afaik the metrum is in the shootout.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAnedio D2 DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productBenchmark DAC2 HGCtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productB.M.C. PureDACtagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productChord Chordette QuteHD DACtagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productDangerous Music Sourcetagged by AudioMan612, 12/17/14
- productEmotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productEmotiva XDA-1tagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productGrace Design m903 reference headphone amplifier / DACtagged by AudioMan612, 1/11/15
- productLynx Hilotagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13More
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productMetrum Acoustics Octavetagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productNAD M51 DACtagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productResonessence Labs Concerotagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productSchiit Gungnirtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productTelex 300104-801 OH-4v Odyssey Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productYulong Audio Sabre DA8tagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
Related Forum Threads
- Purchasing LCD-X Amp DAC Suggestions. Last post on 5/31/14 at 11:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Alternatives to Audiolab M-DAC? Last post on 4/26/13 at 10:32am in Dedicated Source Components
- NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions Last post on 3/19/17 at 1:58pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company. Last post on Today at 9:03 am in High-end Audio Forum
- Need Help with Amp Decision for LCD-3f before deployment Last post on 2/4/17 at 10:07am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all my...
I was surprised to see only a single review for this player, so figured I'd throw my hat into the ring. I owned this player for about a year until it was stolen (along with an entire...
I have had the opportunity to review a few inexpensive MP3 players recently and have generally been quite impressed with many of them as they clearly appear to put sound quality before pretty much...
WHAT MAKES THESE TUBE AMPS SPECIAL?Okay, so every audiophile or audio enthusiast I've met wants one of these and there is certainly a reason for it. Besides the fact that this thing just sounds...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to checking out an exciting new entry to FiiO's expanding earphone lineup, the F1. FiiO really needs no introduction given that their audio equipment has grown...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison - Page 29
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The Metrum Octave II is in the field and in my dining room, in its box, as are the Benchmark, Yulong, Emotiva, Dangerous Music, Chordette, Arcam and NAD.
The Gungnir is reportedly at my post office, though the woman behind the counter failed to give it to me when I picked up the Metrum this morning. I handed her the paper that was left in my mailbox yesterday, and after she messed up the street number (it's "4321"... kind of hard to mess up, if you ask me), she moved a bunch of boxes around and then handed me one with the Metrum in it, She seemed quite confused by the whole episode, but told me to sign the screen so I did. I'm guessing that means I've confirmed delivery... of the wrong box, since when I just checked the Gungnir's tracking number on the USPS site it says they attempted delivery and left a notice yesterday... which I used today to pick up the Metrum. Sigh. There's a reason why UPS and FedEx use barcoded tracking systems... and why they are making lots of money while the USPS is going broke.
I'll go back tomorrow and try to find whatever other boxes are there for me. But the moral of this story is that from now on I will ask that all things being sent to me go by one of the competent delivery services, not the USPS.
Got the Dangerous Source and a Focal Spirit Pro as a work Xmas gift today
So far, I really like what I'm hearing with both.
The DS is more the object here and, as you understood, I'm liking it a lot.
It's smaller than I expected and fit perfectly between my two 24" screens. Happy worker for sure
Edit: oh, and I ship the Ciunas and TeddyPSU tomorrow. You'll get that in the middle of the week. The octave and chord should have received proper burn-in by then.
The DS also has an external 12V power supply, by the way. You might be able to use the TeddyPSU with it, if the plug is compatible!
Edited by Clemmaster - 12/13/13 at 11:39am
The Gungnir has now joined the others on my dining room table. 9 DACs are now in the house. The furniture is mostly set up how I think I want it (had to rearrange some stuff to make all of this work... the non-existent wife did not complain). I expect to get at least some of them up and running later tonight to start break-in, and the intention is to have 7 running continuously from tomorrow morning until ~Wednesday, when they will have ~100 hours on them and I can start comparisons. Schedule is subject to significant change if I can't get all 7 up and running at one time.
UPS tracking shows an Exception of "Late Trailer" for the Concero. I guess that means you won't be getting it today, as scheduled.
I hope "Late Trailer" doesn't mean it's dead...
And speaking of dead, I can't get my computer to recognize either the NAD or my Emo XDA-1 via USB. I've tried multiple cables, multiple ports, which work fine with phones and printers and such, but when I plug in a DAC it's as if they don't exist. What am I doing wrong????
Note that optical works fine. Including through the optical splitter (yaaayyy!!!!) but that isn't good enough.
And here's a picture of a bunch of boxes for those of you who get off on that sort of thing. Note that the 2 on the upper left are my new Senn HD600 and HD650, both still in their boxes because one is a present, and the person gets to pick which one she wants... I get the other one. And the black case in the middle is my Koss ESP 950s that have been in there for 6 months. Hey, it's a nice case, I'm sure they are comfortable
Most DACs work out-of-the-box with Mac, but for Windows, 99% of them need factory driver installed.
Assuming you are using Windows PC, have you installed NAD and Emo usb drivers?
I tried the NAD drivers, but it wants to see the DAC connected, and it doesn't, so it won't work.
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 27 seconds ago
- › Effect Audio Genesis 34 seconds ago
- › WTB: ZMF Pads 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - Newer Thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 1 minute ago
- › Studio Axo (Wireless BT adapter) 2 minutes ago
- › SONY PHA-2A USB DAC Portable Headphone Amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 3 minutes ago
- › AKG's new K872? 4 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Audio 4 minutes ago
- › oBravo ERIB-1C 2way planar magnetic hybrid by twister6
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by SkumBucket
- › BENJIE K9 8G APE/FLAC/WAV High Sound Quality Entry-level Lossless... by Peddler
- › Darkvoice 336SE by SOULSIK
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by B9Scrambler
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by OSiRiSsk
- › Brainwavz Jive by ezekiel77
- › Accutone Pisces Digital In-Ear Headset - Retail Packaging -... by Cinder
- › Noble Audio Dulce Bass UIEM by EZE99
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by PinkyPowers
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear