Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Nexus 5 Sound Quality?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nexus 5 Sound Quality? - Page 8

post #106 of 191

Greetings Head-fi'ers ! This should mark my first post . Please excuse my sounding a complete noob. :) Off to my query . What do you people think the N5 sound is in comparison to an ipod touch ? 4g ? Because none of my devices , Neither android nor wp quite stack up against my iPod playing alac. Carrying two devices is starting to become a pain and I'm really keen on the N5. But it's a no go from me until I get to know how well it sounds from you experts .I plan to use it with my sound magic E10m IEMs. And sennheiser HD-203 cans driven by my selfmade Headphone amp if need be . Appreciating the help. cheers !

post #107 of 191
I've never received a straight answer to this, but I have always been under the impression that the ipod touch, iphone etc can play 24/96 flac/alac but it is downsampled to 24/44 due to limitations with ios.But the nexus 5 doesn't downsample. I think it sounds pretty good, a little too quiet, but that could be because I'm using headphones rather than iems. I need to turn it up a bit more.
post #108 of 191
Appreciate the reply sir. So its not loud enough ? Can you confirm with a pair of iems ? Is the sound quality up there with the apple devices ?

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk
post #109 of 191
Suddenly starting to gain interest in the galaxy s4. The one we have here is the one with the exynos processor so most prolly has a wolfson dac. Anyone having experience with it ?

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk.
post #110 of 191

Nexus 5 sound quality is downright awful.

 

Compared to anything. My laptop, my iPhone 4s, name it. Haven't bothered trying other Android devices.

 

I don't get why anyone would praise the phone as a good source. I'm now wishing I got the iPhone 5s instead of it just for the audio quality and portable DAC compatibility, which N5 also lacks.


Edited by Xinze - 2/17/14 at 7:57pm
post #111 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinze View Post
 

Nexus 5 sound quality is downright awful.

 

Compared to anything. My laptop, my iPhone 4s, name it. Haven't bothered trying other Android devices.

 

I don't get why anyone would praise the phone as a good source. I'm now wishing I got the iPhone 5s instead of it just for the audio quality and portable DAC compatibility, which N5 also lacks.

what kind of files are you running, flacs or 320 mp3s? besides what headphones did you use on them?

post #112 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by xriddler View Post
 

what kind of files are you running, flacs or 320 mp3s? besides what headphones did you use on them?

 

Mostly 320 with some 256 and 192s. Headphones used are the UM Miracle and some generic buds, I'll test them with my RE-400 as soon as I get them back from warranty.

 

And just tossing this in here... having FLAC/ALAC on a portable device is one of the dumbest things you can do unless you have magic ears. More than half the people here can't tell the difference between 320 and FLAC on a legit desktop setup, forget about the crappy built in amps and dacs of mainstream devices.

post #113 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj renato View Post
 

Greetings Head-fi'ers ! This should mark my first post . Please excuse my sounding a complete noob. :) Off to my query . What do you people think the N5 sound is in comparison to an ipod touch ? 4g ? Because none of my devices , Neither android nor wp quite stack up against my iPod playing alac. Carrying two devices is starting to become a pain and I'm really keen on the N5. But it's a no go from me until I get to know how well it sounds from you experts .I plan to use it with my sound magic E10m IEMs. And sennheiser HD-203 cans driven by my selfmade Headphone amp if need be . Appreciating the help. cheers !

The nexus 5 has excellent sound quality with an app like poweramp after eq'ing it myself. It sounds leagues better than the Ipod 4g which I sold because I just couldn't get it to sound good no matter what I tried.

 

The N5 doesn't sound good stock though but gets vastly better as it reacts really well to a good eq.

 

The N5 with my modded sr80i's sound phenomenal for what it is. I was surprised it is quite spacious sounding.

 

I actually sold my Fiio x3 as I hated how sluggish it was and it's UI is poor imho. I also don't like how the buttons are laid out. Its tonality is excellent but I honestly don't miss it.

 

Edit: Here is my eq setting for my Nexus 5(Tweak depending on your headphone, this one works quite well with the signature I like):

 

 

Note: I haven't tried Alac on the Ipod 4g so take my impressions with a grain of salt. However The quality of files I used on the ipod was 320kbps mp3's.


Edited by johanchandy - 2/18/14 at 9:22am
post #114 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanchandy View Post
 

The nexus 5 has excellent sound quality with an app like poweramp after eq'ing it myself. It sounds leagues better than the Ipod 4g which I sold because I just couldn't get it to sound good no matter what I tried.

 

The N5 doesn't sound good stock though but gets vastly better as it reacts really well to a good eq.

 

The N5 with my modded sr80i's sound phenomenal for what it is. I was surprised it is quite spacious sounding.

 

I actually sold my Fiio x3 as I hated how sluggish it was and it's UI is poor imho. I also don't like how the buttons are laid out. Its tonality is excellent but I honestly don't miss it.

 

Edit: Here is my eq setting for my Nexus 5(Tweak depending on your headphone, this one works quite well with the signature I like):

 

 

 

Note: I haven't tried Alac on the Ipod 4g so take my impressions with a grain of salt. However The quality of files I used on the ipod was 320kbps mp3's.

 

I'm not talking about the signature of the Nexus, I'm just talking about it's hardware capability, which I feel is greatly overrated in this thread.

 

That or I'm just used to my iPhone 4S, which is miles ahead.

post #115 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinze View Post
 

 

I'm not talking about the signature of the Nexus, I'm just talking about it's hardware capability, which I feel is greatly overrated in this thread.

 

That or I'm just used to my iPhone 4S, which is miles ahead.

My post was aimed at vj renato. I was comparing the Nexus 5 vs the Ipod touch 4G(That's what vj renato was asking), not the Iphone 4s(I haven't heard it).

 

My suggestion to use the eq was not only to change the signature but to fix the problems I had with the stock SQ(stock sounds muddy, congested, has mushy bass, vocals are drowned out and the highs don't sparkle....Eq'ing fixes these). I suggested to tweak the eq setting I posted because there are varying opinions on what a balanced sound would be as we hear differently, and the eq I posted sounds balanced with my modded Grado's. I was initially disappointed with the nexus 5 but after the eq I'm really enjoying it, it is quite competent as a dap imho. Turning off the eq sounds like a pillow is over the sound.

 

Have you tried poweramp with an eq? You might be pleasantly surprised. 


Edited by johanchandy - 2/18/14 at 12:14pm
post #116 of 191

I've had N5 for some time now - switched from Galaxy S3, and to be honest it made me buy FiiO x3 as I couldn't listen to this flat, muffled, lifeless sound it produces. I love my N5, but those who say that it sounds great must be joking. 

post #117 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by myprecious View Post
 

I've had N5 for some time now - switched from Galaxy S3, and to be honest it made me buy FiiO x3 as I couldn't listen to this flat, muffled, lifeless sound it produces. I love my N5, but those who say that it sounds great must be joking. 

I agree if you're talking about the stock sound. I disagree if its eq'ed, I've not yet heard a device that responds to an eq so well.

post #118 of 191

Stock or not (actually I've tested several settings with viper4android) sq is bad as far as my perception is concerned. With S3 my Phonaks 122 sounded amazing, with N5 they turned into a torture device, with Etymotic er4pt N5 is simply unbearable. 

Edit: funny - I've just read your post above - you did the opposite, you sold fiio x3:) I wish I were satisfied with N5 sq, I wouldn't have spent money on extra hardware, but it simply is poor to me. Btw, I signed in just to express my bewilderment at what people in this thread have said.


Edited by myprecious - 2/18/14 at 12:44pm
post #119 of 191

Any comparisons VS iPhone 5? I am thinking of buying an X5 buy given the interface quirks I wouldn't mind something better than my iP5 which is much worse than my iPad mini retina and way worse than my MBA.... 

post #120 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrapan View Post
 

Any comparisons VS iPhone 5? I am thinking of buying an X5 buy given the interface quirks I wouldn't mind something better than my iP5 which is much worse than my iPad mini retina and way worse than my MBA.... 

If you're looking for sq, stay away from N5, otherwise it's a great phone.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Nexus 5 Sound Quality?