50s might be your best bet.  I personally didn't like them as much as headphones with velour pads, but they did sound very nice.  Provided you're in the US, head to a Guitar Center if there's one near you and try them out.  While you're there, try some others in the same price range to see what suits you best.  The Sennheiser HD380 is right around the same price.

 

Make sure you bring an MP3 player with you with a variety of music.  There are headphones that really excel with one type of music, but may sound sub-optimal with others.  Experimentation will get you to a pair that is just right for you.

post #5 of 12

Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80), $50-$60

post #6 of 12
You should also consider Shure Srh-840.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post
 

The Brainwavz HM5 seem to be FA-003 clones, but they may be more neutral than you're looking for.

 

I would suggest the DT770s, but they may be a little more than you want to spend, and the V-Shaped sound might not be what you're looking for (plus they could use an amp to really shine); but they are definitely good for airline travel.

 

I agree that the M50s might be your best bet.  I personally didn't like them as much as headphones with velour pads, but they did sound very nice.  Provided you're in the US, head to a Guitar Center if there's one near you and try them out.  While you're there, try some others in the same price range to see what suits you best.  The Sennheiser HD380 is right around the same price.

 

Make sure you bring an MP3 player with you with a variety of music.  There are headphones that really excel with one type of music, but may sound sub-optimal with others.  Experimentation will get you to a pair that is just right for you.

 

The Brainwavz seem good, but the whole "more neutral" thing might bother me. I like to hear the bass, but not enough to overpower the vocals of higher pitched singers. That's what I'm afraid any good bass headphones would do. 
I don't like to have my vocals sound muffled due to the bass. 

DT770s are a tad expensive. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80), $50-$60

 

They seem good. I'm just concerned about the life of the headphones. Those under $100 usually don't last very long!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me x3 View Post

You should also consider Shure Srh-840.

 

They seem good, but at the max price of $200. 

 

 

I'm so conflicted.

post #8 of 12

Not sure what the actual sound leakage is, but another one to consider (especially if you don't mind doing a bit of modding) would be the Fostex T50RP

post #9 of 12
Gemini HSR 1000 (Takstar Pro 80) are really well built. On pair with most headphones under 200.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me x3 View Post

Gemini HSR 1000 (Takstar Pro 80) are really well built. On pair with most headphones under 200.


Takstar/Gemini HSR-1000 are suprisingly well built.

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me x3 View Post

Gemini HSR 1000 (Takstar Pro 80) are really well built. On pair with most headphones under 200.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 


Takstar/Gemini HSR-1000 are suprisingly well built.


I can't tell on Amazon, and the local audio store didn't have them in stock.


Speaking of the store, I went to the audio store today, and tried the Audio Technica M50 as well as the Sennheiser 558 and 598. 

I liked the style of the Sennheisers the best, but they leaked a lot of sound. I don't really want that.

The Audio Technica seemed to not muffle out the vocals of female singers, unlike most bass boosting headphones. That was a huge plus. But I'm not getting that "wow these headphones are totally worth the money"

post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 

I'm thinking about either:
ATH M50

BrainWavz HM5

 

The Gemini seems like a good headphone based on the review, but I'm just anxious about the clamp/durability.

I know ATH M50 has a long life, and it's only issue is the clamp. I hate clamping :(
The BrainWavz is up there because it's very comfortable (from reviews), good balance, and the detachable cable is always a plus. The only issue is that I don't have a test to use to experiment the bass on this headphone.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Don't know what headphone to buy