or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › £175 budget, headphones mostly for rock, but also want surround sound for some gaming
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

£175 budget, headphones mostly for rock, but also want surround sound for some gaming

Poll Results: Are any of the suggestions below a good combination?

 
  • 33% (1)
    Grado SR60i+ Asus Xonar U7
  • 0% (0)
    ATH-ES700 + Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi surround 5.1 Pro
  • 0% (0)
    SteelSeries Siberia V2
  • 66% (2)
    None of the above, I have posted my suggestion below
3 Total Votes  
post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hey all,

 

I would like some guidance. MY HD555s finally broke due to the infamous 'crack' on the headband. I bought them nearly 3 years ago, so they've been well used and started to show their age.

 

My tastes and interests have also progressed so I am looking for some guidance regarding a new pair of headphones. My requirements are:
 

1. It's to be used on a laptop and a Sansa Clip+

2. Capable of handling 7.1 surround on its own (i.e. has it's own software based sound card that has 3.5mm jacks) OR a combination of a 7.1 external sound card and a pair of headphones

3. Preferably closed headphones, as I do travel on public transport a lot.

4. A total budget of ~£175

 

 

Side notes:

1. The headphones are the important purchase, I don't care if I end up with a cheap 7.1 surround sound card.

2. I am in London, UK.

 

My ideas:

1. Grado SR60i (~£75)+ Asus Xonar U7 (~£75) - getting this out of the way first, as it breaks my requirements, however this combination seems the best theoretical possibility for my budget

2. ATH-ES700 (~£120) + Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi surround 5.1 Pro (~£45)

3. SteelSeries Siberia V2 (with USB Sound Card) - don't want to resort to this. Gaming 'headphones/sets' are usually very very poor.

 

 

I do have a technical question. I've seen some REALLY cheap 7.1 sound cards but they literally have 8 line outs. i.e. an analog 7.1 headphone is required, would a stereo headphone with some 3rd party software still dish out surround sound on external cards like those?

 

 

Thanks!

vikaman

post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikaman View Post
 

I would like some guidance. MY HD555s finally broke due to the infamous 'crack' on the headband. I bought them nearly 3 years ago, so they've been well used and started to show their age.

My tastes and interests have also progressed so I am looking for some guidance regarding a new pair of headphones. My requirements are:
1. It's to be used on a laptop and a Sansa Clip+

2. Capable of handling 7.1 surround on its own (i.e. has it's own software based sound card that has 3.5mm jacks) OR a combination of a 7.1 external sound card and a pair of headphones

3. Preferably closed headphones, as I do travel on public transport a lot.

4. A total budget of ~£175

Side notes:

1. The headphones are the important purchase, I don't care if I end up with a cheap 7.1 surround sound card.

2. I am in London, UK.

My ideas:

1. Grado SR60i (~£75)+ Asus Xonar U7 (~£75) - getting this out of the way first, as it breaks my requirements, however this combination seems the best theoretical possibility for my budget

2. ATH-ES700 (~£120) + Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi surround 5.1 Pro (~£45)

3. SteelSeries Siberia V2 (with USB Sound Card) - don't want to resort to this. Gaming 'headphones/sets' are usually very very poor.

I do have a technical question. I've seen some REALLY cheap 7.1 sound cards but they literally have 8 line outs. i.e. an analog 7.1 headphone is required, would a stereo headphone with some 3rd party software still dish out surround sound on external cards like those?

Would you be gaming while using public transport? or just listening to music?

 

Stereo headphones with an external USB sound card (X-Fi 5.1 Pro) would seem to be the best choice.

post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

Nope. I'll be listening to music while on the move. 

 

Which would be better then? The Grado or the ATH? 

 

Or are there any other options with regards to headphones? I mean, with the X-Fi Pro, I'll have around £120 left.

post #4 of 15
The Grados sound great, but leak way to much for use on public transport.
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 

Thanks. I have only heard good things with the Grado. They're designed for portable devices right? So no need for an amp with my Sansa Clip?

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikaman View Post
 

Thanks. I have only heard good things with the Grado. They're designed for portable devices right? So no need for an amp with my Sansa Clip?


I'm sure at least most (if not all?) Grados are around 32-ohms, so very easy for the Sansa Clip to drive.

Have you looked into installing the Rockbox firmware on to the Clip?

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 


I'm sure at least most (if not all?) Grados are around 32-ohms, so very easy for the Sansa Clip to drive.

Have you looked into installing the Rockbox firmware on to the Clip?

 

AH! I already have that. All my music is ripped from my CD's into flac. So I guess the consensus is Grado + Creative X-Fi/Asus Xonar?

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikaman View Post

AH! I already have that. All my music is ripped from my CD's into flac. So I guess the consensus is Grado + Creative X-Fi/Asus Xonar?

I love my Grados. They work great with the Sansa Clip+. So the answer is easy from my perspective: yes . . . unless you intend to use them on the bus. They don't isolate you at all from your environment; it's almost like not having headphones on at all. For portable use outside of the house in noisy places, the ATH-ES700 would win hands down
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 

Thanks a lot for the guidance guys! 

 

Anyone have any opinions on the ATH-AD700/AD700x? The reason I am asking is that this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-new-Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700X-Open-air-Dynamic-Headphones-/141099474595?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item20da2f1ea3 is asking the same price (£89) as the SR80i here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370936981304 (excluding shipping).

 

I am settling for the Grados unless someone has something else to say regarding the the AD700s.

 

Thanks!


Edited by vikaman - 11/10/13 at 1:32am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikaman View Post
 

Hey all,

 

I would like some guidance. MY HD555s finally broke due to the infamous 'crack' on the headband. I bought them nearly 3 years ago, so they've been well used and started to show their age.

Hello, Sir! I am a pro gamer with a 12 years experience in FPS.

 

I'm kindly asking you to view my option (already bought and happy, having a much lower budget). Feel free to browse my topic:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/689580/overview-review-request-cyber-snipa-sonar-5-1-gaming-headset

 

If you will consider my option has too many cons for the price, just think PLEASE about 1 important thing. 5.1 Headsets are JUST AMAZING for gaming and they need to be taken in count HIGHER than the ordinary headphones/headsets. I just suppose the ordinary ones CANNOT give this kind of sound localization, just because the localization is "capped" by stereo system. They just do not really show sound localization, they emulate it!!!

With that given, I would suggest steelseries V2 OR ANOTHER 5.1 headset. If I've had your budget I would look in a wider price range. I can give you indication, for where to look for options! I took the risk to take Cyber Snipa because I like how their engineers(+price tag) think and I am happy with it.

 

If you agree, you can browse the assortiment in that section using the following link (I AM NOT ASKING/TELLING that you should buy there, just look for stuff):

http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/groups/30000556/pc-headsets.asp?props=30005218%7C10000519,30012287%7C10001675&home=false&props_mastergroup=Falsch&groupid=30000556&navigate=1&props_groupfilter=30000556

AND

http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/groups/30000556/pc-headsets.asp?props=30005218%7C10000519,30012288%7C10001675&home=false&props_mastergroup=Falsch&groupid=30000556&navigate=1&props_groupfilter=30000556

 

Although I do not believe there is difference between 5.1 and 7.1. The localization may be slightly better, but 5.1 is really enough.

 

Thank you very much for the attention!

 

P.S.: In my case, I have dedicated software, so I've got HEADSET-equilazer and each_driver_volume adjustments available - that's how i got really amazing sound. I CAN NOT TELL YOU REGARDING ANY OTHER CHOICE FOR SURE, it depends on the manufacturer!


Edited by MygpuK - 11/10/13 at 2:34am
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 

That sounds interesting. However, I am a bit worried that their website doesn't work at all:
 

http://www.cybersnipa.com/

 

Are they no longer active?

post #12 of 15

i own both ath es700 and ms1i(better than grado sr60i) and i prefer the es700 for rock/metal. its not that i hate the ms1i, its my 2nd fav headphone. i do love the airy sound on them but the mids on the es700 is just better (imo) and i dont have to eq the es700. and i can tell you that both are very bad for gaming due to the lack of soundstage. get the sony mdr ma900. never heard it but but the review is very positive and its great for gaming http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-2-2013-sony-ma900-added

post #13 of 15

oh you wanted a closed back headphone. sorry for that. creative aurvana live ? 

post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohurric4ne View Post
 

i own both ath es700 and ms1i(better than grado sr60i) and i prefer the es700 for rock/metal. its not that i hate the ms1i, its my 2nd fav headphone. i do love the airy sound on them but the mids on the es700 is just better (imo) and i dont have to eq the es700. and i can tell you that both are very bad for gaming due to the lack of soundstage. get the sony mdr ma900. never heard it but but the review is very positive and its great for gaming http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-2-2013-sony-ma900-added

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohurric4ne View Post
 

oh you wanted a closed back headphone. sorry for that. creative aurvana live ? 

 

I prefer a closed back headphone so that I can use it both at home and on the go. But it's becoming clearer to me that I either need two headphones - one for gaming and one for music - OR get a good pair of open headphones (that also 'work' for gaming).

 

Mad Lust's thread seems amazing in detail, I am surprised I didn't come across it during my search. I see that he also likes the ATH-AD700. Would the ATH-AD700x also be considered just as good?

 

The only issue I have with the guidance on that thread is that he uses the MixAmp from Astro. However, I can only connect the Astro to my laptop through a USB cable. Which means I'll only get Stereo output. I am assuming I will need to use the Creative Sound Blaster Recon 3D.

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikaman View Post
 

That sounds interesting. However, I am a bit worried that their website doesn't work at all:
 

http://www.cybersnipa.com/

 

Are they no longer active?

The product is fully compatible up to windows 7 x64 bit, but i cannot confirm surely regarding later versions of windows, please do ask your seller if it is/will be compatible with your operating system.

Thank you.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › £175 budget, headphones mostly for rock, but also want surround sound for some gaming