You can get the PWD II at around that price all year round.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAnedio D2 DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productBenchmark DAC2 HGCtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productB.M.C. PureDACtagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productChord Chordette QuteHD DACtagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productDangerous Music Sourcetagged by AudioMan612, 12/17/14
- productEmotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productEmotiva XDA-1tagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productGrace Design m903 reference headphone amplifier / DACtagged by AudioMan612, 1/11/15
- productLynx Hilotagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13More
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productMetrum Acoustics Octavetagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productNAD M51 DACtagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productResonessence Labs Concerotagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productSchiit Gungnirtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productTelex 300104-801 OH-4v Odyssey Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productYulong Audio Sabre DA8tagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
Related Forum Threads
- Purchasing LCD-X Amp DAC Suggestions. Last post on 5/31/14 at 11:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Alternatives to Audiolab M-DAC? Last post on 4/26/13 at 10:32am in Dedicated Source Components
- NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions Last post on Today at 12:51 pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company. Last post on 6/24/15 at 8:23pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Need Help with Amp Decision for LCD-3f before deployment Last post on 12/26/14 at 4:34pm in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
First off, these were supplied to me for review by Pandora at Brainwavz for my honest and unbiased opinion, my thanks to them for their trust in me to do this. Here is a link to them on Amazon...
At the time of the review, the Brainwavz Jive earphone was was on sale at Amazon’s website for $25.00 USD. Here is a link to Their listing of the...
You got a budget? You want Bluetooth Earphones? Buy the Qy7. Simple. Done. Easy. There is a little more to it though. Important features is the V4.1 Bluetooth connection, this...
What is Cozoy Aegis?: Did you remember Cozoy Astrapi DAC/AMP? Well this is the brother of it Aegis (right) Aegis (left) and Astrapi (right) Cozoy Aegis is a...
You probably already know OPPO as a smartphone brand, but the company called OPPO Digital isn’t exactly the same. It is the American sister company of the Chinese smartphone company, and its main...
December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison - Page 28post #406 of 133112/11/13 at 7:58pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #407 of 133112/11/13 at 8:13pmpost #408 of 133112/11/13 at 8:31pmThread Starterpost #409 of 133112/11/13 at 8:37pm
There's nothing wrong with it. It's a nice DAC but the street price is much lower than the MSRP which can be said for many products. If I didn't get my Buffalo at a good price I probably would have ended up with the PWD II.post #410 of 133112/11/13 at 8:38pmpost #411 of 133112/11/13 at 8:40pmpost #412 of 133112/11/13 at 8:50pmThere are a lot of them out there. Plus the list prices are always crazy high after they've been out as long as the PWD has. The Hilo list is $2495 and you can buy them new for $1850. Those list prices are new release (read gotta have the newest soonest). Add to that Darryl is generous re-selling products he brings through the audio den.post #413 of 133112/11/13 at 8:52pmThread Starter
Trust me, I sure wish I had seen all of the DACs I just ordered at that kind of discount. The only ones I got discounted were the Emo Stealth, which was on holiday sale, the Yulong because Shenzen discounted it on Amazon and Grant matched them, and one other that I got 10% off of (not sure if I can say it in the open... but if that dealer in America's heartland is reading this thread and wants me to mention it, I will, via PMs for anybody interested). Otherwise, when you are dealing with only a couple of retailers in the country, it is tough to negotiate on price -- you want their product, you have to buy it from them, and you pay their price.post #414 of 133112/12/13 at 12:10am
I'd say include it in the test.
Wouldn't it be interesting to see where this double priced DAC stand in the test and comparisons?
I'd like to see a much much cheaper DAC ($499 Emotiva Stealth DC-1?) comes out on top of this thing.
I know I'm dreaming, but you get the idea.
Edited by chanwhk - 12/12/13 at 12:12ampost #415 of 133112/12/13 at 12:17ampost #416 of 133112/12/13 at 1:06ampost #417 of 133112/12/13 at 1:34am
Nice to see the initial report(s) are positive.. any word on how the headphone amplifier section performs (along with the DAC).. I don't want to take this thread OT, so if you guys are posting impressions in an another thread, let is know.post #418 of 133112/12/13 at 7:39amQuote:
I haven't posted any impressions anywhere else, I have only had it in-hand a couple of days now.
The internal headphone amp is very good. The best way I can describe the sound of both the DAC and amp sections of the Source comes from a review I'd read on it prior to buying. "The Dangerous Music converters are designed to sound transparent but not clinical, musical but uncolored." IMO, that hits the nail on the head. I've been flipping back and forth between it and my Gungnir and keep finding myself reluctant to switch to the Gungnir when listening to the DS and eager to switch back to the DS when listening to the Gungnir. That's not meant as a slight against the Gungnir at all, it's an excellent DAC - my ears just seem to prefer the DS the more I compare the two.
All just my own subjective opinion, and I look forward to reading how Gary's impressions compare to what I'm hearing, especially against a larger field of competitors. I'm a bit disappointed that the Hilo seems to be dead-set on bowing out of this, as I'd thought about going that route, too.
-Mikepost #419 of 133112/12/13 at 8:04am
This thread is locked
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › D.C. Area Meet (August 30, 2015) Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Headphone amplifier 6 minutes ago
- › In car USB, better SQ if upgrade from IPOD to ???? 7 minutes ago
- › Mister Tao (mistertao) 8 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 11 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 14 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread 16 minutes ago
- › New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster" 16 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 18 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by dragon2knight
- › Brainwavz Jive by Hisoundfi
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by BloodyPenguin
- › Cozoy Aegis Portable 24/192 DAC/Amp by Baycode
- › OPPO HA-2 by ClieOS
- › Westone UM Pro 30 by Voyageur
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by STRMfrmXMN
- › Inearz IE-P650 6xBA driver CIEM by twister6
- › Creative Aurvana In-Ear3 by Fidelity King
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by asymcon
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2