I'm renting a very old house and a year ago started having buzzing noises in both speakers that I have hooked up to an outlet (power strip in between). I've tried other outlets and get the same buzzing sound no matter if the speakers are hooked up to a sound source or not, and doesn't matter if the strip is in between any outlet. When hooked up to a sound source, moving the volume knob doesn't change the sound level or frequency at all.
It could have been random that they both went faulty and something inside like the caps went bad, or I'm wondering if it could be the houses wiring as well? The thing I'm confused by is that I have connected two power strips to different sides of the same double outlet, one power strip's lights indicate grounded but not protected, the other indicates protected but not grounded. Is this something that could have caused the buzzing speakers?
I just bought some new replacements, but I'm not sure I should even plug them in until I can figure out why each power strips lights are saying something different? Probably should head to Radioshack and get a voltage testing kit as well? I'm a newb with electrical stuff. Please discuss
To add to this, I've only used one of the outlets on that double outlet and have mostly left the other side empty. Except during the winter, once in a while I'll connect a space heater to the other outlet and if I turn the heater anything stronger than low it blows the fuse. It's my understanding that if electronics are supplied with less volts than they need (which sounds like this fuse is not providing enough of) that they'll just start acting funny, but not be ruined. Correct?
Edited by bounc3 - 11/8/13 at 3:39pm