Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Great 2.1 system for $2,000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Great 2.1 system for $2,000 - Page 2

post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

You're most welcome! There is alot of noise you have to dig through to get rock solid unbiased information, especially when people start chiming in all sorts of stuff with virtually no experience - the woes of the internet lol.

 

Anyways, on to your question. You most definitely do NOT want a bookshelf speaker that limited, especially for music. Now if you were really prioritizing movies, then I would recommend 5 or 7 bookshelves that have the flattest possible frequency response down to a minimum of 80hz, preferably 70hz. The reason why is that at 80hz, your ear cannot identify where the bass is coming from, so your brain won't be saying to you "The sub is right there on the floor". Therefore, your optimal crossover would be between 70-80hz.I hope that answered your question, please don't hesitate to ask more! :)

 

Awesome, I didn't know that! That makes sense! Thanks! I have a 2.1 system at home right now using bookshelf speakers and had the crossover frequency on my preamp between the sub/speakers set to 100hz. Do you think I should lower it to 80hz to get a smoother blend then? It doesn't seem to blend very well right now. 

post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidvanderbilt View Post
 

 

Awesome, I didn't know that! That makes sense! Thanks! I have a 2.1 system at home right now using bookshelf speakers and had the crossover frequency on my preamp between the sub/speakers set to 100hz. Do you think I should lower it to 80hz to get a smoother blend then? It doesn't seem to blend very well right now. 

Yeah, somewhere around 70-80hz is a great place to start. Also try to have the sub the same loudness as the speakers. In addition, a good way to find the best spot for subwoofer placement is called the 'subwoofer crawl'. It's really goofy, but it's effective! There are of course much more advanced ways to do these measurements, but without those tools this is the best way to fine tune your system.

post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Yeah, somewhere around 70-80hz is a great place to start. Also try to have the sub the same loudness as the speakers. In addition, a good way to find the best spot for subwoofer placement is called the 'subwoofer crawl'. It's really goofy, but it's effective! There are of course much more advanced ways to do these measurements, but without those tools this is the best way to fine tune your system.

 

Thanks! I lowered it to 80 and it already sounds a LOT better. I will try that subwoofer placement method! Again, thank you so much, this is invaluable information to me. 

post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidvanderbilt View Post
 

 

Thanks! I lowered it to 80 and it already sounds a LOT better. I will try that subwoofer placement method! Again, thank you so much, this is invaluable information to me. 

You're welcome. Just return the favor to others when the opportunity arises :beerchug:

post #20 of 20
I will do that!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Great 2.1 system for $2,000