Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Sennheiser Momentum vs Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) P7
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser Momentum vs Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) P7 - Page 8

post #106 of 128

Quote from the Momentum appreciation thread:

Originally Posted by Winno View Post
 

Ok, I've just got back from my local Apple store where I spent about 1/2hr listening to the Momentums, B&W P7, and the B&O Beoplay H6.

A quick first impression review.

 

I listened to three tracks;

Ian Anderson - In the Pay of Spain (Divinities - Twelve Dances with God album - a mix of acoustic and electrical instruments)

Basia Trzetrzelewska - Yearning (Sweetest Illusion album - voice with a jazzy touch)

Joe Ford - Majestic (hard hitting industrial dub-step)

 

The B&Ws were up first (simply because they were closest to me after walking in)

 

A secure fit but not overly firm, fitted right around my ears, nice finish and a classy looking can.

Sound - detailed right across the spectrum, forthright but not overly in-your-face, flat spectral balance, no sibilance up top.

Powers well directly from iPhone 5 but the volume sat near the top 3/4 because of ambient shop noise and despite good isolation.

Quite livable.

 

The Momentums.

 

Fit was more comfortable as the pads are softer and oval shaped. The B&W's rectangular pads were still good but not as nice here. The Momentum has a slightly smaller profile around your head.

Possibly slightly easier to drive straight from my phone than the P7.

Sound - the words 'delicacy' and 'airiness' come to mind.

A less in-your-face sound compared to the B&W. Kinda like sitting further away from the performers where you could get a better sence of the whole venue acoustic. Was probably ever so slightly softer overall and could be said to lack some of the finer details down low that the B&W had but I found it a more musical, sweeter, and enjoyable sound. I could forget everything and be carried away into the music more with these.

 

The B&Os.

 

I listened to these just because they were there. I didn't go into the store with listening to them in mind.

I've never considered B&O a hi-fi product previously. I've viewed them as an exercise in form over function in the past and thought their products a bit over rated.

These were a surprise.

They're well made with leather covered pads, nice alloy finishes with quality annodising and machined structural bits.

Sound wise - very close to the Momentums but with some subtle leanings toward the B&W.

A nice phone certainly.

 

My pick?

Overall, the Momentums.

This listen confirmed why I liked them so much when I heard them for a couple of minutes a few months ago.

If these were no longer available, I'd easily pick the B&Os.

 

All three had compact plugs that easily fitted through my Cleave/Draco bumper (5mm deep with a 7mm dia. recess).

 

I'd like to give more insight into all of these but time was not permitting.

 

Maybe this helps someone in their decision.

 

I should point out that while the detail and accuracy appeared to be lacking in the Momentums, it was in fact there if you listened and took your time. 

Compared to the Momentum, the P7 tended to be more up front with everything and almost 'forced' you to hear everything.


Edited by Winno - 5/14/14 at 3:05am
post #107 of 128

I agree with the recent correspondent who preferred Momentums to P7. He also rated BandO which I haven't heard yet.

The sound of the Momentums and their comfort mean they can be worn and enjoyed for long periods. The P7s, whilst looking impressive in their way, are not as comfortable and, for reasons I find difficult to pin down, are not as musical. Tyll Hertson rates the Sennheisers above the P7s and has included them on his wall of fame. The P7 didn't make it. He also rates the NAD Viso very highly and I am looking forward to hearing these. 

post #108 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winno View Post

I should point out that while the detail and accuracy appeared to be lacking in the Momentums, it was in fact there if you listened and took your time. 
Compared to the Momentum, the P7 tended to be more up front with everything and almost 'forced' you to hear everything.
Think this is perception and experience. The soundstage and separation of the P7 is better than the Mo's. Also the mid-bass hump on the Mo masks detail and is distracting. Treble again no contest P7 more developed. I do have a personal issue with the trend for veiled treble signatures, so anything normal coming along is called "bright".

With that said Mo are good in their own right, chose P7 after home demo. The good thing is this category headphone is easier to demo than in-ears!
Edited by LFC_SL - 5/15/14 at 11:37pm
post #109 of 128

I'm not sure if P7 is worth the difference over Mo's. I'd say is down to everyone's taste and a demo on both cans would give you a better idea before you make a choice.

post #110 of 128

Hello all. Been researching these two headphones for a couple of days now. I previously had a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900's but just sold them off. I took a listen to these both and favored the P7's in terms of sound but felt a little heavy in terms of weight. The momentums were more comfortable and light weight for my ears but didn't sound as rich as the P7's but i'm still debating the two.

 

I am getting these two at phenomenal prices... P7 for $239 and Momentum Over ear for $154. Are the P7's too good to pass up at that price? any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

post #111 of 128

Get the P7.  It is much easier to EQ the P7 flat than making the Momentum sounds more lively.  Besides at $239 the P7 is a steal.

post #112 of 128

Sound-wise I prefer the P7, but comfort-wise, I would go with the Momentums any day. The P7s have horrible clamping force, more so than any of the other headphones I've ever tried so far (and believe me, I've tried a lot of headphones). I couldn't wear them for any longer than 3 minutes. I find it really awesome how some of you don't have any comfort issues with these bear traps. Good for you!

post #113 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by illomatic3 View Post

Hello all. Been researching these two headphones for a couple of days now. I previously had a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900's but just sold them off. I took a listen to these both and favored the P7's in terms of sound but felt a little heavy in terms of weight. The momentums were more comfortable and light weight for my ears but didn't sound as rich as the P7's but i'm still debating the two.

I am getting these two at phenomenal prices... P7 for $239 and Momentum Over ear for $154. Are the P7's too good to pass up at that price? any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Get the P7 and flex the headband and lossen the leather earpad stiffness for a few minutes a day for 2-4 weeks, just not too aggressively. Like how the Oppo PM-1 is, but remember to use leather oil as well.
post #114 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by illomatic3 View Post
 

Hello all. Been researching these two headphones for a couple of days now. I previously had a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900's but just sold them off. I took a listen to these both and favored the P7's in terms of sound but felt a little heavy in terms of weight. The momentums were more comfortable and light weight for my ears but didn't sound as rich as the P7's but i'm still debating the two.

 

I am getting these two at phenomenal prices... P7 for $239 and Momentum Over ear for $154. Are the P7's too good to pass up at that price? any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

 

Sounds like a certain employee discount I know of. I got the Momentums for that price and I'm considering the P7s now but I don't want to buy without trying them ... but, oh, where can I try them? I've really taken to the Momentum's luscious sound, such a shame they have not taken to the comfort of my ears ... 


Edited by SonicGoat - 7/3/14 at 8:33pm
post #115 of 128
I think any Bestbuy with a Magnolia home theater dept. the one near me had all the Bowers and Wilkins p7,5,3 and a few Sennheisers. it's not in their regular headphone area. that's only for the beats and Bose stuff
post #116 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by illomatic3 View Post

I think any Bestbuy with a Magnolia home theater dept. the one near me had all the Bowers and Wilkins p7,5,3 and a few Sennheisers. it's not in their regular headphone area. that's only for the beats and Bose stuff

Not my one ... and I called a larger store in the area and they do not have the P7s on display. My one has an abundance of crappy lifestyle headphones on tap. Would the Apple Store have the P7s out to play with? 

post #117 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGoat View Post

Not my one ... and I called a larger store in the area and they do not have the P7s on display. My one has an abundance of crappy lifestyle headphones on tap. Would the Apple Store have the P7s out to play with? 

Apple store, I am not sure as they can choose what is displayed and demoed. Find a Best Buy with a Pacific Kitchen and Home section and the Magnolia section will have 8 headphones on a stick stand mounted on a 26" flat panel tv stand that you can plug up to your portable amp and player (at least three of them in the Greater Houston Area). Even without a P7, there might be a HD700 or W1000X to try, just bring your best portable amp.
post #118 of 128
Come to think of it, always call the Apple Store or Best Buy to see if they have whatever you want to hear on display for demoing.
post #119 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbui44 View Post

Come to think of it, always call the Apple Store or Best Buy to see if they have whatever you want to hear on display for demoing.

Thanks -- unfortunately, there's only two Best Buys in my area and neither has them on display. I will call my local Apple Store and see what they have. I would so like to try them on before I buy. I have a rather large head and, as far as I'm concerned, large ears. I seldom wear baseball hats -- when I was younger I was fitted for an authentic baseball cap and I believe I was the largest size.

I really wish the Momentums were a bit more comfortable. The sonorous delights are something of a painkiller for my fettered ears, as the relief of removing them is the lone redeemable aspect of leaving the beautiful music they produce.
post #120 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post

Sound-wise I prefer the P7, but comfort-wise, I would go with the Momentums any day. The P7s have horrible clamping force, more so than any of the other headphones I've ever tried so far (and believe me, I've tried a lot of headphones). I couldn't wear them for any longer than 3 minutes. I find it really awesome how some of you don't have any comfort issues with these bear traps. Good for you!

The clamping force on the P7s reduces significantly with use. Initially they were quite tight for me, to the point where I was getting a headache. Now I can wear them all day with no problem. Still not as comfortable as the Momentums (my ears are small enough so I don't have the fit issue), but quite acceptable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Sennheiser Momentum vs Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) P7