I will buy my husband the new K812 to replace his K702, but what amplifier do they need? He has them plugged into a EMU 0404 USB DAC.
- productAKG K812tagged by System, 11/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- Need help : Screw driver for AKG K812 Last post on 7/4/16 at 12:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed Cans, looking... Last post on 8/6/16 at 9:00pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- List of Good High-end Headphone Stores in Switzerland Last post on 3/24/15 at 6:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K8XX massdrop?! K812 Last post on 1/30/15 at 1:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- My Video Review of the AKG K812 (on SALE in Hong Kong!) Last post on 12/22/14 at 4:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
Bluedio kindly sent me their 8-driver UFO bluetooth headphones in red for review - and boy I’m glad they did. Packaging Like all of their higher priced bluetooth models, the UFO’s come...
First of all, I would like to thank Charles from Shozy for the review sample of Shozy Zero! Website: http://www.shozy-hk.com/zero-earphone/ I believe what makes Shozy Zero unique is...
So I am fairly new to the audio world. The Monoprice 8323 was my second purchase on starting to get into headphones (after Superlux HD681 EVOs). I have had these headphones for about 6 months...
LEAR LHF-AE1d Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to LEAR for the sample. Brief: All of da pretty and they sound just as good too! Price: HK$1488 or atm £146 or...
The Edifier MP700 Rave Introduction Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Christmas gift for husband - AKG K812 with what amplifier?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Lovely. Yet, not that many people here own the K812 as of now, so it's hard to tell which amplifier will pair well. I say get the K812 and wait on the amplifier until there are more experienced users that tried multiple amps.
Audio-GD NFB-15.32, DAC/Amp, $255+shipping
Audio-GD NFB-11.32, DAC/Amp, $339+shipping
The 15.32 is more musical & smooth
The 11.32 is a little more detailed
Agree'd the Audio GD Amp Dac como units are very nice, either one should work very nice depending on his tastes! Then once more experinced users get a chance to pair the K812 with a nice'r I suppose a nice Birth Day gift would be a higher end Amp.
The Audio GD amps have a DAC line out as well. which will par with the sub sequant new amp purchase. Or if he likes the Audio GD unit he has, audio Gd it self sells better versisions of the low end amp dac units.
If your husband is very into the audiophile "thing", then he might have a very specific idea about what sound he wants. That said it seems likely that the K812 will be a very good pair of allround headphones even though only a few have heard it so far.
As for pairing it with an amplifier I concur with kimvictor that it might be a good idea to wait for further reviews; especially since the K812 has low impedance but high sensitivity, possibly demanding something different from the amp than many other high end headphones. As far as I can see (I haven't heard it personally) the E-MU 0404 has both a headphone amp and a dac, so why not try out that in themeantime?
So far the previews state that the k812 sounds good off even reasonably low end amps, however, it may scale well with high end ones. If a better amp is wanted he probably wants a better DAC unit also, since I presume (again, I havent heard the E-MU 0404) that this ~150$ all in one unit is significantly less quality than what the K812 will be able to bring to the table.
Cost and performance of DAC's and amps can vary greatly - often many times the cost of the headphones themselves. High-end amp bets could be the blue hawaii (tubes) or the SPL Phonitor (transistor) and the Lehmann linear was used for the K812 press introduction, so maybe another good bet ig high-end is wanted. As for DAC's I would point towards the NAD M51 for a solid performer, but again there are many options. Seperates allow for easier future upgrades, however, if he wants a small table top unit he might prefer a combined DAC/Amp. Depending on his needs/wishes there is a massive amount of other options to fit any taste and wallet, some good ones already mentioned which might very well be satisfactory for a long time. Note that some products may be harder to get than others (ordering from overseas etc.). Another entry level option could be the NAD D1050 DAC/amp, which could be a good/innovative table-top starter product.
Good luck - I'm sure your husband will be very happy with the new AKG.
the best Brother FOR the akg k812 is the SPL phonitor or in two weeks the New flagship from SPL!regards nomax
Nomax rocks! Thanks for the info :)
Might want to wait until early December before ordering whatever you get.
I would assume most places are very liberal with their return policy right after Christmas, for electronics.
but try to plan out to be able to return with in 30 days.
Otherwise they might only offer store credit, instead of a refund.
I understand that you want to buy K812 for your husband, that is fine but if you do not know much about amplifiers, which judging by your question seems to be so, then let him decide what he needs. I assume that he has better knowledge regarding amplifiers. Your decision to buy some amplifier might be wrong one and not to his need or liking. Just give him the headphones and some intimacy in place of an amplifier.
- Christmas gift for husband - AKG K812 with what amplifier?
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 5 seconds ago
- › MicroZOTL2 Upgrade Discovery Thread..... 17 seconds ago
- › Smyth Research Realiser A16 25 seconds ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 57 seconds ago
- › Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › New DAPs from HIFIMAN: HM802s and SuperMini [updated 2015-12-12] 5 minutes ago
- › AURISONICS ASG 2.0 FROSTED 5 minutes ago
- › Macbook Pro Late 2013 DAC - Question 5 minutes ago
- › Chesky Vocalists Comparison: Sara K & Alexis Cole 6 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › Bluedio U (UFO) PPS 8 Drivers Over-ear Bluetooth Wireless Headphone... by Peddler
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by earfonia
- › Monoprice Premium 8323 Hi-Fi DJ Style Over-the-Ear Pro Headphone by 93EXCivic
- › LEAR LHF-AE1d hybrid fit earphones by mark2410
- › Edifier Rave MP700 by dnun8086
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Brooko
- › Edifier P220 In-Ear Chrome Design Headphones With Microphone - Blue by Hisoundfi
- › EasGear Morul U5 Waterproof Wireless Earbuds by James Mash
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by Pastapipo
- › YHC S600 by B9Scrambler
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...