New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

a77x or focal sm6?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

I am looking for a pair of studio monitors for dance music..any suggestions would be appreciated!

post #2 of 28

Would help to know your planned usage, source, budget available, space and your expectations.  Any monitor in this price range will be more than capable of reproducing EDM with pristine accuracy, however you will probably want to add a sub into your system for more accurate and defined low end response.  The other issue is active monitors of this level have a pretty tight sweet spot and may not be the perfect solution for your needs.  You also need to consider placement of speakers in the room and whether you require sealed cabinet or front/rear ported cabinets.

 

You may actually be better off spending a bit less on your overall speaker budget and then investing in some room treatment to deal with any acoustic issues.  The room you are in can really affect the listening pleasure, better to spend wisely than throw money at a problem.  I would do some research at soundonsound.com for reviews then ask some questions on homerecordings.com forums then go to a local retailer and to audition systems within your budget.  

 

Plenty of good choices in this price range, and below.... but I would not recommend spending all that cash without asking if its exactly what you want or need.  Look into KRK, Dynaudio, Genelec, JBL and Mackie as other alternatives that may be just as suitable.  

post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablix View Post
 

Would help to know your planned usage, source, budget available, space and your expectations.  Any monitor in this price range will be more than capable of reproducing EDM with pristine accuracy, however you will probably want to add a sub into your system for more accurate and defined low end response.  The other issue is active monitors of this level have a pretty tight sweet spot and may not be the perfect solution for your needs.  You also need to consider placement of speakers in the room and whether you require sealed cabinet or front/rear ported cabinets.

 

You may actually be better off spending a bit less on your overall speaker budget and then investing in some room treatment to deal with any acoustic issues.  The room you are in can really affect the listening pleasure, better to spend wisely than throw money at a problem.  I would do some research at soundonsound.com for reviews then ask some questions on homerecordings.com forums then go to a local retailer and to audition systems within your budget.

 

Plenty of good choices in this price range, and below.... but I would not recommend spending all that cash without asking if its exactly what you want or need.  Look into KRK, Dynaudio, Genelec, JBL and Mackie as other alternatives that may be just as suitable.

I have been on sound on sound and finished up with these two..it's for making dance music nothing else..the thing with the focals is you would probably need the sub 6..the adam audio are bass heavy so no need to worry about a sub..all the walls have been sound proofed with auralex..using them with the babyface rme and dj decks and synths and a korg electribe! http://youtu.be/D6S5bUbs9T0 http://youtu.be/X37aK6uB7A4 http://youtu.be/I3Dk-cnxayk


Edited by martin vegas - 11/9/13 at 3:01pm
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablix View Post

Would help to know your planned usage, source, budget available, space and your expectations.  Any monitor in this price range will be more than capable of reproducing EDM with pristine accuracy, however you will probably want to add a sub into your system for more accurate and defined low end response.  The other issue is active monitors of this level have a pretty tight sweet spot and may not be the perfect solution for your needs.  You also need to consider placement of speakers in the room and whether you require sealed cabinet or front/rear ported cabinets.

+1 on getting sub. Dance music really does benefit from a subwoofer, IMO.

Note that you don't have to go with a subwoofer in the same brand as the speakers, but you do need to make certain you get one that has the right connections and features to integrate well with the monitors.
post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


+1 on getting sub. Dance music really does benefit from a subwoofer, IMO.

Note that you don't have to go with a subwoofer in the same brand as the speakers, but you do need to make certain you get one that has the right connections and features to integrate well with the monitors.

Don't need a sub with the a77x! http://youtu.be/I3Dk-cnxayk The a77x are playing here with the decks!


Edited by martin vegas - 11/9/13 at 3:30pm
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin vegas View Post

Don't need a sub with the a77x! http://youtu.be/I3Dk-cnxayk The a77x are playing here with the decks!

I don't know what that means, and sorry. Not going to watch a 15 minute video (or even two minute video).
post #7 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


I don't know what that means, and sorry. Not going to watch a 15 minute video (or even two minute video).It means

It means you don't need a sub with them..Then it was time for the electronic house of Deadmau5, and the Adam AX77 turned into a very different beast indeed. The album 4x4=12 has some of the edgiest low‑bass sounds that you'll ever hear, and these are overlaid with detailed and sometimes surprisingly delicate mid‑ to high‑frequency sounds. The bandwidth of the A77X starts at 38Hz and it doesn't mess around when it is down there, producing a fast, accurate, rock‑solid and very deep bass that never feels as though it's dragging the beat or overpowering the other elements in the mix. If you ever own a pair of A77Xs, you're never going to even think about needing a subwoofer in your setup


Edited by martin vegas - 11/9/13 at 3:44pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin vegas View Post

If you ever own a pair of A77Xs, you're never going to even think about needing a subwoofer in your setup

I told my dual 18" sealed subs in my living room (950 watt amplifier) what you just said, and they are hysterically ROFLing. tongue.gif

Since you seem to know it all, I assume you already know that

1) Room acoustics greatly affect lower bass frequencies. Where speakers sound best is often not the best spot to accurately produce good bass. A subwoofer offers more flexibility in placement.
2) A subwoofer can be crossed over to produce frequencies that all speakers will struggle to produce below their tuning point and it takes some of the pressure off the amplifier. Many people report better SQ as a result.
3) Some of the factors that determines whether or not you need a sub is how big is the room, where are you sitting, and how loud do you listen.
4) YouTube is a horrible way to evaluate speakers. The only YouTube video I have ever seen that provides useful indications about what kind of bass a speaker can produce is this one:

post #9 of 28

I am in agreement with CEL regarding sub's , I am using A7x monitors and have been for a while, and they can produce pretty good bass but its certainly not the most perfect solution if you are really serious about production.  I have a small production room that is directly connected to someone else's property meaning a sub would upset the neighbors so I make do without.

 

The ADAM's are not bass heavy, that would defeat the object of a monitor, but they do have a wider frequency range.  That may mean a lower frequency response but due to the ported design they are probably less accurate at that level than a dedicated sub or indeed a closed cabinet sub.  

 

Also sound treatment does not mean covering every surface with auralex, a few panels in the correct place is enough, and do you use bass traps in the corners to deal with the low end frequencies.  There are some great guides to room acoustics and treatment around, also placement of your desk and monitors is also a factor and can alter your sound.  

 

You can make very decent sounds on very average gear, a good monitor is not going to improve your music and getting the best out of your monitors is far more difficult than parting with your cash.

 

All IMHO


Edited by Tablix - 11/9/13 at 11:25pm
post #10 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


I told my dual 18" sealed subs in my living room (950 watt amplifier) what you just said, and they are hysterically ROFLing. tongue.gif

Since you seem to know it all, I assume you already know that

1) Room acoustics greatly affect lower bass frequencies. Where speakers sound best is often not the best spot to accurately produce good bass. A subwoofer offers more flexibility in placement.
2) A subwoofer can be crossed over to produce frequencies that all speakers will struggle to produce below their tuning point and it takes some of the pressure off the amplifier. Many people report better SQ as a result.
3) Some of the factors that determines whether or not you need a sub is how big is the room, where are you sitting, and how loud do you listen.
4) YouTube is a horrible way to evaluate speakers. The only YouTube video I have ever seen that provides useful indications about what kind of bass a speaker can produce is this one:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablix View Post
 

I am in agreement with CEL regarding sub's , I am using A7x monitors and have been for a while, and they can produce pretty good bass but its certainly not the most perfect solution if you are really serious about production.  I have a small production room that is directly connected to someone else's property meaning a sub would upset the neighbors so I make do without.

 

The ADAM's are not bass heavy, that would defeat the object of a monitor, but they do have a wider frequency range.  That may mean a lower frequency response but due to the ported design they are probably less accurate at that level than a dedicated sub or indeed a closed cabinet sub.

 

Also sound treatment does not mean covering every surface with auralex, a few panels in the correct place is enough, and do you use bass traps in the corners to deal with the low end frequencies.  There are some great guides to room acoustics and treatment around, also placement of your desk and monitors is also a factor and can alter your sound.

 

You can make very decent sounds on very average gear, a good monitor is not going to improve your music and getting the best out of your monitors is far more difficult than parting with your cash.

 

All IMHO

Thanks for the answers..and yes I know about subs(I have thor's hammer subs stereo pair with an fbi)..I have the room done in auralex with bass trap columns in the corners and diffusors even the ceiling and the floor done..the A7x has only got one subwoofer while the a77x has two..no need for another subwoofer(I got that text from sound on sound by the way) made my mind up now and going with the A77x.. I am only doing dance music nothing else..thanks again! http://youtu.be/tOKwlFPV2MM put this video up so people know what we are talking about!


Edited by martin vegas - 11/10/13 at 5:54am
post #11 of 28
The A7X and A77X do not have subwoofers. They have drivers that extend full range up until where the tweeter kicks in.
post #12 of 28
Thread Starter 

The two 7” woofers are identical with that of the A7X. With their large voice coils (1.5”) and powerful amplifiers, they are capable of both very high maximum sound pressure levels as well as very deep registers. The woofers do not cover the same frequency bands: while both of them are responsible for the (sub-) bass frequencies up to about 400Hz, only one of them reproduces the midrange. This prevents interferences between the two drivers. For stereo setups the A77X is available in A and B versions in order to guarantee a precise stereo image.

post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin vegas View Post

The two 7” woofers are identical with that of the A7X. With their large voice coils (1.5”) and powerful amplifiers, they are capable of both very high maximum sound pressure levels as well as very deep registers. The woofers do not cover the same frequency bands: while both of them are responsible for the (sub-) bass frequencies up to about 400Hz, only one of them reproduces the midrange. This prevents interferences between the two drivers. For stereo setups the A77X is available in A and B versions in order to guarantee a precise stereo image.

You didn't write that: http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/a77x/description

If you are going to copy stuff from other websites, you should let people know where it came from.
post #14 of 28
Those drivers are still not subwoofers. Tower speakers use similar kinds of configurations.
post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


You didn't write that: http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/a77x/description

If you are going to copy stuff from other websites, you should let people know where it came from.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Those drivers are still not subwoofers. Tower speakers use similar kinds of configurations.

From adam audios website yes, tower speakers have woofers built into them aswell ..the a77x have a woofer for the sub bass low and one for mid bass, just like some tower speakers!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: