or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › ASG-2, CK100Pro, UE900 and FA-4E XB [reviews] - The dysfunctional family
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ASG-2, CK100Pro, UE900 and FA-4E XB [reviews] - The dysfunctional family - Page 8

post #106 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post

If you are prepared to import then get se846 from Japan. I picked mine up on Tokyo holiday. Typical UK / EU price hike a joke

This is purely from memory so YMMV, sd3 has more bass quantity within inear presentation but se846 kills it for control, extension and impact. Another level in sound and no lacking bass quantity

Thanks for the advice but I've already taken a shot at the fa 4e's!and as Kurdt said, the se846 does seem like a good package but at almost 1000 pounds compared to 300 for the Fischer, the reviews for each really don't seem 3 times the difference!
post #107 of 127

As I have tried both I assume to say that SE846 are excellent IEMs, but FA4, because of its price, is just extraordinary.

post #108 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollk2 View Post

As I have tried both I assume to say that SE846 are excellent IEMs, but FA4, because of its price, is just extraordinary.

So taking price into account, which would you rate better? The shures or the fischers?
post #109 of 127

Fixed the formatting of prev post. Stupid phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdt-bada View Post

I think he is in Europe here the 846 costs 600 euros more than the fa 4e so...


I know, "if you are prepared to import..." was in reference to the ASG being on the table. SE846 Tokyo price is 40% less than UK. But see order now placed for FA-4E. Would be interested to demo FA-4E if anyone in London has a pair. Just for curiosity as it is similar pricing to my other IEMs.


Edited by LFC_SL - 5/24/14 at 1:38am
post #110 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithamb View Post


So taking price into account, which would you rate better? The shures or the fischers?


I just said that "because of its price", it's taking price into account ;)

 

To my ears SE846 are better : imaging, extension and impact are more realistic, soundstage is more full with full-bodied instrument. But FA4 are not SO FAR. And in taking price into accound I would go, what I did, to FA4. BUT, if I had no limit I would gone to SE846.

post #111 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post

Fixed the formatting of prev post. Stupid phone


I know, "if you are prepared to import..." was in reference to the ASG being on the table. SE846 Tokyo price is 40% less than UK. But see order now placed for FA-4E. Would be interested to demo FA-4E if anyone in London has a pair. Just for curiosity as it is similar pricing to my other IEMs.

Don't suppose you have any links to back this up? As if what you are saying is true then I have a 30 day money back guarantee no questions asked on the Fischers and could maybe be persuaded if the price is right?

Cheers
post #112 of 127
Not sure what you are asking. Japan SE846 price is ¥92000 - ¥110000, similar to US price. Not hard to see on Google, not as if I am making it up. But Rollk2 advice is sensible and sounds like FA-4E good value.

I would not pay UK mark up for SE846. For only a few hundred more I got direct return flights to visit my Tokyo friend and covered cost of SE846.

Would happily repeat the trick. Tokyo worth a repeat visit for the sushi and it has e-earphone wink.gifsmily_headphones1.gif
post #113 of 127
Thread Starter 
Just from what I've read in ways of comparisons, the FA-4E is equal to or better than most iems in its price range so far. Most people end up preferring it to any other iems that's below 500€ or $600. I've kind of stopped my iem search right now because I have them and they fit my preferences so well and are technically very good. So if slightly laid back and warm compared to neutral with strong sub bass is something you may like, I doubt you'll find anything better. The negative is that FA-4E is more focused on the whole picture than just vocals. So nothing will be emphasized compared to other instruments. Highlights are the well behaved bass (experiment with tips and cables) and just very technically proficient overall. Hard to fault for anything really. Except just a tad recessed vocals maybe and a tad soft on the note edge. But those two can be made up for with tips, a good, present DAC/Amp and a good cable (in that order IMO). Cable can come before amp if you need a mic. Well. I'm quite certain you will like the FA's.
post #114 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonYeol View Post

Just from what I've read in ways of comparisons, the FA-4E is equal to or better than most iems in its price range so far. Most people end up preferring it to any other iems that's below 500€ or $600. I've kind of stopped my iem search right now because I have them and they fit my preferences so well and are technically very good. So if slightly laid back and warm compared to neutral with strong sub bass is something you may like, I doubt you'll find anything better. The negative is that FA-4E is more focused on the whole picture than just vocals. So nothing will be emphasized compared to other instruments. Highlights are the well behaved bass (experiment with tips and cables) and just very technically proficient overall. Hard to fault for anything really. Except just a tad recessed vocals maybe and a tad soft on the note edge. But those two can be made up for with tips, a good, present DAC/Amp and a good cable (in that order IMO). Cable can come before amp if you need a mic. Well. I'm quite certain you will like the FA's.

Thanks a lot for your reply, you're making me even more impatient when it comes to waiting for these little beasts to come! What cable would you recommend? Bearing in mind most aren't available in the UK so I'll have to ship from America so price wise it kinda has to be something that's worth the money?

Thanks
post #115 of 127
Check null audio they send premium cables for 4 euros to europe
post #116 of 127
Thread Starter 
All I know is that I love my Hydra-4 from NocturnaL Audio. But the shipping is steep. I'd say tip rolling is #1 and then you should also have the source you want before you start swapping cables. Because to my ears cables are a clear 3rd when it comes to the FA-4E.
post #117 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonYeol View Post

All I know is that I love my Hydra-4 from NocturnaL Audio. But the shipping is steep. I'd say tip rolling is #1 and then you should also have the source you want before you start swapping cables. Because to my ears cables are a clear 3rd when it comes to the FA-4E.

Tip rolling?
post #118 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithamb View Post


Tip rolling?

 

Refers to one of two things...  Rolling the tip physically to loosen it before insertion, can change seal...  I don't think that's what he's referring to.  Tips change the sound of IEMs, not all silicone tips are created equal and can change the seal, distance (of the driver to the ear drum), etc. of the IEM.  Some IEMs are more sensitive to tip changes while others are not.  Using different tips can change the sound of an IEM greatly, playing around with those can help quite a bit. 

post #119 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post



I would not pay UK mark up for SE846.

How much are they in the UK?

post #120 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

Refers to one of two things...  Rolling the tip physically to loosen it before insertion, can change seal...  I don't think that's what he's referring to.  Tips change the sound of IEMs, not all silicone tips are created equal and can change the seal, distance (of the driver to the ear drum), etc. of the IEM.  Some IEMs are more sensitive to tip changes while others are not.  Using different tips can change the sound of an IEM greatly, playing around with those can help quite a bit. 

Thanks a lot for your help, will have to experiment when they arrive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonYeol View Post

All I know is that I love my Hydra-4 from NocturnaL Audio. But the shipping is steep. I'd say tip rolling is #1 and then you should also have the source you want before you start swapping cables. Because to my ears cables are a clear 3rd when it comes to the FA-4E.

Any tip suggestions? I have the comply tx500 with the wax guard, should I take the foam guard out?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › ASG-2, CK100Pro, UE900 and FA-4E XB [reviews] - The dysfunctional family