You can get the PWD II at around that price all year round.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAnedio D2 DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productBenchmark DAC2 HGCtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productB.M.C. PureDACtagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productChord Chordette QuteHD DACtagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productDangerous Music Sourcetagged by AudioMan612, 12/17/14
- productEmotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productEmotiva XDA-1tagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productGrace Design m903 reference headphone amplifier / DACtagged by AudioMan612, 1/11/15
- productLynx Hilotagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13More
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productMetrum Acoustics Octavetagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productNAD M51 DACtagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productResonessence Labs Concerotagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productSchiit Gungnirtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productTelex 300104-801 OH-4v Odyssey Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productYulong Audio Sabre DA8tagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
Related Forum Threads
- Purchasing LCD-X Amp DAC Suggestions. Last post on 5/31/14 at 11:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Alternatives to Audiolab M-DAC? Last post on 4/26/13 at 10:32am in Dedicated Source Components
- NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions Last post on 5/28/16 at 10:34am in Dedicated Source Components
- Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company. Last post on 2/29/16 at 12:55am in High-end Audio Forum
- Need Help with Amp Decision for LCD-3f before deployment Last post on 12/26/14 at 4:34pm in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 11/25/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONFirstly I want to shout out to Mark (Head-Fier d marc0) for working with Ken Ball from...
Here is my short review of the HOOKA headphone hanger. Thank you to Pandora from Brainwavz for providing me with the product. This very cool headphone hanger came in a nice, small sized...
The Emotiva DC-1 Stealth DAC is frankly, an incredible value. The only other products I can think of that offers such a complete and capable skill set for such a low cost are the Koss KSC75,...
This is a very comfortable headphone (not ideally so, but close enough) and once you get used to the clap force, you barely notice it's on. The sound quality is amazing. I have compared this...
First of all, thank you to @ejong7 for arranging for me to be included in this review tour. I am in no way affiliated with Obravo or any retailer. I am head-fi hobbyist and music lover...
December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison - Page 28post #406 of 133112/11/13 at 7:58pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #407 of 133112/11/13 at 8:13pmpost #408 of 133112/11/13 at 8:31pmThread Starterpost #409 of 133112/11/13 at 8:37pm
There's nothing wrong with it. It's a nice DAC but the street price is much lower than the MSRP which can be said for many products. If I didn't get my Buffalo at a good price I probably would have ended up with the PWD II.post #410 of 133112/11/13 at 8:38pmpost #411 of 133112/11/13 at 8:40pmpost #412 of 133112/11/13 at 8:50pmThere are a lot of them out there. Plus the list prices are always crazy high after they've been out as long as the PWD has. The Hilo list is $2495 and you can buy them new for $1850. Those list prices are new release (read gotta have the newest soonest). Add to that Darryl is generous re-selling products he brings through the audio den.post #413 of 133112/11/13 at 8:52pmThread Starter
Trust me, I sure wish I had seen all of the DACs I just ordered at that kind of discount. The only ones I got discounted were the Emo Stealth, which was on holiday sale, the Yulong because Shenzen discounted it on Amazon and Grant matched them, and one other that I got 10% off of (not sure if I can say it in the open... but if that dealer in America's heartland is reading this thread and wants me to mention it, I will, via PMs for anybody interested). Otherwise, when you are dealing with only a couple of retailers in the country, it is tough to negotiate on price -- you want their product, you have to buy it from them, and you pay their price.post #414 of 133112/12/13 at 12:10am
I'd say include it in the test.
Wouldn't it be interesting to see where this double priced DAC stand in the test and comparisons?
I'd like to see a much much cheaper DAC ($499 Emotiva Stealth DC-1?) comes out on top of this thing.
I know I'm dreaming, but you get the idea.
Edited by chanwhk - 12/12/13 at 12:12ampost #415 of 133112/12/13 at 12:17ampost #416 of 133112/12/13 at 1:06ampost #417 of 133112/12/13 at 1:34am
Nice to see the initial report(s) are positive.. any word on how the headphone amplifier section performs (along with the DAC).. I don't want to take this thread OT, so if you guys are posting impressions in an another thread, let is know.post #418 of 133112/12/13 at 7:39amQuote:
I haven't posted any impressions anywhere else, I have only had it in-hand a couple of days now.
The internal headphone amp is very good. The best way I can describe the sound of both the DAC and amp sections of the Source comes from a review I'd read on it prior to buying. "The Dangerous Music converters are designed to sound transparent but not clinical, musical but uncolored." IMO, that hits the nail on the head. I've been flipping back and forth between it and my Gungnir and keep finding myself reluctant to switch to the Gungnir when listening to the DS and eager to switch back to the DS when listening to the Gungnir. That's not meant as a slight against the Gungnir at all, it's an excellent DAC - my ears just seem to prefer the DS the more I compare the two.
All just my own subjective opinion, and I look forward to reading how Gary's impressions compare to what I'm hearing, especially against a larger field of competitors. I'm a bit disappointed that the Hilo seems to be dead-set on bowing out of this, as I'd thought about going that route, too.
-Mikepost #419 of 133112/12/13 at 8:04am
This thread is locked
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 36 seconds ago
- › Schiit Magni 2 Uber 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 4 minutes ago
- › post your grado mods.... 5 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! 5 minutes ago
- › In ear travel question 6 minutes ago
- › Deciding between Dt770 pro 80 ohm, Dt990 pro, ATH-M50X 7 minutes ago
- › Vape-Fi 10 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 12 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Hooka by DynamikeB
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by MorrisL
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by achelgeson
- › Meze 99 Classics by Mshenay
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by C.C.S.
- › Effect Audio Leonidas by MikePortnoy
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by DynamikeB
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...