You can get the PWD II at around that price all year round.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAnedio D2 DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productBenchmark DAC2 HGCtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productB.M.C. PureDACtagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productChord Chordette QuteHD DACtagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productDangerous Music Sourcetagged by AudioMan612, 12/17/14
- productEmotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productEmotiva XDA-1tagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productGrace Design m903 reference headphone amplifier / DACtagged by AudioMan612, 1/11/15
- productLynx Hilotagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13More
- productMatrix X-Sabre DACtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productMetrum Acoustics Octavetagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productNAD M51 DACtagged by AudioMan612, 2/22/15
- productResonessence Labs Concerotagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productSchiit Gungnirtagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productTelex 300104-801 OH-4v Odyssey Headphonetagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
- productYulong Audio Sabre DA8tagged by dbsaffor, 11/12/13
Related Forum Threads
- Purchasing LCD-X Amp DAC Suggestions. Last post on 5/31/14 at 11:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff) Last post on Today at 4:32 pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Alternatives to Audiolab M-DAC? Last post on 4/26/13 at 10:32am in Dedicated Source Components
- NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions Last post on 5/26/15 at 9:42pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company. Last post on 5/20/15 at 7:39am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 4/13/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
At the time this review was written, the Huaham E701 Silence Dreamer in-ear monitor was on sale for $26.99 USD on Amazon’s website. Here is a link to a listing of their product at the time of the...
Aurisonics ASG-2.5 Review Introduction Many thanks to samma3a.com for providing me with a ASG2.5 for a week to review. Aurisonics is a Nashville, Tennessee, US based company that produces...
For music on the go. This are my favourites for the moment. I rate it even higher than the Sennheiser Momentum because the cans are much more comfortable. In terms of Bass qualities,I prefer...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison - Page 28post #406 of 133112/11/13 at 7:58pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #407 of 133112/11/13 at 8:13pmpost #408 of 133112/11/13 at 8:31pmThread Starterpost #409 of 133112/11/13 at 8:37pm
There's nothing wrong with it. It's a nice DAC but the street price is much lower than the MSRP which can be said for many products. If I didn't get my Buffalo at a good price I probably would have ended up with the PWD II.post #410 of 133112/11/13 at 8:38pmpost #411 of 133112/11/13 at 8:40pmpost #412 of 133112/11/13 at 8:50pmThere are a lot of them out there. Plus the list prices are always crazy high after they've been out as long as the PWD has. The Hilo list is $2495 and you can buy them new for $1850. Those list prices are new release (read gotta have the newest soonest). Add to that Darryl is generous re-selling products he brings through the audio den.post #413 of 133112/11/13 at 8:52pmThread Starter
Trust me, I sure wish I had seen all of the DACs I just ordered at that kind of discount. The only ones I got discounted were the Emo Stealth, which was on holiday sale, the Yulong because Shenzen discounted it on Amazon and Grant matched them, and one other that I got 10% off of (not sure if I can say it in the open... but if that dealer in America's heartland is reading this thread and wants me to mention it, I will, via PMs for anybody interested). Otherwise, when you are dealing with only a couple of retailers in the country, it is tough to negotiate on price -- you want their product, you have to buy it from them, and you pay their price.post #414 of 133112/12/13 at 12:10am
I'd say include it in the test.
Wouldn't it be interesting to see where this double priced DAC stand in the test and comparisons?
I'd like to see a much much cheaper DAC ($499 Emotiva Stealth DC-1?) comes out on top of this thing.
I know I'm dreaming, but you get the idea.
Edited by chanwhk - 12/12/13 at 12:12ampost #415 of 133112/12/13 at 12:17ampost #416 of 133112/12/13 at 1:06ampost #417 of 133112/12/13 at 1:34am
Nice to see the initial report(s) are positive.. any word on how the headphone amplifier section performs (along with the DAC).. I don't want to take this thread OT, so if you guys are posting impressions in an another thread, let is know.post #418 of 133112/12/13 at 7:39amQuote:
I haven't posted any impressions anywhere else, I have only had it in-hand a couple of days now.
The internal headphone amp is very good. The best way I can describe the sound of both the DAC and amp sections of the Source comes from a review I'd read on it prior to buying. "The Dangerous Music converters are designed to sound transparent but not clinical, musical but uncolored." IMO, that hits the nail on the head. I've been flipping back and forth between it and my Gungnir and keep finding myself reluctant to switch to the Gungnir when listening to the DS and eager to switch back to the DS when listening to the Gungnir. That's not meant as a slight against the Gungnir at all, it's an excellent DAC - my ears just seem to prefer the DS the more I compare the two.
All just my own subjective opinion, and I look forward to reading how Gary's impressions compare to what I'm hearing, especially against a larger field of competitors. I'm a bit disappointed that the Hilo seems to be dead-set on bowing out of this, as I'd thought about going that route, too.
-Mikepost #419 of 133112/12/13 at 8:04am
This thread is locked
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Closed headphones for classical music on iPad 6 seconds ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 19 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › The All new FiiO X1, 192K/24B, PCM5142 DAC and 100mW output with LO... 2 minutes ago
- › 11th Calgary Head-Fi Meet Sunday May 31st, 2015 at University of... 3 minutes ago
- › Setup is not doing well with shooters... 4 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 7 minutes ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 7 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by Hisoundfi
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 by mark2410
- › Huaham Ultimate Edition E701 Noodle Style Ergonomics Noise... by Hisoundfi
- › Aurisonics ASG-2.5 Generic Fit Digital-Hybrid In-Ear Monitors in... by Koolpep
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by Chiek
- › Graham Slee Lautus USB Cable by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by Chiek
- › Astell & Kern AK100 Mastering Quality Sound (MQS) Portable... by Tail
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by tyco
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by kite7
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2