You fully accepted those restrictions when you bought and then kept it in the 1st place. If you felt it lacking, you should have returned it. If not, be happy or move on. They never 'changed' the output impedance of the AK120 or AK100. They introduced a new model. There is nothing to claim. Go ahead and have a go at that, LOL. The unit works and works well with some low impedance IEMs. The XBA-4 is a multi driver BA with an 8 ohm impedance and is often noted as a great sounding match to the AK100. We were discussing it's output impedance in 2012 and AK already had this response before the new year. Taken from a Headphonia review dated 12/19/2012:
I think you guys already known about “RWAK100”
Well, here are our mentions for this issue, please refer to it.
If you change AK100’s output impedance into 0 ohm (by taking off resistance)
1. Sound become powerful.
2. enrich sound of high impedance
3. better balance for Armature unit drive earphone.
1. Each headset has limitation of maximum output. By reducing impedance of AK100, there could be deterioration of headset and it cause short of circuit. In this case, it consume over 2W electric power and make damage of AK100 circuit.
2. When there is Static Electricity, it can easily damage of AK100. In this case, even it plays but there is no sound.
3. VOC and PL regulation issue will be happed by causing hypacusis and deafness.
4. Even it improves the sound power, it reduces smooth and delicate sound detail of AK100.
Why it still has a 3 ohm output impedance rather than below 1 ohm.
There is nothing defective about it and your post is very much a rant.
They are still selling the standard AK100 as well. Just stop. I hate when folks decide to buy something and then have expectations or bad feelings towards a company after a new model or improvements are made. If you don't like what you have, you shouldn't have bought it in the 1st place or did so for the wrong reasons. This is like the kid that starts a fight because he got what he perceives as the smaller 1/2 of a split chocolate bar even though he had nothing before.
1) I Did not attack or insult You in any way - So I expect the same respect from You.
2) It may be that it had been discussed in this forum before - I did not know Head Fi Forum before I bought the AK 100. Fact is that the output impedance issue has NOT been discussed in Germany when I bought it from a local dealer and he didn't know either. This has not been accepted as reason enough to give it back.
3) I accept that You are fine with what You got - maybe You could also accept that I have a different view on this.
4) I am definitely not interested in discussing this with You further