or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying upgrade to Monoprice 8323 for myself for Christmas. I listen to all genres, and wear headphones all day even at work. Spending around $150
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying upgrade to Monoprice 8323 for myself for Christmas. I listen to all genres, and wear headphones all day even at work. Spending around $150

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

I listen to all genres and have eclectic tastes. Some Artists I might listen to in one of my listening sessions is: EWTN Podcasts, Angels and Airwaves, Sweet Valley, Daft Punk, Tycho, Blackmill, MGMT, Empire of The Sun, Mumford and Sons,Com Truise, Margot and The Nuclear So and Sos, Wolfgang Amadeus  Arcade Fire, Gin Blossoms, The Smashing Pumpkins, Justice, Duran Duran, David Bowie, Coldplay, Elliot Smith, Bon Iver, Tallest Man on Earth, Chillstep.info, This Will Destroy You, Thursday, Tenth Avenue North, Bright Eyes, Explosions in the Sky, Chris Tomlin, Yasushi Ishii, ....a plethora of video game music and OSTs....I listen to a lot of generic rap and instrumental rap but nothing mainstream. 

I listen to tons of ambient and Chillstep, but I don't know any of the artists' names. 

 

I took my current Monoprice 8323 to Best Buy and they sounded better to me than pretty much everything there except for maybe a few of the more expensive ones, 2 Sonys, and one of the Sol Republics (strangely the cheapest one). Also, the ones that sounded better were not so much better that they justified the huge price difference from my Monoprice 8323s. All of the Sennheisers were very quiet played from my phone. 

I am looking for a lot of fullness and precense, preferably a brighter sound than my 8323s and versatility to where I can listen to any genre well. I like good bass, forward mids, and warmth kind of like a Marshall guitar amp. I also like it when it sounds like the artists are actually there playing. 

I have a smaller head than average so usually I don't get hurt by clamp pressure, I do prefer noise isolation, and an't wear open back to work for obvious reasons.

 

As for looks, I prefer more professional looking ones: black, silver, brown leather, sleek, and matching business casual if possible. I also kind of like retro stuff with curly chords.

 

I mostly need something portable for my Iphone 3GS and my iMac at work. 

 

Current top choices (looking in the $150 range):

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
Audio Technica ATH M50

The Sol Republic that was $80 and sounded really good...

The Sony ones that sounded good at around $120...

 

Thanks so much in advance,

ajp120

 


Edited by ajp120 - 11/5/13 at 8:48am
post #2 of 7

I dont think that the Sennheiser HD25-1 II sounds quiet (its the opposite) It have the professional look that you like, the good and fun sound and the excelent isolation.

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan1894 View Post
 

I dont think that the Sennheiser HD25-1 II sounds quiet (its the opposite) It have the professional look that you like, the good and fun sound and the excelent isolation.

 

Thank you very much for your response. I had read a lot about these and the reviews are impressive. I love how they look and seem lightweight, also they are relatively in my budget. My only fear is that they will not have the sub bass that I would like for my Chill-step/Rap music that I like. I'm not a bass head by any means, but all the other Sennheisers I tried I could not hear much bass at all out of my iPhone.  

 

You have gotten me very curious in these and I'm watching a lot of praising reviews of the HD25-1 II's. 

UPDATE: I saw the HD25-1 IIs were at 15hz at the bottom range so bass should be good for my listening purposes. 


Edited by ajp120 - 11/5/13 at 11:58am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp120 View Post
 

 

Thank you very much for your response. I had read a lot about these and the reviews are impressive. I love how they look and seem lightweight, also they are relatively in my budget. My only fear is that they will not have the sub bass that I would like for my Chill-step/Rap music that I like. I'm not a bass head by any means, but all the other Sennheisers I tried I could not hear much bass at all out of my iPhone.  

 

You have gotten me very curious in these and I'm watching a lot of praising reviews of the HD25-1 II's. 

UPDATE: I saw the HD25-1 IIs were at 15hz at the bottom range so bass should be good for my listening purposes. 

 

Hi, look

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD251IIB2012.pdf

 

In my opinion the bass don't suffer a roll off. I think that this headphone suit your genres well

post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan1894 View Post

Hi, look

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD251IIB2012.pdf

In my opinion the bass don't suffer a roll off. I think that this headphone suit your genres well

Thank you that chart helped a lot.

I was wondering if the HD25 SP 2s sounded worse than the HD25 1-iis. They seem to be the same physically in all ways but headband but much cheaper
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 

Just scooped up a pair. Hope I liked them. I got a greeeeaaat deal. 

post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp120 View Post
 

Just scooped up a pair. Hope I liked them. I got a greeeeaaat deal. 

You got the HD25-1 II? just for curiosity at what price you got the headphones?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying upgrade to Monoprice 8323 for myself for Christmas. I listen to all genres, and wear headphones all day even at work. Spending around $150