I will buy my husband the new K812 to replace his K702, but what amplifier do they need? He has them plugged into a EMU 0404 USB DAC.
- productAKG K812tagged by System, 11/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- Closed Cans, looking... Last post on 8/15/15 at 3:08pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- List of Good High-end Headphone Stores in Switzerland Last post on 3/24/15 at 6:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K8XX massdrop?! K812 Last post on 1/30/15 at 1:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- My Video Review of the AKG K812 (on SALE in Hong Kong!) Last post on 12/22/14 at 4:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- COMPARISON / REVIEW: A tale of two flagships (part deux) – Beyerdynamic T1 vs AKG K812 Last post on 12/30/14 at 1:54am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
Introduction: There seems to be quite a bit of discussion and disagreements regarding HIFIMAN’s (HFM) newest headphone, the HE400S. Some have praised the HE400S as being a giant slayer while other...
Brainwavz needs no introduction. They have been in the IEM market long enough that they have made a name for themselves, especially in the bang-for-bucks section. The S5 has been in the market for...
I would like to start by saying thank you to Penon Audio for letting me check out the SHOZY Lancea. The Lacea was sent to me in exchange for my honest opinion of it. The SHOZY Lancea is available...
Fidelio X2 is a really nice headphone at this price point. I paid only 190 USD for a new pair and cannot be more happy with the purchase. X2 sounds very open and has an airy soundstage. Still the...
At the time this review was written the Cayin C5DAC was on sale at Penon Audio for $215.00 USD. Here is a link to their...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Christmas gift for husband - AKG K812 with what amplifier?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Lovely. Yet, not that many people here own the K812 as of now, so it's hard to tell which amplifier will pair well. I say get the K812 and wait on the amplifier until there are more experienced users that tried multiple amps.
Audio-GD NFB-15.32, DAC/Amp, $255+shipping
Audio-GD NFB-11.32, DAC/Amp, $339+shipping
The 15.32 is more musical & smooth
The 11.32 is a little more detailed
Agree'd the Audio GD Amp Dac como units are very nice, either one should work very nice depending on his tastes! Then once more experinced users get a chance to pair the K812 with a nice'r I suppose a nice Birth Day gift would be a higher end Amp.
The Audio GD amps have a DAC line out as well. which will par with the sub sequant new amp purchase. Or if he likes the Audio GD unit he has, audio Gd it self sells better versisions of the low end amp dac units.
If your husband is very into the audiophile "thing", then he might have a very specific idea about what sound he wants. That said it seems likely that the K812 will be a very good pair of allround headphones even though only a few have heard it so far.
As for pairing it with an amplifier I concur with kimvictor that it might be a good idea to wait for further reviews; especially since the K812 has low impedance but high sensitivity, possibly demanding something different from the amp than many other high end headphones. As far as I can see (I haven't heard it personally) the E-MU 0404 has both a headphone amp and a dac, so why not try out that in themeantime?
So far the previews state that the k812 sounds good off even reasonably low end amps, however, it may scale well with high end ones. If a better amp is wanted he probably wants a better DAC unit also, since I presume (again, I havent heard the E-MU 0404) that this ~150$ all in one unit is significantly less quality than what the K812 will be able to bring to the table.
Cost and performance of DAC's and amps can vary greatly - often many times the cost of the headphones themselves. High-end amp bets could be the blue hawaii (tubes) or the SPL Phonitor (transistor) and the Lehmann linear was used for the K812 press introduction, so maybe another good bet ig high-end is wanted. As for DAC's I would point towards the NAD M51 for a solid performer, but again there are many options. Seperates allow for easier future upgrades, however, if he wants a small table top unit he might prefer a combined DAC/Amp. Depending on his needs/wishes there is a massive amount of other options to fit any taste and wallet, some good ones already mentioned which might very well be satisfactory for a long time. Note that some products may be harder to get than others (ordering from overseas etc.). Another entry level option could be the NAD D1050 DAC/amp, which could be a good/innovative table-top starter product.
Good luck - I'm sure your husband will be very happy with the new AKG.
the best Brother FOR the akg k812 is the SPL phonitor or in two weeks the New flagship from SPL!regards nomax
Nomax rocks! Thanks for the info :)
Might want to wait until early December before ordering whatever you get.
I would assume most places are very liberal with their return policy right after Christmas, for electronics.
but try to plan out to be able to return with in 30 days.
Otherwise they might only offer store credit, instead of a refund.
I understand that you want to buy K812 for your husband, that is fine but if you do not know much about amplifiers, which judging by your question seems to be so, then let him decide what he needs. I assume that he has better knowledge regarding amplifiers. Your decision to buy some amplifier might be wrong one and not to his need or liking. Just give him the headphones and some intimacy in place of an amplifier.
- Christmas gift for husband - AKG K812 with what amplifier?
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 9 seconds ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 29 seconds ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 38 seconds ago
- › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC 57 seconds ago
- › Almi's Logitech Z-5500 Mod (High-End upgrade for the speaker system) 1 minute ago
- › Review of Audioquest JitterBug - USB Data & Power Noise Filter. 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD540 headphones available 1 minute ago
- › Galaxy Note 5 Audio Quality 2 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 - Hybrid (1DD + 1BA) IEM - Impressions and discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Hisoundfi
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2