afaik the metrum is in the shootout.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAnedio D2 DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productBenchmark DAC2 HGCtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productB.M.C. PureDACtagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productChord Chordette QuteHD DACtagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productDangerous Music Sourcetagged by AudioMan612, 12/17/14
- productEmotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productEmotiva XDA-1tagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productGrace Design m903 reference headphone amplifier / DACtagged by AudioMan612, 1/11/15
- productLynx Hilotagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13More
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productMetrum Acoustics Octavetagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productNAD M51 DACtagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productResonessence Labs Concerotagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productSchiit Gungnirtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productTelex 300104-801 OH-4v Odyssey Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productYulong Audio Sabre DA8tagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
Related Forum Threads
- Purchasing LCD-X Amp DAC Suggestions. Last post on 5/31/14 at 11:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Alternatives to Audiolab M-DAC? Last post on 4/26/13 at 10:32am in Dedicated Source Components
- NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions Last post on 5/28/16 at 10:34am in Dedicated Source Components
- Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company. Last post on 2/29/16 at 12:55am in High-end Audio Forum
- Need Help with Amp Decision for LCD-3f before deployment Last post on 12/26/14 at 4:34pm in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 11/25/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
The Emotiva DC-1 Stealth DAC is frankly, an incredible value. The only other products I can think of that offers such a complete and capable skill set for such a low cost are the Koss KSC75,...
This is a very comfortable headphone (not ideally so, but close enough) and once you get used to the clap force, you barely notice it's on. The sound quality is amazing. I have compared this...
First of all, thank you to @ejong7 for arranging for me to be included in this review tour. I am in no way affiliated with Obravo or any retailer. I am head-fi hobbyist and music lover...
Where do I start? These honestly sound like the HD600/650 in IEM form. My previous go to IEM was the Klipsch X10 ($100), followed by the Klipsch X20i ($539). What is amazing, is that the RE-400...
I want to thank the MezeTeam over at Head Fi for allowing me the chance to review the 99 Classics as part of their Tour. You can purchase the 99 Classics in three colors right from their...
December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison - Page 29post #421 of 133112/12/13 at 4:26pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #422 of 133112/12/13 at 6:00pmpost #423 of 133112/12/13 at 9:17pmThread Starter
The Metrum Octave II is in the field and in my dining room, in its box, as are the Benchmark, Yulong, Emotiva, Dangerous Music, Chordette, Arcam and NAD.
The Gungnir is reportedly at my post office, though the woman behind the counter failed to give it to me when I picked up the Metrum this morning. I handed her the paper that was left in my mailbox yesterday, and after she messed up the street number (it's "4321"... kind of hard to mess up, if you ask me), she moved a bunch of boxes around and then handed me one with the Metrum in it, She seemed quite confused by the whole episode, but told me to sign the screen so I did. I'm guessing that means I've confirmed delivery... of the wrong box, since when I just checked the Gungnir's tracking number on the USPS site it says they attempted delivery and left a notice yesterday... which I used today to pick up the Metrum. Sigh. There's a reason why UPS and FedEx use barcoded tracking systems... and why they are making lots of money while the USPS is going broke.
I'll go back tomorrow and try to find whatever other boxes are there for me. But the moral of this story is that from now on I will ask that all things being sent to me go by one of the competent delivery services, not the USPS.post #424 of 133112/13/13 at 11:27am
Got the Dangerous Source and a Focal Spirit Pro as a work Xmas gift today
So far, I really like what I'm hearing with both.
The DS is more the object here and, as you understood, I'm liking it a lot.
It's smaller than I expected and fit perfectly between my two 24" screens. Happy worker for sure
Edit: oh, and I ship the Ciunas and TeddyPSU tomorrow. You'll get that in the middle of the week. The octave and chord should have received proper burn-in by then.
The DS also has an external 12V power supply, by the way. You might be able to use the TeddyPSU with it, if the plug is compatible!
Edited by Clemmaster - 12/13/13 at 11:39ampost #425 of 133112/13/13 at 3:05pmThread Starter
The Gungnir has now joined the others on my dining room table. 9 DACs are now in the house. The furniture is mostly set up how I think I want it (had to rearrange some stuff to make all of this work... the non-existent wife did not complain). I expect to get at least some of them up and running later tonight to start break-in, and the intention is to have 7 running continuously from tomorrow morning until ~Wednesday, when they will have ~100 hours on them and I can start comparisons. Schedule is subject to significant change if I can't get all 7 up and running at one time.post #426 of 133112/13/13 at 3:40pmpost #427 of 133112/13/13 at 3:47pmpost #428 of 133112/13/13 at 4:10pm
UPS tracking shows an Exception of "Late Trailer" for the Concero. I guess that means you won't be getting it today, as scheduled.
Mikepost #429 of 133112/13/13 at 4:53pmThread Starter
I hope "Late Trailer" doesn't mean it's dead...
And speaking of dead, I can't get my computer to recognize either the NAD or my Emo XDA-1 via USB. I've tried multiple cables, multiple ports, which work fine with phones and printers and such, but when I plug in a DAC it's as if they don't exist. What am I doing wrong????
Note that optical works fine. Including through the optical splitter (yaaayyy!!!!) but that isn't good enough.
And here's a picture of a bunch of boxes for those of you who get off on that sort of thing. Note that the 2 on the upper left are my new Senn HD600 and HD650, both still in their boxes because one is a present, and the person gets to pick which one she wants... I get the other one. And the black case in the middle is my Koss ESP 950s that have been in there for 6 months. Hey, it's a nice case, I'm sure they are comfortablepost #430 of 133112/13/13 at 4:56pmpost #431 of 133112/13/13 at 4:59pmQuote:
Most DACs work out-of-the-box with Mac, but for Windows, 99% of them need factory driver installed.
Assuming you are using Windows PC, have you installed NAD and Emo usb drivers?post #432 of 133112/13/13 at 4:59pmThread Starterpost #433 of 133112/13/13 at 5:05pmThread StarterQuote:
I tried the NAD drivers, but it wants to see the DAC connected, and it doesn't, so it won't work.post #434 of 133112/13/13 at 5:10pmThread Starterpost #435 of 133112/13/13 at 5:10pm
This thread is locked
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 33 seconds ago
- › Looking for the correct digital cable to connect a Fiio X-5 to a... 1 minute ago
- › post your grado mods.... 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › JRiver Media Center 21 -- Ready To Go 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › A Bit of Music and a Bit of Fun 2 minutes ago
- › Finally have some money :) time for a full system upgrade, HELP... 2 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 2 minutes ago
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by MorrisL
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by achelgeson
- › Meze 99 Classics by Mshenay
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by C.C.S.
- › Effect Audio Leonidas by MikePortnoy
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by DynamikeB
- › Marantz HD- DAC1High Definition USB DAC / Headphone Amp by Gamergtx260
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by flinkenick
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...