Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Recommend gaming headphones $400-$500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommend gaming headphones $400-$500 - Page 2

post #16 of 25
He doesn't state that they are not mid fi level. He is saying that he thinks they are not as refined as some of the popular favs. I find them more detailed than the 650 and more natural sounding. The k702 is boring and grainy and dry. The Sony are liquid and smooth. Go try them yourself you will be here all week reading different opinions. Look at my Sig, the ma900 I prefer to 99% of them. Go try and use the return policy.
post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 

Hi guys

 

just want to update everyone on what i purchased, After reading zillions of reviews and forums post and advice I saw an amazing deal on some Beyerndynamic d990 pro. So the price really chose itself and they arrived and I tried them with my Asus Xonar STX. After reading mad lust gaming guide, i must say I was expcting a lot from these.

 

The base compared to my HD 650 Is amazing but they are not as great for some games as they are for others, for example bf3 is amazing with these but something like skyrim sound dead and very low sounding voices, its hard to explain really. For music its not bad but vocals sound not clear and little far away.Movies its mixed, some scnes sound just out of this world and others as if you have not taken then out of some invisible plastic film yet, sound kinda distant. Sorry I am not audio expert so hard to explain what I am experiencing with these. My HD 650 synthesis sound so clearly its amazing, vocals sound so crisp and dry while the 990 pro sound muffled slightly and distant, not crispy clear.

 

its very hard to explain how they sound, I was hoping for HD 650 sound clarity with some kick ass base, honestly right now I am wiling to pay for whatever gives me this,because I dont want to keep buying and returning. There is no shops even remotely close to me to test them out.

 

the next headphone I have my eyes on are Ultrason Pro 900 but going by mad lust guide these are going to have similar but much bigger problem as the 990 pro. Since they are bass head headphones and worried the clarity is "kiss it goodbye".

 

also on my sound card, i have few options <64ohm, 64 - 300 ohm and 300-600 ohm. My headphones are only 250 ohm and I choose the 64-300 ohm impedance range but I have had to max everything sound wise out to get adequate sound out of these and I am a person that does not like very loud music, I tried the 300-600 ohm setting and the sound was good and was wondering if its possible to keep this setting?? would damage the headphones even though its on 300-600 ohm setting while my headphones are rated at 250 ohm impedance?

 

any other headphones with clarity of the HD650 across the board but with bass? lets say if i up my budget considerably to 600-800 range? I have heard the HD800 and they not that great with bass although better than my HD650. Have heard the T1 are not bassy at all. Am I asking for best of every world?

 

thanks for taking the time to read.

 

appreciate any feedback.


Edited by LoSt IN Hifi - 11/15/13 at 3:35pm
post #18 of 25
Thread Starter 

forgot to mention, would the problem with muddy and not crispy vocals be because of them not burned in yet?


Edited by LoSt IN Hifi - 11/15/13 at 3:47pm
post #19 of 25

Sounds like you haven't bothered with a source and amp upgrade. You aren't going to get anywhere jumping side to side on mid-fi gear.

 

It's time you get a higher quality DAC and amp for your HD650s or you jump into high end too. I've heard the HD650s on better setups and they have plenty of slam; it sounds like your source is really lacking.

post #20 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 

Sounds like you haven't bothered with a source and amp upgrade. You aren't going to get anywhere jumping side to side on mid-fi gear.

 

It's time you get a higher quality DAC and amp for your HD650s or you jump into high end too. I've heard the HD650s on better setups and they have plenty of slam; it sounds like your source is really lacking.

 

I have a hard time believing that new amp will fix the HD650 regarding their flat base issues. I would rather just choose new headphone that are better but I do appreciate that I need new amp and dac so willing to listen to any new suggestions that you might have.

PureAngel recommended these on the previous page and they seem like good amp

 

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

 

although if you know something better without too much cost then please do recommend.

 

In regards to the D990 pro, I am not sure if a better amp will get rid of the muffles vocals and mid's, I actually think this could be an issue with them not burning in? Unfortunately I cant keep them long enough to find out.


Edited by LoSt IN Hifi - 11/16/13 at 12:30pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt IN Hifi View Post
 

 

I have a hard time believing that new amp will fix the HD650 regarding their flat base issues. I would rather just choose new headphone that are better but I do appreciate that I need new amp and dac so willing to listen to any new suggestions that you might have.

PureAngel recommended these on the previous page and they seem like good amp

 

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

 

although if you know something better without too much cost then please do recommend.

 

In regards to the D990 pro, I am not sure if a better amp will get rid of the muffles vocals and mid's, I actually think this could be an issue with them not burning in? Unfortunately I cant keep them long enough to find out.


I approve of audio-gd gear. Your soundcard doesn't have much power to bring out some of the better qualities.

 

But DT990 don't have mids. It's simply a very V-shaped headphone.

post #22 of 25
If your sound card powered the HD650s fine, it should have enough power for the DT-990s as well. There is nothing wrong with setting it to the 300 to 600 ohm setting either; this is just the high gain setting. Won't hurt anything.

The Audio-gd amps are very powerful, and may improve the sound you're getting, but won't completely transform the sound into something new. It sounds like you just don't like the DT-990. I owned them for a while, and they do make vocals sound a little distant. They make the whole midrange sound distant, which could be the lack of clarity you're describing. Mind you, lack of clarity can also be a symptom of not enough power. While a better amp could improve the clarity, it's not going to make a night and day difference though.

Considering the audio gd amps have high shipping because they are sent from China, the schiit modi and Magni combo might be cheaper. These are a separate DAC and amp, whereas the audio gd 15 is both in one box.

If you want to upgrade your headphones, consider the hifiman HE-400. It has deeper and stronger bass than the DT-990, but it's also much faster and more controlled, so it won't sound muddy like the DT-990s can. In terms of midrange clarity, it is well above the DT-990 as well. Your sound card could probably drive them acceptably, but you will get improvement from an amp.

So TLDR, it sounds like an amp would help, but it also sounds like you just don't like the DT-990, which might or might not change if you got an amp
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbear View Post

If your sound card powered the HD650s fine, it should have enough power for the DT-990s as well. There is nothing wrong with setting it to the 300 to 600 ohm setting either; this is just the high gain setting. Won't hurt anything.

The Audio-gd amps are very powerful, and may improve the sound you're getting, but won't completely transform the sound into something new. It sounds like you just don't like the DT-990. I owned them for a while, and they do make vocals sound a little distant. They make the whole midrange sound distant, which could be the lack of clarity you're describing. Mind you, lack of clarity can also be a symptom of not enough power. While a better amp could improve the clarity, it's not going to make a night and day difference though.

Considering the audio gd amps have high shipping because they are sent from China, the schiit modi and Magni combo might be cheaper. These are a separate DAC and amp, whereas the audio gd 15 is both in one box.

If you want to upgrade your headphones, consider the hifiman HE-400. It has deeper and stronger bass than the DT-990, but it's also much faster and more controlled, so it won't sound muddy like the DT-990s can. In terms of midrange clarity, it is well above the DT-990 as well. Your sound card could probably drive them acceptably, but you will get improvement from an amp.

So TLDR, it sounds like an amp would help, but it also sounds like you just don't like the DT-990, which might or might not change if you got an amp

Agreed. Said that a lot better than I did. Audio-gd stuff is still very affordable especially if you look at the FS section. A powerful amp seems to solve a lot of issues especially when going for an ortho like the HE-400.

post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt IN Hifi View Post
 

Hi guys

 

just want to update everyone on what i purchased, After reading zillions of reviews and forums post and advice I saw an amazing deal on some Beyerndynamic d990 pro. So the price really chose itself and they arrived and I tried them with my Asus Xonar STX. After reading mad lust gaming guide, i must say I was expcting a lot from these.

 

The base compared to my HD 650 Is amazing but they are not as great for some games as they are for others, for example bf3 is amazing with these but something like skyrim sound dead and very low sounding voices, its hard to explain really.

 

 

 

About SKYRIM. The lower voices come from Bethesda making the sound for 5.1 setups instead of the more common 2.0 stereo so some times the center voice is missing in stereo only setups. The solution that worked for me in Windows 7 32bit is to right click on the speaker icon in the bottom corner of the monitor screen select playback devices. In the next box that pops up under playback scroll down to speakers and double click on it and go to the enhancements tab. Check on Loudness Equalization and you should get normal volume voices and thundering bass :D


Edited by Hellbishop - 11/28/13 at 8:30pm
post #25 of 25

The DT990 are excellent, They don't have recessed mids but they are not as clean as the HD 650. The HD650 are more focused on the mid range while the DT990's mids are not as forward. 

 

Headphones good for gaming with good bass and a decent stage and mids are

 

MrSpeakers Mad dog

Sony MA900

Yamaha Pro 500

HE400

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Recommend gaming headphones $400-$500