Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Home Headphones! AKG K550 vs HD598 vs HD558
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Home Headphones! AKG K550 vs HD598 vs HD558

Poll Results: Wich is the best? :) (Please keep in mind my needs please...)

 
  • 35% (11)
    Sennheiser HD598
  • 16% (5)
    Sennheiser HD558
  • 48% (15)
    AKG K550
31 Total Votes  
post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

Hi guys...

 

I want to buy a headphone for home use since i already have the momentums for outside use (i am thinking of trading them for the amperiors but thats another story... XD )

 

I can only spend 150 euros and the are my options:

 

AKG K550

 

Sennheiser HD598

 

Sennheiser HD558

 

I listen to pretty much everything but i mainly listen to pop, indie, rock, house, progressive and trance....

From Bon Iver to Grizzly Bear, from Coldplay to Lana Del rey, from Artic Monkeys to Biffy Clyro, from the deepest edm to 138 bpm trance and above....

 

So wich one is better in terms of sound and technicalities (resolution, etc...)?

 

Any of them will match or even be better than the sennheiser momentums?

 

What do you guys think will be the best and more enjoyable option for me?

 

Cheers... :)

post #2 of 28

What sources are you plugging the headphones into?

post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

What sources are you plugging the headphones into?

Only a 4th generation ipod touch. I have no amps... at least for now... but even if i get one it would be something cheap like a fiio e11.

 

By the way... here are the best prices i can get for the headphones i picked....

 

AKG 140 euros new or 105 euros used (shipping already included)

 

Sennheiser hd598 170 euros new 

 

Sennheiser hd558 135 new and 90 euros used

 

Taking a look at the prices.... once again wich do you guys think is the best (sq, resolution...)? And for the money, wich is the best bang for buck? :)


Edited by Pedro Oliveira - 11/5/13 at 5:48pm
post #4 of 28
.
Edited by derbigpr - 11/5/13 at 6:45pm
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Oliveira View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

What sources are you plugging the headphones into?

Only a 4th generation ipod touch. I have no amps... at least for now... but even if i get one it would be something cheap like a fiio e11.

 

By the way... here are the best prices i can get for the headphones i picked....

 

AKG 140 euros new or 105 euros used (shipping already included)

 

Sennheiser hd598 170 euros new 

 

Sennheiser hd558 135 new and 90 euros used

 

Taking a look at the prices.... once again wich do you guys think is the best (sq, resolution...)? And for the money, wich is the best bang for buck? :)





If you have no amp, then go for K550, its a better choice. HD558 or HD598 really are no good without an amp, weak bass, stiff dry sound....

Also, K550 is better overall. Its a higher league headphone, clearly, regardless of sound preferances. I'd pretty much put it on a level with K701 or Q701 in terms of resolution, detail, etc.
Edited by derbigpr - 11/5/13 at 6:44pm
post #6 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbigpr View Post

If you have no amp, then go for K550, its a better choice. HD558 or HD598 really are no good without an amp, weak bass, stiff dry sound....

Also, K550 is better overall. Its a higher league headphone, clearly, regardless of sound preferances. I'd pretty much put it on a level with K701 or Q701 in terms of resolution, detail, etc.

And the k550 will do the musical genres i mentioned better than the other 2?
post #7 of 28
These sorts of headphones will be disappointing with an iPod Touch 4G. The touch like most portable mainstream players is optimised for IEM listening. Even if I use an amplifier my 4G is not great with my Sennheiser HD595s. A different source will give better results for home use like HM601, Fiio X3, Ibasso DX50 or iPod Classic 5G although these players will have many compromises compared with an iPod Touch.
post #8 of 28
The K550 is the better headphone but it may not have enough bass for your genres. I am not sure the other 2 will work out for you any better. You might be better sticking with your Momentums and saving your money to get either an amp next or go for a more expensive headphone.
post #9 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

The K550 is the better headphone but it may not have enough bass for your genres. I am not sure the other 2 will work out for you any better. You might be better sticking with your Momentums and saving your money to get either an amp next or go for a more expensive headphone.

The k550 is technicaly and sonically better than both the senns?

 

In terms of resolution are they on par with the momentums?

 

At 100 euros they are a steal no?

 

About the hd558.... the difference to the hd598 is very noticeable to the point of dropping 70 euros more?

post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Oliveira View Post
 

The k550 is technically and sonically better than both the Senns?

In terms of resolution are they on par with the Momentums?

At 100 euros they are a steal no?

About the hd558.... the difference to the hd598 is very noticeable to the point of dropping 70 euros more?

The HD558 and HD598 use the same driver, just different cup designs.

The iPod should be a little better at driving the (32-Ohm) K550s, over the (50-Ohm) HD558/HD598.

K550s are a 100 Euros is a great price, I paid 133 Euros ($180) for my refurb K550s.

post #11 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

The HD558 and HD598 use the same driver, just different cup designs.

The iPod should be a little better at driving the (32-Ohm) K550s, over the (50-Ohm) HD558/HD598.

K550s are a 100 Euros is a great price, I paid 133 Euros ($180) for my refurb K550s.

I can get the k550's for 135 new on amazon. I also know of 2 used units for sale. 1 in like new condition at 110 and other at very good condition at 106.

The hd558's cost 135 new but i know a guy who is selling a pair in mint condition for 95 euros.

 

So in terms of bang for back wich one? :)

 

My recent headphones have been, the m50's the cal!'s and the momentums by the way... right now i only have the cal's and the momentums but i am thinking of trading the moementums for a pair of amperiors maybe. I love the sound of them but the fit is not vary good....

 

Right now i already pretty much gave up on the HD598's because i can only get them for 170 euros new and right now i also have a ps3 to fix and a gta5 to buy.... XD


Edited by Pedro Oliveira - 11/6/13 at 5:33am
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Oliveira View Post

I can get the k550's for 135 new on amazon. I also know of 2 used units for sale. 1 in like new condition at 110 and other at very good condition at 106.
The hd558's cost 135 new but i know a guy who is selling a pair in mint condition for 95 euros.

So in terms of bang for back wich one? smily_headphones1.gif

My recent headphones have been, the m50's the cal!'s and the momentums by the way... right now i only have the cal's and the momentums but i am thinking of trading the moementums for a pair of amperiors maybe. I love the sound of them but the fit is not vary good....

Right now i already pretty much gave up on the HD598's because i can only get them for 170 euros new and right now i also have a ps3 to fix and a gta5 to buy.... XD

Just get the AKG K550 + FiiO E07K... tongue.gif they both sound excellent together...

Billson smily_headphones1.gif
post #13 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

Just get the AKG K550 + FiiO E07K... tongue.gif they both sound excellent together...



Billson smily_headphones1.gif

You tried the senns billson?
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Oliveira View Post

You tried the senns billson?

HD598, yes. I like the K550 better thought xD
post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post


HD598, yes. I like the K550 better thought xD

Why did you prefer the k550 to the hd598s? What types of music do you like by the way...? :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Home Headphones! AKG K550 vs HD598 vs HD558