or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BoseAE2 Crackling Noises

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Greetings Everyone!,

 

New to this site, but a long time lurker; I owe you guys a ton of gratitude for introducing me to the lovely brand known as kilpsch. But now on to my question/cocern or you kind folks.

 

The Bose AE2's. I was torn when buying this model. From researching them here, and on numerous other forums, I drew the conclusion I'm sure many of you are familiar with- "comfortable but not worth the money". Now for someone who has a larger than usual head, and whose ears get surprisingly hot, comfort had to tie with sound quality as a top priority rather than be second to it when it come to purchasing a pair of headphones that weren't  an in ear model. I had the opportunity to try these on, and instantly fell in love with the comfort of them, but for the $150 dollar price tag I just could not justify them. Then, one day out of the blue, I was able to score the AE2I model for about $95 and jumped on them; I figured worst case scenario I should be able to resell them for that much. 

 

Now, I have tried these headphones out on numerous sources, from computer, to iphone, to tablet, and I am finding that when I push the devices to about two clicks from their max volume these things begin to distort like nobody's business. Before the fidelity of the audio files i brought into question- I Have only tested flac files ranging from classical music to R&B and J-pop.

I've tested the same files on the same devices with my klipsch headphones, and only at the very max does the audio begin to distort, and even then it's very very minimal.

 

Seeing as most audiophiles tend to have a bad taste in their mouth for bose products, I have been hard pressed to find unbiased, educated responses online to issues regarding the AE2. Have any of the owners on this forum run into similar issues with their model, or is it possible that I have been handed a faulty unit? I am also curious to here some responses as to whether or not these begin to sound better as they are broken in a little bit, how long they take to break in etc.. I have no delusion that these we'll be the best sounding headphones I will ever own, I just want something extremely comfortable with a slightly above average sound to listen to when I need to be in front of a computer for 6-8 hours straight.

 

Any advice, comments, feedback, and just general opinions are all welcome. Thank you all in advance for any help you may offer, and thank you all for creating a community like this where these question can even be asked. 

 

Majinchuck

post #2 of 13
Thread Starter 

any advice guys?

post #3 of 13

Why are you turning the volume all the way up with a new set of headphones? they shouldn't be treated that way. 

post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 

I wasn't aware that I shouldn't put them that high initially. I didn't put them that high initially, it was after maybe 2-3 hours. Is there a usually amount of break in time you should give headphones, or these in particular? have you have better luck with this set than I have by any chance?

post #5 of 13
Open headphones is an option for you?
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by majinchuck View Post
 

Greetings Everyone!,

 

New to this site, but a long time lurker; I owe you guys a ton of gratitude for introducing me to the lovely brand known as kilpsch. But now on to my question/cocern or you kind folks.

 

The Bose AE2's. I was torn when buying this model. From researching them here, and on numerous other forums, I drew the conclusion I'm sure many of you are familiar with- "comfortable but not worth the money". Now for someone who has a larger than usual head, and whose ears get surprisingly hot, comfort had to tie with sound quality as a top priority rather than be second to it when it come to purchasing a pair of headphones that weren't  an in ear model. I had the opportunity to try these on, and instantly fell in love with the comfort of them, but for the $150 dollar price tag I just could not justify them. Then, one day out of the blue, I was able to score the AE2I model for about $95 and jumped on them; I figured worst case scenario I should be able to resell them for that much. 

 

Now, I have tried these headphones out on numerous sources, from computer, to iphone, to tablet, and I am finding that when I push the devices to about two clicks from their max volume these things begin to distort like nobody's business. Before the fidelity of the audio files i brought into question- I Have only tested flac files ranging from classical music to R&B and J-pop.

I've tested the same files on the same devices with my klipsch headphones, and only at the very max does the audio begin to distort, and even then it's very very minimal.

 

Seeing as most audiophiles tend to have a bad taste in their mouth for bose products, I have been hard pressed to find unbiased, educated responses online to issues regarding the AE2. Have any of the owners on this forum run into similar issues with their model, or is it possible that I have been handed a faulty unit? I am also curious to here some responses as to whether or not these begin to sound better as they are broken in a little bit, how long they take to break in etc.. I have no delusion that these we'll be the best sounding headphones I will ever own, I just want something extremely comfortable with a slightly above average sound to listen to when I need to be in front of a computer for 6-8 hours straight.

 

Any advice, comments, feedback, and just general opinions are all welcome. Thank you all in advance for any help you may offer, and thank you all for creating a community like this where these question can even be asked. 

 

Majinchuck

The bose AE2 is not THAT bad. it have the mids a bit sucked out and for me it have a sharp treble with a artificial soundstage, but for the comfort that you got with this pair, I could pay $95 for sure. The distortion or crackling noise is normal, if you listen music that loud you really pushing the drivers to its max. and this is bad. Im not sure but i think that is not a Bose fault.

 

However for $150 there are many headphones that you can choose with better Sound Quality and good comfort. Closed back (Sennheiser HD439, Beyerdynamic DT770) Open Back (Sennheiser HD558, Audio-technica AD900, Ath-Ad700X) etc etc etc

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by majinchuck View Post
 

I wasn't aware that I shouldn't put them that high initially. I didn't put them that high initially, it was after maybe 2-3 hours. Is there a usually amount of break in time you should give headphones, or these in particular? have you have better luck with this set than I have by any chance?

 

I always give time to headphone drivers to flex before trying to set volume at higher levels. Usually burn-in takes from 50 hours+ at a moderate listening level. 

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 

.


Edited by majinchuck - 11/5/13 at 2:07pm
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 

.


Edited by majinchuck - 11/5/13 at 2:08pm
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwess View Post
 

 

I always give time to headphone drivers to flex before trying to set volume at higher levels. Usually burn-in takes from 50 hours+ at a moderate listening level. 

Alrighty, so I'll keep these around for a couple weeks and hope for the best. I appreciate your input.

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Open headphones is an option for you?

Was really hoping to stick to closed back. I have a little one and wife always calling me for something so I don't get much dedicated listening time; my purpose for closed headphones (besides work of course) if for those rare few hours where I get to lay down, block out the rest of the world and just get lost in the music.

 

Sorry if that sounds kinda stupid, but between work, school, baby, no baby sitter and no money for vacation- getting lost in the music is something I really look forward to.

post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan1894 View Post
 

The bose AE2 is not THAT bad. it have the mids a bit sucked out and for me it have a sharp treble with a artificial soundstage, but for the comfort that you got with this pair, I could pay $95 for sure. The distortion or crackling noise is normal, if you listen music that loud you really pushing the drivers to its max. and this is bad. Im not sure but i think that is not a Bose fault.

 

However for $150 there are many headphones that you can choose with better Sound Quality and good comfort. Closed back (Sennheiser HD439, Beyerdynamic DT770) Open Back (Sennheiser HD558, Audio-technica AD900, Ath-Ad700X) etc etc etc

I've heard wonderful things about the closed back options you recommended, but I was actually with how velour covering around the ears would work. I tend to sweat, and without an easy way to clean these I would be scared that they would begin to smell eventually.

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by majinchuck View Post
 

I've heard wonderful things about the closed back options you recommended, but I was actually with how velour covering around the ears would work. I tend to sweat, and without an easy way to clean these I would be scared that they would begin to smell eventually.

 

The HD439 have replaceable cable and earpads, you can buy pleather pads for this headphone in the sennheiser web site. The Dt770 have replaceable earpads too http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/ohrmuschelsatz-32.html. However, me, personally sweat less with the velour pads

 

Cheers

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home