or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Help to decide what to buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help to decide what to buy

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I know nothing about headphones but I am pretty tired of the quality of my $9.99 speakerphone.

I have $150.00 budget, and search on the web seems Sennheiser HD380 is a good choice, now $140.00 at amazon.

However I see other brands like Grado 80i, Axxxxx-M50? and something else but due to the limited knowledge I can't decide which one to go.

I need the headphone for mainly: gaming, movie, and music. I am not a professional musician or anything like that.

My first priority is comfort, can wear hours without feeling ear hurt/sweat/etc. That's why I am willing to pay $50.00 more for HD380 not 280.

Second is of course the sound quality, better to beat my $9.99 little white... and I mean by a lot.

Can anyone give me good suggestions?
post #2 of 13
2/3 of those are studio monitors. Are you okay with a more linear sound signature?
post #3 of 13

Sennheiser 558's are pretty good. I have the 598's which are essentially the same thing. No problems here. Breathes great and I've had them on all day.

post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkw2577 View Post

I know nothing about headphones but I am pretty tired of the quality of my $9.99 speakerphone.

I have $150.00 budget, and search on the web seems Sennheiser HD380 is a good choice, now $140.00 at amazon.

However I see other brands like Grado 80i, Axxxxx-M50? and something else but due to the limited knowledge I can't decide which one to go.

I need the headphone for mainly: gaming, movie, and music. I am not a professional musician or anything like that.

My first priority is comfort, can wear hours without feeling ear hurt/sweat/etc. That's why I am willing to pay $50.00 more for HD380 not 280.

Second is of course the sound quality, better to beat my $9.99 little white... and I mean by a lot.

Can anyone give me good suggestions?

Hello!

What genre of music do you listen to and will you be using it outdoor/are isolations important to you?

As for now, I recommend
Sennheiser HD598
AKG K550

Hope it helps,
Billson smily_headphones1.gif
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 

I listen to radio music aka top 100 and won't use it outdoor. HD598 is too expensive, but I will put it into consideration if it really beat down HD558 to hell. Suggestions Please :D

post #6 of 13
Sony ma900
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkw2577 View Post
 

I listen to radio music aka top 100 and won't use it outdoor. HD598 is too expensive, but I will put it into consideration if it really beat down HD558 to hell. Suggestions Please :D

 

I would say listen to some Sennheisers in person first, they have a very linear sound and quiet. They might disappoint if they aren't specifically what you are looking for or using them for work. 

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 

After read many reviews HD598 looks like the one killed all other headphones at $200.00, do you guys suggest I wait until thanksgiving for price cut or the price is the same over the last few years?

 

Also if any HD598 competitors welcome to address here :D

post #9 of 13
Hd558 features the same driver, different housing. You can mod it to sound similar to 598 easily
post #10 of 13
Hd558 features the same driver, different housing. You can mod it to sound similar to 598 easily
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 

Purchase made, Senhaiser HD598. 

 

Found a sickdeal at Frys, $149.00. same price as HD558 and HD380. Too good to be true.

post #12 of 13
Nice, congratulations.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkw2577 View Post

Purchase made, Senhaiser HD598. 

Found a sickdeal at Frys, $149.00. same price as HD558 and HD380. Too good to be true.

Congrats! Happy listening smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Help to decide what to buy