Hello head-fi~ I've been browsing about for quite some time now and usually have had my questions / buying concerns clearly resolved just by browsing / googling about, but now I'm at a dead end on two things. (Thanks for being so clear by the way; the enlightenment to my hearing has ensured that my car will have that deep gash on the rear left passenger door and that my front spoilers will be held together by duct tape for a little longer now~)
I've recently ordered a FIIO X3 and a set of V-Moda M80s (Which will have a second question dedicated just to them :<). I almost picked up the ibasso dx50, but realized the Fiio would save me some money by also working as an external dac for my comp.
After browsing about for details on the X3, several sources (Which would take too long to track down with my browser history filled with the same sources in sequence for hours), I've come to believe that the X3 does upsample. So.. in hopes that I've made the correct buy:
1) Does the X3 actually upsample? Under what conditions/file formats?
--1.2) I read something along the lines that this player "even plays mp3s well" or something of the sort. Will this player fix my regret for having so many mp3s in my library when I was younger? I've changed addresses several times. Those CDs are gone. It would be nice to upsample these to get some life out of them. If they are enhanced, are they brought up to 96k or 192k?
2) Can you toggle this feature?
3) Is it only from the source or can you also upsample from your computer?
4) I enjoy separation/imaging clarity and soundstage a lot. The ibasso DX50 supposedly creates a larger soundstage with clearer imaging. I'm not going to lose too much, am I? And in regards to question 1.2, assuming mp3s are upsampled, is the stage affected at all? Or am I screwed by the constraints of the source file?
5) Why can't I make changes to my profile yet!?!?!?
--5.2) I already know this answer. :<
Thanks again in advance for your insight, everyone. Hopefully choosing this product over the DX50 for its added perks was not the wrong choice.
Edited by MarcJC - 11/9/13 at 11:33am