You can get the PWD II at around that price all year round.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAnedio D2 DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productBenchmark DAC2 HGCtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productEmotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productEmotiva XDA-1tagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productLynx Hilotagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productResonessence Labs Concerotagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productSchiit Gungnirtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productTelex 300104-801 OH-4v Odyssey Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13More
- productYulong Audio Sabre DA8tagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
Related Forum Threads
- Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) Last post on 10/23/14 at 9:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Best ~$600 USB DAC? Last post on 9/18/14 at 6:24pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Matrix X-Sabre vs Benchmark DAC2 Last post on 3/1/14 at 7:41pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Should I Upgrade? Last post on 3/7/14 at 9:59am in Dedicated Source Components
- Choosing between 3 DACs Last post on 2/14/14 at 8:28am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 7/10/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison - Page 28post #406 of 133112/11/13 at 7:58pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #407 of 133112/11/13 at 8:13pmpost #408 of 133112/11/13 at 8:31pmThread Starterpost #409 of 133112/11/13 at 8:37pm
There's nothing wrong with it. It's a nice DAC but the street price is much lower than the MSRP which can be said for many products. If I didn't get my Buffalo at a good price I probably would have ended up with the PWD II.post #410 of 133112/11/13 at 8:38pmpost #411 of 133112/11/13 at 8:40pmpost #412 of 133112/11/13 at 8:50pmThere are a lot of them out there. Plus the list prices are always crazy high after they've been out as long as the PWD has. The Hilo list is $2495 and you can buy them new for $1850. Those list prices are new release (read gotta have the newest soonest). Add to that Darryl is generous re-selling products he brings through the audio den.post #413 of 133112/11/13 at 8:52pmThread Starter
Trust me, I sure wish I had seen all of the DACs I just ordered at that kind of discount. The only ones I got discounted were the Emo Stealth, which was on holiday sale, the Yulong because Shenzen discounted it on Amazon and Grant matched them, and one other that I got 10% off of (not sure if I can say it in the open... but if that dealer in America's heartland is reading this thread and wants me to mention it, I will, via PMs for anybody interested). Otherwise, when you are dealing with only a couple of retailers in the country, it is tough to negotiate on price -- you want their product, you have to buy it from them, and you pay their price.post #414 of 133112/12/13 at 12:10am
I'd say include it in the test.
Wouldn't it be interesting to see where this double priced DAC stand in the test and comparisons?
I'd like to see a much much cheaper DAC ($499 Emotiva Stealth DC-1?) comes out on top of this thing.
I know I'm dreaming, but you get the idea.
Edited by chanwhk - 12/12/13 at 12:12ampost #415 of 133112/12/13 at 12:17ampost #416 of 133112/12/13 at 1:06ampost #417 of 133112/12/13 at 1:34am
Nice to see the initial report(s) are positive.. any word on how the headphone amplifier section performs (along with the DAC).. I don't want to take this thread OT, so if you guys are posting impressions in an another thread, let is know.post #418 of 133112/12/13 at 7:39amQuote:
I haven't posted any impressions anywhere else, I have only had it in-hand a couple of days now.
The internal headphone amp is very good. The best way I can describe the sound of both the DAC and amp sections of the Source comes from a review I'd read on it prior to buying. "The Dangerous Music converters are designed to sound transparent but not clinical, musical but uncolored." IMO, that hits the nail on the head. I've been flipping back and forth between it and my Gungnir and keep finding myself reluctant to switch to the Gungnir when listening to the DS and eager to switch back to the DS when listening to the Gungnir. That's not meant as a slight against the Gungnir at all, it's an excellent DAC - my ears just seem to prefer the DS the more I compare the two.
All just my own subjective opinion, and I look forward to reading how Gary's impressions compare to what I'm hearing, especially against a larger field of competitors. I'm a bit disappointed that the Hilo seems to be dead-set on bowing out of this, as I'd thought about going that route, too.
-Mikepost #419 of 133112/12/13 at 8:04am
This thread is locked
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › The discovery thread.! NEW sfwalcer's earphone comparo PG 1727.... 1 minute ago
- › JVC HA-FXT100, HA-FXT200, HA-FXT200 LTD HI-SPEED 1 minute ago
- › What pisses you off while you listening music? 2 minutes ago
- › The everchanging thoughts of a college student regarding music 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Check out Chun Li's amp from Street Fighter II the Movie! 5 minutes ago
- › Sony announces the "Just ear" brand of custom IEMs 5 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 5 minutes ago
- › How do you find new music? 6 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 6 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)