Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison - Page 74  

post #1096 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner100 View Post
 


Yep, I did notice that the two use the same USB chip. The dc-1 should be here within an hour or two... I hope. 

 

Gary already had the DC-1 driver installed, so when we tried to install the Gungnir driver, it just gave the option to deinstall the driver. Although I had a chance to listen to both the DC-1 and Gungnir, we couldn't get them running at the same time. If you can get both running at the same time and route the unbalanced out of the Gungnir through the DC-1 into your amp, you may be able to fast switch between them. Level match if you can.

post #1097 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
 

 

Gary already had the DC-1 driver installed, so when we tried to install the Gungnir driver, it just gave the option to deinstall the driver. Although I had a chance to listen to both the DC-1 and Gungnir, we couldn't get them running at the same time. If you can get both running at the same time and route the unbalanced out of the Gungnir through the DC-1 into your amp, you may be able to fast switch between them. Level match if you can.


Mmm... I don't have anything that I can use to level match. Turns out that emotiva doesn't specify the line-out voltage for their RCA outputs. 

 

If I can't get both of them running via USB, then I will use the coax input on the dc-1.

post #1098 of 1331

Okay... DC-1 is in and playing now. I feel like it sounds different from the gungnir but it's hard to say exactly how different so far... I just plugged my UERMs into the HO of the dc-1 and it actually sounds pretty decent. There is a little bit of hum though, and a little bit of electrical noise.

post #1099 of 1331
Should be neither, obviously check connections,..,,
post #1100 of 1331

Well the Gungnir is pretty aggressive-maybe the DC-1 isn't? That could account for obvious differences right off the bat imo. Also-how well does the HO pair with the HD800? (If you can unplug it from the Vali for two seconds lol).

 

-Daniel

post #1101 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatheelmusic View Post

Should be neither, obviously check connections,..,,


Some of the noise was removed when I unplugged the USB. Doesn't really matter, as I'll never use the HO of the emotiva.

post #1102 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post
 

Well the Gungnir is pretty aggressive-maybe the DC-1 isn't? That could account for obvious differences right off the bat imo. Also-how well does the HO pair with the HD800? (If you can unplug it from the Vali for two seconds lol).

 

-Daniel


It's.... usable. Compared to the vali, it is not as clean sounding as the soundstage closes in a little bit. The difference in bass texture was very noticeable, with the vali being more controlled and detailed. 

post #1103 of 1331
Since I use my Macbook Air on battery for USB , zero noise possible for me.

The Emo is dead silent.....
post #1104 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post
 

Well the Gungnir is pretty aggressive-maybe the DC-1 isn't? That could account for obvious differences right off the bat imo.,,

 

I've heard that from a few people, but after directly comparing the Gungnir with other DACs, and testing different amps with the Gungnir, I don't think it's true. The Mjolnir is very forward and I think that's where this impression comes from--since the two are frequently heard together. If someone has a Gungnir/Mjolnir and is looking for a warmer, thicker sound--the Mjolnir is the component that needs to be swapped.

post #1105 of 1331

So?  different? as good? better? as your gungnir?  Please share.  :)

post #1106 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatheelmusic View Post

Since I use my Macbook Air on battery for USB , zero noise possible for me.

The Emo is dead silent.....


The UERMs are very sensitive, and will pick up any noise or hum coming from a device. 

 

Barry, I got both the gungnir and dc-1 working at the same time with asio4all. Now I'm just not completely sure if they're level matched or not. To me they sound the same or very close, volume wise.

 

There is a short delay in switching between the USB input and analog on the dc-1. I'll just use my radioshack RCA switchbox instead when I do the comparison, since there is no delay when using that.


Edited by thegunner100 - 1/6/14 at 11:24am
post #1107 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner100 View Post
 


The UERMs are very sensitive, and will pick up any noise or hum coming from a device. 

 

Barry, I got both the gungnir and dc-1 working at the same time with asio4all. Now I'm just not completely sure if they're level matched or not. To me they sound the same or very close, volume wise.


Cool! You may be able to dl some free sound level software to match levels.  http://softwaresolution.informer.com/Sound-Level-Meter/

If you can find a white or pink noise file, or Jriver will generate that's all you need. I find I can do a pretty accurate job of matching pink/white noise by ear, but the meter is best.

post #1108 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
 

 

I've heard that from a few people, but after directly comparing the Gungnir with other DACs, and testing different amps with the Gungnir, I don't think it's true. The Mjolnir is very forward and I think that's where this impression comes from--since the two are frequently heard together. If someone has a Gungnir/Mjolnir and is looking for a warmer, thicker sound--the Mjolnir is the component that needs to be swapped.

 

Well my experience is only with a Gungnir gen 1 coupled with a BHA-1 and HD800. Worst sound I've ever heard almost-and the aggressive/bright Gungnir was the culprit. Loved the Bryston/HD800 pairing with every other dac though. YMMV.

 

-Daniel

post #1109 of 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post
 

 

Well my experience is only with a Gungnir gen 1 coupled with a BHA-1 and HD800. Worst sound I've ever heard almost-and the aggressive/bright Gungnir was the culprit. Loved the Bryston/HD800 pairing with every other dac though. YMMV.

 

-Daniel


Interesting. What DAC replaced the Gungnir?  I've heard the BHA-1 is bright, and the HD800 sounds very bright to a little north of neutral, depending on the amp. I think the HD800 is unlistenable on the Gungnir/Mjolnir--but I'm pretty sensitive to excess treble energy.

post #1110 of 1331

Alright well if there are no quick questions, I will just listen to the dc-1 for the rest of the week and let it burn-in. Sounds good far I suppose, no glaring problems at all. Is it better than the Gungnir? Dunno, I won't do any A/Bing til the weekend most likely.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison