Hey guys. Long time reader, first time poster. I have had my Sennheiser HD 600s for a few years now. Before that, I only had the budget for headphones that were less than $100. HD 600s broke my bank and for these years I haven't really had a budget for new audio equipment (can you tell I can't support an audiophile hobby yet?). Nonetheless, I've scrapped some funds together and decided I should try to help my HD600s reach more of their potential. I cannot go above 500 dollars (including tubes, other necessary accessories, shipping, etc.) and I know that greatly limits my options. I have been taking a look at MP-301 MK3 2013 Deluxe and Schiit Valhalla. I have been reading reviews to try to get a clear picture of what is best for me but I am still unsure because of where HD 600s lie in the impedance spectrum. If anyone could tell me what they think would be best that would be great! I will also consider any other recommendations you might have. Thanks a lot in advance for any help you can give to this newbie. I hope in a few years I will be able to make a much more substantial upgrade ;).
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 11/5/13
Related Forum Threads
- Can the Audioquest DragonFly Red drive a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's from an iPhone? Last post on 6/17/16 at 4:50pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 1/11/17 at 5:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need A Middle Ground Last post on 6/3/15 at 10:39am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Fostex TH500RP Last post on 6/20/16 at 7:40am in Headphones (full-size)
- Repair or replace broken HD600? Last post on 3/11/15 at 10:01am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
These headphones are much recommended online as a relatively cheap introduction into the world of high fidelity. They are functional and do not excessively grab attention visually. They are...
A very good DAC and headphone AMP for the price. A clear improvement in sound quality from my laptop for headphones, even ones that already sounded good, this gives a much cleaner,clearer and more...
This is my first really good quality Digital Audio Player. I have used a range of Audiophile headphones on it. If you're used to digital Sony Walkmans of days gone by you will recognize the simple,...
My favorite pair of headphones, and considering I own the Sennheiser HD598s, that is saying something. They look fantastic, very stylish indeed, they are extremely comfortable, infact the ear pads...
These are okay headphones if you can get them for a cheap price (sub £90 ) but probably aren't worth any more than that. Their build quality is solid, despite all the plastic used, and they can be...
Need help picking an amp for my HD 600s
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Do you have a dac already? If not, I would recommend the NFB-11.32 by audio-gd. It is a dac, amp and pre-amp combo. I have the nfb-10es2, which is the balanced version of it, along with the hd600s. A friend of mine has the 11.32 though, and I've tried it out.
The dac is a pretty important part of the chain, right after the amp. Your computer, laptop, cd player, etc already have build in dacs but generally they do not perform well, especially compared to external dacs.
That being said, the es9018 dac chip is very well respected and the nfb-11.32 is pretty much the cheapest way to get a hold of the chip. The implementation of the chip is very well done as well. Plus you'll have leftover money to spend on food or something :D
Low costing DAC chips are in a lots of stuff (smart phones, computers, mp3 players, etc.)
The idea on Head-fi is to get a good quality DAC.
You can buy a separate DAC and Amp or a combo all in one unit.
I just got the Audio-GD NFB 15.32 DAC/Amp ($255+shipping)
It's a slightly lower costing version of the11.32 ($339+shipping)
These DAC/Amp combos will easily drive your 300-Ohm Sennheiser headphones.
And will make them sound nice.
I guess i'm a huge fan of Schitt audio!! because there quality and price!!!
should go for modi and loki combo? I think its great price!! and it can drive Senn headphones.
Schitt gets a lotta love, and they're good units at good price. When you envision what you want, Head-Fi's classified ads carry a lot of good stuff, usually good condition and less money.
Because of the "upgradeitis"
- Need help picking an amp for my HD 600s
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 23 seconds ago
- › Venture Electronics VE Zen 2.0 impressions and discussion thread 47 seconds ago
- › HD600 - on Creative SB X-Fi sound card. 3 minutes ago
- › Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Pioneer XDP-300R DAP - Dual ES9018K2M, Balanced Out, Android 5.1,... 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones) 5 minutes ago
- › Bose quiet comfort 35 VS AKG k553 pro VS Sony MDR 1000x or... 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 6 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 8 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black) by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 449 Headphones by theminstrel
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by FortisFlyer75
- › AXGIO Dash Wireless Earbuds Cordless Running Jogging Bluetooth... by pkshiu
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by heliosphann
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear