Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison - Page 16  

post #226 of 1331

An external hub splits and gives you more ports, but all those ports are still running off the same internal bus and it can only handle so much before you'll get errors and/or interference. The extra card should in theory expand it properly, assuming it handles some of the processing and isn't shoving that all through the motherboard or something.

 

(please note, this is per my understanding of the architecture but I'm not an expert at this)

post #227 of 1331

I was just browsing the list here...http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/331-computer-audiophile-suggested-hardware-list/

in the budget range:

Ayre Acoustics QB-9

Bel Canto 1.5e

post #228 of 1331
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

I was just browsing the list here...http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/331-computer-audiophile-suggested-hardware-list/

in the budget range:

Ayre Acoustics QB-9

Bel Canto 1.5e


The Bel Canto is out based on nobody offering free returns (including the local dealer).  The local Ayre dealer doesn't indicate on their site whether they have a return policy.  I could call them if folks think this DAC is worth including in the field.

post #229 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in MD View Post
 


You mean a card like this:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Express-Connector-Desktops-Chipset/dp/B005ARQV6U/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1385535134&sr=1-5&keywords=pci+usb+card

 

How much better is that going to be than an external hub?

probably better to get a usb2 expansion card if you are gonna get one. some dacs have issues when run on usb3 ports (even tho usb3 is supposed to be fully backwards compatible with usb2)

post #230 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd007 View Post
 

probably better to get a usb2 expansion card if you are gonna get one. some dacs have issues when run on usb3 ports (even tho usb3 is supposed to be fully backwards compatible with usb2)

 

Agree,  USB3 has higher chance to run into compatibility issues.     (After installed USB3 PCI-E card to PC, you need to download specific driver for this card, and the driver often run into trouble supporting USB2 and even USB3 devices.   From my experience, usb3 == trouble)

 

 

I don't see the benefit of using USB hub, or USB PCI-E card.    I guess Gary's intent is to let all DACs connected to the computer at the same time.   But when A/B switching the DAC, you still need to go to computer settings / playback software settings and select the new device.    That will cost 5~10 seconds.        

I would rather only keep 1 DAC connected to the computer,  and unplug, plug usb when switching DACs. This will only add extra 2 seconds (on top of the time needed to switch software settings).

post #231 of 1331
Quote:

I don't see the benefit of using USB hub, or USB PCI-E card.    I guess Gary's intent is to let all DACs connected to the computer at the same time.   But when A/B switching the DAC, you still need to go to computer settings / playback software settings and select the new device.    That will cost 5~10 seconds.        

I would rather only keep 1 DAC connected to the computer,  and unplug, plug usb when switching DACs. This will only add extra 2 seconds (on top of the time needed to switch software settings).

Alternatively run 2 instances of Foobar each configured with a different output.

post #232 of 1331

As mentioned a couple pages back, Gary is running JRiver which is capable of outputting to multiple dacs simultaneously.

post #233 of 1331

How about adding the Light Harmonic DaVinci Dual Dac ?  :wink:

 

http://www.lightharmonic.com/davincidual.html

post #234 of 1331
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHamster View Post
 

How about adding the Light Harmonic DaVinci Dual Dac ?  :wink:

 

http://www.lightharmonic.com/davincidual.html

I have not been able to locate any pricing information, and the nearest dealer is 100s of miles away.  Is the unit <$2500, and do you know of an internet source with a free return policy?

post #235 of 1331
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

As mentioned a couple pages back, Gary is running JRiver which is capable of outputting to multiple dacs simultaneously.

I do intend to use JRiver to feed multiple DACs, assuming I can figure it out, or you folks can talk me through the setup for that.  I'm currently using Foobar, which I don't believe has that capability.

 

Are there any other votes about using USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0?  Adding USB-3.0 would be a nice upgrade for my computer aside from audio use, so I would prefer to do that if it won't lead to endless headaches during this test.  Otherwise I'll go with the USB 2.0, or just try the hub I ordered.  I would really like to avoid swapping cables regularly.

post #236 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in MD View Post
 

I have not been able to locate any pricing information, and the nearest dealer is 100s of miles away.  Is the unit <$2500, and do you know of an internet source with a free return policy?

Sorry, Garry - I had intended that purely as a joke ! I think it retails at over $40,000 making it one of the most (if not the most) expensive DAC in existence ... of course, I have 3 here - I'll just send you one of the ones I'm not using (the one in my "bedroom system") ... :eek:

post #237 of 1331

I think it would be worthwhile to look at the Benchmark DAC2 - you have a generous trial period, and a number of members have ended up picking it as their DAC of choice after trying a wide selection.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in MD View Post
 

I do intend to use JRiver to feed multiple DACs, assuming I can figure it out, or you folks can talk me through the setup for that.  I'm currently using Foobar, which I don't believe has that capability.

 

Are there any other votes about using USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0?  Adding USB-3.0 would be a nice upgrade for my computer aside from audio use, so I would prefer to do that if it won't lead to endless headaches during this test.  Otherwise I'll go with the USB 2.0, or just try the hub I ordered.  I would really like to avoid swapping cables regularly.


You can set up a Zone in JRiver for each DAC. After doing so, you should then be able to link the zones together. (though I'm not sure if there is a limit on how many zones can be linked)

 

You will probably not have sound perfectly in sync across all the zones though, for a number of different reasons. (how long each DAC takes to process an input for one thing)

 

Do any DACs support USB3?


Edited by StudioSound - 11/28/13 at 5:40am
post #238 of 1331
I don't think USB3 offers any improovements for USB audio at all?

A USB2 device will work just fine on a USB3 port tho.

I still use my Benchmark DAC2-HGC every day, no regrets, very happy with my choice biggrin.gif

These days it's powering my HD800 and LLmk2/SR-009, and Shure SE-535's for those late night listening sessions smily_headphones1.gif
post #239 of 1331

+1 for the Benchmark DAC 2.

 

This is shaping up to one of the best threads ever. I am in the market for a new dac in this range, and I pretty much plan to get whatever comes out as the winner. 

 

Thanks Gary.

post #240 of 1331
Thread Starter 

Benchmark Dac-2 over the Anedio D2?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison