I will buy my husband the new K812 to replace his K702, but what amplifier do they need? He has them plugged into a EMU 0404 USB DAC.
- productAKG K812tagged by System, 11/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- Need help : Screw driver for AKG K812 Last post on 7/4/16 at 12:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed Cans, looking... Last post on 8/6/16 at 9:00pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- List of Good High-end Headphone Stores in Switzerland Last post on 2/24/17 at 10:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K8XX massdrop?! K812 Last post on 1/30/15 at 1:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- My Video Review of the AKG K812 (on SALE in Hong Kong!) Last post on 12/22/14 at 4:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
So I got the chance to try out the Aune M1S, and to my Surprise it was way more than I had anticipated or expected. My first impressions was an absolute shock! This thing punches way above it...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be taking a look at the Paco, a compact, attractive, and smartly priced earphone in Fischer Audio's Totem series of products. Fischer Audio isn't new to the...
Overview I purchased these when they first came out during Black Friday in 2016, when they were on sale for $100 CAD. Until these I had mostly spent all of my money on IEMs since they're a lot...
INTRODUCTION Pioneer really surprised me with the new release of the DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones. I've recently tried out seven headphones that are considered high end and...
The nice thing about being last on the tour is that I have the benefit of completely broken in equipment. The new smell and feel is gone. Gone through many miles and air flights, and USPS trucks...
Christmas gift for husband - AKG K812 with what amplifier?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Lovely. Yet, not that many people here own the K812 as of now, so it's hard to tell which amplifier will pair well. I say get the K812 and wait on the amplifier until there are more experienced users that tried multiple amps.
Audio-GD NFB-15.32, DAC/Amp, $255+shipping
Audio-GD NFB-11.32, DAC/Amp, $339+shipping
The 15.32 is more musical & smooth
The 11.32 is a little more detailed
Agree'd the Audio GD Amp Dac como units are very nice, either one should work very nice depending on his tastes! Then once more experinced users get a chance to pair the K812 with a nice'r I suppose a nice Birth Day gift would be a higher end Amp.
The Audio GD amps have a DAC line out as well. which will par with the sub sequant new amp purchase. Or if he likes the Audio GD unit he has, audio Gd it self sells better versisions of the low end amp dac units.
If your husband is very into the audiophile "thing", then he might have a very specific idea about what sound he wants. That said it seems likely that the K812 will be a very good pair of allround headphones even though only a few have heard it so far.
As for pairing it with an amplifier I concur with kimvictor that it might be a good idea to wait for further reviews; especially since the K812 has low impedance but high sensitivity, possibly demanding something different from the amp than many other high end headphones. As far as I can see (I haven't heard it personally) the E-MU 0404 has both a headphone amp and a dac, so why not try out that in themeantime?
So far the previews state that the k812 sounds good off even reasonably low end amps, however, it may scale well with high end ones. If a better amp is wanted he probably wants a better DAC unit also, since I presume (again, I havent heard the E-MU 0404) that this ~150$ all in one unit is significantly less quality than what the K812 will be able to bring to the table.
Cost and performance of DAC's and amps can vary greatly - often many times the cost of the headphones themselves. High-end amp bets could be the blue hawaii (tubes) or the SPL Phonitor (transistor) and the Lehmann linear was used for the K812 press introduction, so maybe another good bet ig high-end is wanted. As for DAC's I would point towards the NAD M51 for a solid performer, but again there are many options. Seperates allow for easier future upgrades, however, if he wants a small table top unit he might prefer a combined DAC/Amp. Depending on his needs/wishes there is a massive amount of other options to fit any taste and wallet, some good ones already mentioned which might very well be satisfactory for a long time. Note that some products may be harder to get than others (ordering from overseas etc.). Another entry level option could be the NAD D1050 DAC/amp, which could be a good/innovative table-top starter product.
Good luck - I'm sure your husband will be very happy with the new AKG.
the best Brother FOR the akg k812 is the SPL phonitor or in two weeks the New flagship from SPL!regards nomax
Nomax rocks! Thanks for the info :)
Might want to wait until early December before ordering whatever you get.
I would assume most places are very liberal with their return policy right after Christmas, for electronics.
but try to plan out to be able to return with in 30 days.
Otherwise they might only offer store credit, instead of a refund.
I understand that you want to buy K812 for your husband, that is fine but if you do not know much about amplifiers, which judging by your question seems to be so, then let him decide what he needs. I assume that he has better knowledge regarding amplifiers. Your decision to buy some amplifier might be wrong one and not to his need or liking. Just give him the headphones and some intimacy in place of an amplifier.
- Christmas gift for husband - AKG K812 with what amplifier?
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 47 seconds ago
- › Null Audio 1x Vitesse Cryo 7N CGOCC-A Pure Copper / Focal Utopia 1 minute ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 1 minute ago
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 6 minutes ago
- › Headphone upgrade that pounds - upgrade from Philips X2 7 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - Newer Thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 7 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi In-Ear Headphones Pro HD (2 +1 Hybrid) 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by ngoshawk
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by ngoshawk
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by kevingzw
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by crabdog
- › PSB M4U 1 by JoshG1217
- › Cayin i5 by daduy
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear