or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Mini-REVIEW: MOE Audio SS01 (WARNING: Tongue-In-Cheek and Tacky)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mini-REVIEW: MOE Audio SS01 (WARNING: Tongue-In-Cheek and Tacky) - Page 2

post #16 of 72

It is quite interesting.

When it first came to our eyes, it is a gift for those who bought FXZ-200 from MOE-Audio.

The company post a post about their status as a new audio company on Headphone Forum of Baidu Tieba, and everybody thought that they were just DIY products, a unsuccessful try.

Then the company went out of our sight for a couple months. I didn't even know the SS01 went into mass production, though I visit headphone forums everyday. 

There are a lot of new headphone brands coming out in China recently---Fidue, Ostry, and MOE-Audio. They may provide quite interesting products: Fidue has titanium dynamic drivers, Ostry has products with metal housing and great build quality for about $50, and MOE-Audio has dual dynamic drivers. Anyway the market is being fun recently.

post #17 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzljh96 View Post
 

It is quite interesting.

When it first came to our eyes, it is a gift for those who bought FXZ-200 from MOE-Audio.

The company post a post about their status as a new audio company on Headphone Forum of Baidu Tieba, and everybody thought that they were just DIY products, a unsuccessful try.

Then the company went out of our sight for a couple months. I didn't even know the SS01 went into mass production, though I visit headphone forums everyday. 

There are a lot of new headphone brands coming out in China recently---Fidue, Ostry, and MOE-Audio. They may provide quite interesting products: Fidue has titanium dynamic drivers, Ostry has products with metal housing and great build quality for about $50, and MOE-Audio has dual dynamic drivers. Anyway the market is being fun recently.

 

Cool insights --- I presume that you frequent Chinese headphone forums?

 


 

The SS01 was a pleasure to try out. I only wish I had a FXT90 on me to directly A/B. My sample of the SS01 is going out to another head-fier who does own the FXT90, and can do an in-depth comparison.

post #18 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

Cool insights --- I presume that you frequent Chinese headphone forums?

The SS01 was a pleasure to try out. I only wish I had a FXT90 on me to directly A/B. My sample of the SS01 is going out to another head-fier who does own the FXT90, and can do an in-depth comparison.
Yup I am a Chinese. A lot of interesting things are coming out or going to come out, just like the Vsonic VSD9 and Astrotec AX60(it's hybrid). Those companies in China are making really good and cheap earphones now, so I am not surprised that SS01s are good. I think the SS01s are actually made for anime lovers, which its name supposed. A ATH-like sound will make it more successful for those people.
However the company should really fire the designer who designed the appearence. It made SS01 looks cheap.
post #19 of 72

How lucky is this, my Taobao order for the Moe couldn't be filled, but they just came in at one of my favorite ebay sellers:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOE-SS01-Twin-Driver-System-High-Fidelity-Stereo-Inner-Ear-Earphones-/291012327126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item43c1afb6d6

 

Order placed.


Edited by bhazard - 11/9/13 at 6:54pm
post #20 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post
 

Too bad I already placed the order. One of my favorite ebay sellers just got the Moe in.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOE-SS01-Twin-Driver-System-High-Fidelity-Stereo-Inner-Ear-Earphones-/291012327126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item43c1afb6d6

 

Thanks. They might be some of the weirdest looking iem's I've seen. But knowing what I now know about Moe, I am very interested in them.

post #21 of 72
Thread Starter 

I want to add one thing --- I didn't get the chance to A/B the SS01 directly against the FXT90, so I don't know what the sonic differences are. I can only say that I did not remember being this thoroughly impressed by the FXT90. The SS01 definitely feels cleaner and less grainy. Whether this means that my sonic memory is completely shot, or that I've gone deaf since the last time I heard the FXT90, I don't know. I can say, though, that I thought the FXZs were crap, and the SS01 definitely feels like a well-balanced earphone.

 

However, I did find this picture on the web:

 

While I have no idea whether or not that is the final FR curve of the SS01, it does look hauntingly similar to the FR of the FXT90 (here and here). While really hope that the SS01 does indeed use a newer generation of micro drivers, at least, there is the chance that it sounds extremely similar to the FXT90 and that I'm just plain stupid.

 

Tyll comes to the rescue! Measurements of the SS01: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MOESS01.pdf

Looks better to me! Thank you for making me sound so smart! I could kiss you, Mr. Hertsens! Back to hype and hyperbole! :tongue_smile:

 

Quick Photoshop Work:

In all seriousness, there are similarities. The resonance points are quite similar (though some of them may be artifacts of the HATS), but the apparent difference is a noticeable improvement on the bass driver. It's no longer overly mid-bassy, and gets rid of lower midrange "bloat". InnerFidelity doesn't do CSD plots, but this plot alone can account for improved transparency. I didn't composite them together, but impulse and square wave plots look tighter too.

 

So, the only way to settle this is to have someone who owns the FXT90 compare the two. When I get an opportunity (in the next few days), I'm sending the SS01 over to jgray91, who will hopefully do an in-depth comparison between the two, so perhaps everyone should hold your horses 'til then. After all, the FXT90 is heavily discounted these days and is basically the same price as the SS01, giving it at least an aesthetic advantage over the SS01. However, let's hope for all our sakes (and MOE Audio's) that the SS01 at least sounds distinct from MOE/Aipon's two year-old OEM product...

 

I apologize if my capricious and half-hearted attempt at a review got everyone giddy (never trust a review written without revisions).


Edited by tomscy2000 - 11/10/13 at 6:42am
post #22 of 72
Oh my, it seems I have quite some work ahead of me... FOR SCIENCE!
post #23 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post  Oh my, it seems I have quite some work ahead of me... FOR SCIENCE!

 

Anyway, this cake is great. It's so delicious and moist. Look at me still talking when there's science to do. When I look out there, it makes me GLaD I'm not you. I've experiments to run. There is research to be done.

post #24 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

  Oh my, it seems I have quite some work ahead of me... FOR SCIENCE!

Anyway, this cake is great. It's so delicious and moist. Look at me still talking when there's science to do. When I look out there, it makes me GLaD I'm not you. I've experiments to run. There is research to be done.

I am fully obligated to end my review with Portal reference one way or another!

I'm doing Science and I'm still alive.
I feel FANTASTIC and I'm still alive.
post #25 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 

 

Tyll comes to the rescue! Measurements of the SS01: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MOESS01.pdf

Looks better to me! Thank you for making me sound so smart! I could kiss you, Mr. Hertsens! Back to hype and hyperbole! :tongue_smile:

 

Quick Photoshop Work:

In all seriousness, there are similarities. The resonance points are quite similar (though some of them may be artifacts of the HATS), but the apparent difference is a noticeable improvement on the bass driver. It's no longer overly mid-bassy, and gets rid of lower midrange "bloat". InnerFidelity doesn't do CSD plots, but this plot alone can account for improved transparency. I didn't composite them together, but impulse and square wave plots look tighter too.

 

The 30hz square wave response looks a bit odd though. Maybe Tyll didn't seal properly the right earpiece. As far as that mid-range "bloat" I'm not so sure coz the SS01 looks a bit more laid back in comparison to the fxt90 and the fxt90 clearly has a lot better bass control and tightness despite the mid-bass hump. I still might have to pick a pair to try it - if only it wasn't so ugly :deadhorse:. I don't know who designed it but they did a bad job.

post #26 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kova4a View Post  The 30hz square wave response looks a bit odd though. Maybe Tyll didn't seal properly the right earpiece. As far as that mid-range "bloat" I'm not so sure coz the SS01 looks a bit more laid back in comparison to the fxt90 and the fxt90 clearly has a lot better bass control and tightness despite the mid-bass hump.

 

Are you and I looking at the same measurements? Side by side:

 

 

I don't see how the FXT90's bass has much better control and tightness. If we discount the weird shape of the right side's 30 Hz square wave, the time course of the initial hump is about the same in both models, while the FXT90 rolls off more. CSD plots would be more revealing in this regard, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say that the FXT90 is only slightly tighter, and that might not be enough to overcome the FR differences. As for the 300 Hz square wave, I see more ringing going on with the FXT90, though it's not that bad.

post #27 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 

 

Are you and I looking at the same measurements? Side by side:

 

 

I don't see how the FXT90's bass has much better control and tightness. If we discount the weird shape of the right side's 30 Hz square wave, the time course of the initial hump is about the same in both models, while the FXT90 rolls off more. CSD plots would be more revealing in this regard, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say that the FXT90 is only slightly tighter, and that might not be enough to overcome the FR differences. As for the 300 Hz square wave, I see more ringing going on with the FXT90, though it's not that bad.

Well, it's not hard to deduct it given that it's obviously faster despite that mid-bass bloat 

post #28 of 72

I'm just kinda excited that it hits 10hz flat. The basshead in me will be satisfied.


Edited by bhazard - 11/10/13 at 9:52am
post #29 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 

 

Are you and I looking at the same measurements? Side by side:

 

 

I don't see how the FXT90's bass has much better control and tightness. If we discount the weird shape of the right side's 30 Hz square wave, the time course of the initial hump is about the same in both models, while the FXT90 rolls off more. CSD plots would be more revealing in this regard, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say that the FXT90 is only slightly tighter, and that might not be enough to overcome the FR differences. As for the 300 Hz square wave, I see more ringing going on with the FXT90, though it's not that bad.

 

Isn't the FR and square wave responses the same information anyway?

If we had a perfectly flat FR from 1000 Hz to 10 Hz we would get a perfect 30 Hz square wave response and vice versa.

So if we already have a FR then square wave responses are redundant information.

 

Right?

post #30 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffeemann View Post
 

 

Isn't the FR and square wave responses the same information anyway?

If we had a perfectly flat FR from 1000 Hz to 10 Hz we would get a perfect 30 Hz square wave response and vice versa.

So if we already have a FR then square wave responses are redundant information.

 

Right?

No, FR don't tell you phase response.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Mini-REVIEW: MOE Audio SS01 (WARNING: Tongue-In-Cheek and Tacky)