Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Please share your BEST SQ DAP or DAC / Amp.combo for I Device and Android as SOURCE For Desktop set up
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please share your BEST SQ DAP or DAC / Amp.combo for I Device and Android as SOURCE For Desktop...

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hallo All Friends

Please share your BEST SQ DAP or DAC / Amp.combo for I Device and Android as SOURCE For Desktop set up

1 month a go I have tried my DAPs and DAC / Amp combo for I Device andnAndroid as my Source for my Desktop set up .

The Result not always good as portable source in portable set up is good to Desktop Set Up

Source 1 : IPhone 4 s
Dac Amp : theorem 720

Source 2 : Iphonr 4 s
Dac Amp : Hi Fi m8

Pre Amp : Tube Pre amp T + A. P 10.2

Power Amp : Stax Srm 727 mk 2

Headphone : Stax Sr 009



82f412004dfd16f9f069f5d5dc6b8f0b_zpse3356f46.jpg

In this set up :

Theorem 720 is on par with Hi Fi M 8

High : slightly cleaner and clearer
Mid : Theorem more clear and clean mid , M8 more forward and more volume
Bass : on par , Theorem has Better bass impact , M8 bass more volume
separation : on par
Soundstage : on par , M8 has slightly better depth

For high end portable set up as Source is very difficult to choose , the different is minimal
This hang from the synergy from the whole set up

If you want more clean Theorem is your choice
Of you want fuller sound M8 is your choice

IMO
Edited by rudi0504 - 10/31/13 at 11:27am
post #2 of 16
What do you think theorem 720 or tera? smily_headphones1.gif
post #3 of 16

Interesting stuff Rudi. 

I have the Hifi-M8 but not the Theorum.

 

I found pairing the hifi-M8 with ipod touch 5G and the venturecraft lightning LOD made the highs more clear and cleaner. Also improved the separation.

 

Using Ipod touch 4G and iphone 4- I agree with your above findings.

post #4 of 16
.
Edited by Mimouille - 10/31/13 at 6:47pm
post #5 of 16
Rudi, are you using the 1/4 or 1/8 single-ended output on the M8 to feed the desktop system? Or are you using the balanced output?
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by puskuruk View Post

What do you think theorem 720 or tera? smily_headphones1.gif

Tera is excellent for portable stand alone dap
For pairing as source is below Theorem and Hi Fi M8
IMO
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan View Post

Interesting stuff Rudi. 
I have the Hifi-M8 but not the Theorum.

I found pairing the hifi-M8 with ipod touch 5G and the venturecraft lightning LOD made the highs more clear and cleaner. Also improved the separation.

Using Ipod touch 4G and iphone 4- I agree with your above findings.

Hi

Thank you ExpatinJapan
I just got my Hi Fi M8 by this week
I don't have iPod touch 5 G , I believe the SQ from I device are very good to excellent
That's why I chose Hi Fi M8 with I device input
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

.

Hi Michael
You should follow me and Gavin to use Amps to make your ES 5 and other high end CIems more fun and you can hear the different is a lot
For home use biggrin.gif
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post

Rudi, are you using the 1/4 or 1/8 single-ended output on the M8 to feed the desktop system? Or are you using the balanced output?

I use RCA to RCA from Shunyata Ztrone Cobra and use adapter from Monster RCA to 1/8 single ended .
Use 1/4 single ended or balance is better than single ended
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Yesterday night I done A / B comparison between M8 and Theorem with my Desktop rigs
I use the same set up above :

Theorem win the SQ over M8 in term of

High : more clear and clean
Mid : more pronounce and clear
Bass : is cleaner but less impact

M8 has better bass impact and more power , but clarity separation and soundstage Theorem is better
M8 less HISS
Theorem has HISS, but in home / desktop rig is not a big problem for me

IMO
post #11 of 16
Theorem has more gain maybe?


Can you do a comparison with IEMs and portable headphones?

Gain 1 and 2.

Thanks.
post #12 of 16
First you say Theorem has more bass impact then M8, did it change or is one of those a typo?
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post

I use RCA to RCA from Shunyata Ztrone Cobra and use adapter from Monster RCA to 1/8 single ended .
Use 1/4 single ended or balance is better than single ended

Rudi, I'm not sure from your response? My apologies. So you are using 1/8 single ended output only on both units?

Personally I feel the balanced out of the M8 has noticeably better SQ (note body, clarity, soundstage) Of course I have no idea about the theorem. Perhaps this has to do with the M8 using the full ability of it's amp.

Awhile back on the M8 thread, Michael Goodman confirmed for me that it's safe to operate the M8 With a single ended (RCA) adapter from the M8 balanced output. Some balanced amps can be seriously damaged by doing this, because it bridges the L/R grounds to one. But apparently the M8 is safe.

Disclaimer: It's always safe to plug a balanced headphone into a single ended amplifier with an adapter. It's questionable and must be verified with an amp manufacturer if a single ended item can be plugged into a balanced output with adapter. (Always ask!)

I'm waiting on another XLR plug to arrive to make my adapter to run my single ended desktop setup off the M8 balanced output. I'll report back after I've got it running.

Anyway, it may be worth checking if the theorem can do the same? (PLEASE verify with cypher labs if it's safe folks!) If so I would be very interested in the outcome of both units feeding the desktop from balanced out. Perhaps shootout #2?

And if the M8 can feed it's balanced into the desktop and the theorem can't? Maybe not a fair fight? LOL.

I hope this post wasn't confusing. I'll report back after my adapter is made.
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post

Rudi, I'm not sure from your response? My apologies. So you are using 1/8 single ended output only on both units?

Personally I feel the balanced out of the M8 has noticeably better SQ (note body, clarity, soundstage) Of course I have no idea about the theorem. Perhaps this has to do with the M8 using the full ability of it's amp.

Awhile back on the M8 thread, Michael Goodman confirmed for me that it's safe to operate the M8 With a single ended (RCA) adapter from the M8 balanced output. Some balanced amps can be seriously damaged by doing this, because it bridges the L/R grounds to one. But apparently the M8 is safe.

Disclaimer: It's always safe to plug a balanced headphone into a single ended amplifier with an adapter. It's questionable and must be verified with an amp manufacturer if a single ended item can be plugged into a balanced output with adapter. (Always ask!)

I'm waiting on another XLR plug to arrive to make my adapter to run my single ended desktop setup off the M8 balanced output. I'll report back after I've got it running.

Anyway, it may be worth checking if the theorem can do the same? (PLEASE verify with cypher labs if it's safe folks!) If so I would be very interested in the outcome of both units feeding the desktop from balanced out. Perhaps shootout #2?

And if the M8 can feed it's balanced into the desktop and the theorem can't? Maybe not a fair fight? LOL.

I hope this post wasn't confusing. I'll report back after my adapter is made.

Maybe My explanation not so Clear

M8 HP out i use adapter rca to mini jack , is going to CD input on My pre amp

Theorem i can use HP out as well with rca to mini adapter , or i use LINE out
Going to pre amp CD input
Edited by rudi0504 - 11/3/13 at 11:12am
post #15 of 16
Ah, okay so not using the balanced RSA plug output. I'll report my impressions of the balanced output when I can!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Please share your BEST SQ DAP or DAC / Amp.combo for I Device and Android as SOURCE For Desktop set up