Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison - Page 30  

post #436 of 1331

What was the procedure here? I don't quite understand?
 

When you plug-in a USB Audio Class 2 (UAC2) device, windows won't recognize it, but it should tell you that something was plugged and was not recognized. Did you see that at all?

 

Then, when you want to install the specific drivers, from my experience, most of them actually need that the DAC is connected to the PC. I don't know why there's such a requirement, but it is what it is. The Xmos, USB-32 and Concero drivers require that the DAC is plugged in before installation.

The only one that was happy without the DAC is the Amanero Drivers for the Ciunas DAC/Converter. So you can install them right now: http://amanero.com/drivers.htm

post #437 of 1331
When I borrowed the NAD, I had to go to the NAD site for a download. http://nadelectronics.com/download-agree/130213151103-NAD-USB-Audio-Driver_20121205.zip%7CNAD%20USB%202.0%20Audio%20Driver
post #438 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in MD View Post
 

Yeah maybe, but I can't get my computer to recognize these DACs... which is not making me a happy camper...  So now what?

 

Grumble, snarl, whine...

Forget the computer and go with USB OTG :blink:. OK joking. As noted many desktop DACs require drivers. What OS are you using on your PC? Check the websites of the DAC manufacturers or call/email their tech support. You could also try a different computer running a different OS or different version of Windows. Take a deep breath, you will get this sorted out soon enough. 


Edited by Toe Tag - 12/13/13 at 8:09pm
post #439 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post

Then, when you want to install the specific drivers, from my experience, most of them actually need that the DAC is connected to the PC. I don't know why there's such a requirement, but it is what it is. The Xmos, USB-32 and Concero drivers require that the DAC is plugged in before installation.

Yes, same for Lynx Hilo,   it is XMOS based,  the Hilo's USB driver installer is basically the default XMOS installer software.   The installer requires Hilo to be powered on and connect to the PC to proceed.

 

The NAD was in powered on state right?


Edited by yfei - 12/13/13 at 10:58pm
post #440 of 1331
Thread Starter 

Okay, I got the Emotiva XDA-1 up and running on USB... and the Arcam too (popped right up), but the NAD is still invisible that way... but I can get a connection with optical... though the cheap optical splitter needs to be aligned perfectly to get any output... might have to make more of an investment, or skip multiple optical outs... We'll see.

 

I'm giving up on the NAD for the night, I have too much to do.

 

Can't set up the Dangerous source because it uses TRS analog outs, so I'll have to get a pair of TRS to RCA adapters.  No big deal, should be able to get them here in a couple of days per Amazon.

 

I'm now working on the Emotiva.  But so far no luck.  I'll download those drivers and see what happens.

post #441 of 1331

If you want multiple XMOS based devices connected at the same time, you would need to modify infs on one of the drivers to include IDs of them all and then do "one"  installation. Tricky but works.

post #442 of 1331
Thread Starter 

The NAD is up and running.  It didn't like the USB 3.0 port.  I know I tried it with other cables/ports, but somehow it wasn't happy.  Now it is.

 

So I have 3 of the new DACs up (irDAC, Stealth, M51), plus I had my old one running as well, but disconnected it to make room for new ones.

 

I should be able to get 4 more up tomorrow.  Then I'll try to rig JRiver to feed all of them at once.  That ought to be interesting.

 

Overall, a good start, if a bit frustrating since I've never used USB for music before... optical was easy...

 

But now I need sleep, just like I really needed food before.  I get pretty cranky when I'm hungry (but didn't have a snickers bar available).

 

Are we having fun yet?

post #443 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in MD View Post

Can't set up the Dangerous source because it uses TRS analog outs, so I'll have to get a pair of TRS to RCA adapters.  No big deal, should be able to get them here in a couple of days per Amazon.
I was gonna ask you the question cause I'm facing the same issue right now biggrin.gif
I don't have a balanced amp right now (EF-6) so I can't connect the Dangerous Source to it.
I'm running the LCD-X directly from the integrated amp. It is probably not optimal for planar headphones (even the most sensitive one, here) but it does a very good job nonetheless! It has a huge potential as a DAC only, but to be sure I need to use it in my main system in my comfort zone.
This DAC could well be a killer for the price indeed!
post #444 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in MD View Post
 

The NAD is up and running.  It didn't like the USB 3.0 port.  I know I tried it with other cables/ports, but somehow it wasn't happy.  Now it is.

Ouch! For me, the NAD would already be out. USB 2.0 is going to disappear fairly soon from a PC...then you're stuck with a crappy ol' 2.0 adapter box. That's assuming it even does the trick.

post #445 of 1331
Thread Starter 

I'm not ready to quit on it, since it could be my computer's USB 3.0 ports.  The machine is a couple of years old, and from what I understand, that was near the beginning of the USB 3.0 roll out, and there were a few bugs.  Plus I assume NAD would come up with new firmware or drivers to work better with USB 3.0 if there were no more USB 2.0 ports being made....  But I can tell you that the other things I have plugged into those 3.0 ports (USB hub and Lexmark printer) aren't complaining, so the ports do work.

post #446 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in MD View Post
 

I'm not ready to quit on it, since it could be my computer's USB 3.0 ports.  The machine is a couple of years old, and from what I understand, that was near the beginning of the USB 3.0 roll out, and there were a few bugs.  Plus I assume NAD would come up with new firmware or drivers to work better with USB 3.0 if there were no more USB 2.0 ports being made....  But I can tell you that the other things I have plugged into those 3.0 ports (USB hub and Lexmark printer) aren't complaining, so the ports do work.

Yeah, I hear ya. It could just be that specific generation of PC with the growing pains of 3.0

post #447 of 1331
Thread Starter 

Should have gone to bed, but searching for RCA to TRS adapters, happen to be listening to one of the DACs while I start burning it in.  Not critical listening, but I can tell you that this does not sound like my Emo XDA-1.

post #448 of 1331

Ahh, the first impression of many to come!

post #449 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in MD View Post

Okay, I got the Emotiva XDA-1 up and running on USB... and the Arcam too (popped right up), but the NAD is still invisible that way... but I can get a connection with optical... though the cheap optical splitter needs to be aligned perfectly to get any output... might have to make more of an investment, or skip multiple optical outs... We'll see.

I'm giving up on the NAD for the night, I have too much to do.

Can't set up the Dangerous source because it uses TRS analog outs, so I'll have to get a pair of TRS to RCA adapters.  No big deal, should be able to get them here in a couple of days per Amazon.

I'm now working on the Emotiva.  But so far no luck.  I'll download those drivers and see what happens.
Gary, if you can wait, I have a pair of TRS-RCA & XLR-RCA adapters coming with the Hilo (when it gets there). Otherwise it's only a few dollars.
Edited by Happy Camper - 12/14/13 at 5:58am
post #450 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in MD View Post
 

The NAD is up and running.  It didn't like the USB 3.0 port.  I know I tried it with other cables/ports, but somehow it wasn't happy.  Now it is.

 

So I have 3 of the new DACs up (irDAC, Stealth, M51), plus I had my old one running as well, but disconnected it to make room for new ones.

 

I should be able to get 4 more up tomorrow.  Then I'll try to rig JRiver to feed all of them at once.  That ought to be interesting.

 

Overall, a good start, if a bit frustrating since I've never used USB for music before... optical was easy...

 

But now I need sleep, just like I really needed food before.  I get pretty cranky when I'm hungry (but didn't have a snickers bar available).

 

Are we having fun yet?

So I don't want to start a huge debate as I have the feeling the answer to this is not cut and dry. But why are there soo many different ways and techniques used in high end DACs to remove jitter on USB when optical is free of interference from the get go. lack of optical outputs on computers? My uberfrost is not optical and I find that great because it removes any computer noise. I've even read a few times that the optical input is better than the USB chip. 

 

What are the advantages of USB? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison