or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best All-Round Earbuds for under $30?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best All-Round Earbuds for under $30?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hi guys, I've recently received an Amazon Gift Card worth $30, and my old set of Samsung earphones [the ones that come with the Galaxy phones] have stopped responding in the left ear.

 

I've gone through many pairs of earbuds, and this problem always happens to them. 

 

I've owned the Apple Earpods [Actually quite nice]

 

Monoprice Enhanced Bass 8320's [The cord near the earpiece tore apart]

 

An unidentified Sony IEM [I'd like to believe they were the MDR-EX58V's] that sounded better than everything aforementioned, but I disliked the cord and soon after It stopped responding in one ear, then both.

 

And lastly, the Samsung earbuds, which broke a few hours ago.

 

The thing with all of these IEM's is that whenever I move the cord near the jack a little bit, the sound comes back. 

What I'd like to know is, what am I doing wrong, and what earbuds do you guys recommend for someone who suffers from the issues mentioned, for under 30 USD?

 

I would love to buy the MDRX58V's just because I absolutely loved the sound they produced, and maybe sleeve the cable so it doesn't bend and stay erect in that direction.


Edited by Muneem - 11/13/13 at 2:10pm
post #2 of 12

I have the Nuforce NE-600X, and they are by far my favorite cheap IEM. I had some Sony IEMs that were decent, but the cord is so fragile and thing. The Nuforce is very sturdy, with a nice flat cord that doesn't tangle or feel like its going to break. Good bass and soundstage for a budget IEM as well. 

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 

I just bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005M7AVLO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for $29.

 

What ended up winning these for me was that they had a mic, which I completely forget in the OP. They basically are the MDREX58V's, but with this Mic feature. I'm sure they will meet my needs, and I'll try to keep the cord safe.

 

Are there any methods or things I should know in order to increase the longevity of the product?

post #4 of 12

Neatly put them in a little case when you aren't using them, instead of stuffing them into a pocket or backpack or whatever. That's about all I can think of. 

post #5 of 12

Check out Sony MH1C. Sometime you .can get them on Amazon for about $30.

post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 

Will do. I have a little fabric case I use to store spare change, and it is usually filled halfway with coins. Could I wrap the cord around a few fingers and leave it there?

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muneem View Post
 

Will do. I have a little fabric case I use to store spare change, and it is usually filled halfway with coins. Could I wrap the cord around a few fingers and leave it there?

That would be ok, but a more rigid case would be better. Like an Altoids tin (or some other brand of mints). Or whatever you have laying around. 

post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 

How about a plastic IceBreakers tin?

 

That's about as rigid as it gets for me.

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muneem View Post
 

I just bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005M7AVLO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for $29.

 

What ended up winning these for me was that they had a mic, which I completely forget in the OP. They basically are the MDREX58V's, but with this Mic feature. I'm sure they will meet my needs, and I'll try to keep the cord safe.

 

Are there any methods or things I should know in order to increase the longevity of the product?

 

Don't stress the cable, e.g. pulling or stretching it, wrapping it too tightly and when you take them out of your ears, do not pull them out via the cable.

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muneem View Post
 

How about a plastic IceBreakers tin?

 

That's about as rigid as it gets for me.

Sure, that sounds fine. No need to get fancy. 

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 

If I shouldn't wrap it tightly, how am I supposed to store it? If I were to use my fingers [from pointer to pinkie] as a benchmark, how many fingers should I use to wrap the cords?

post #12 of 12

Use 3-4 fingers is fine, then wrap the cord in a loose manner, no need to wrap it tightly around the fingers.


Edited by wskl - 11/13/13 at 9:58pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best All-Round Earbuds for under $30?