or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage - Page 369

post #5521 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeddun View Post

Wonder if this would be a good alternative to the M jack for certain dynamic driver IEMs? http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-iematch/

 

Yep, this is good, and probably better than the M Jack in terms of built quality and functionality. This is good for ultra sensitive IEMs and very useful for flights (especially for loud announcements which max out the volume).

 

However, it adds bulk and I think it will still affect SQ.

 

For the Calyx M, most of the IEMs will not require the M jack. Probably only those ultra sensitive ones (none of my IEMs in my collection requires the M jack).

post #5522 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeddun View Post

Wonder if this would be a good alternative to the M jack for certain dynamic driver IEMs? http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-iematch/


IMO, the iEMatch description, doesn't  read like it addresses what the M jack does. I've never had a problem with an IEM exhibiting hiss or being overly sensitive, requiring the M Jack but when needed, the IEM (Dynamic) produces low end breakup that almost sounds like digital distortion. I don't know if Calyx has ever explained what magic the M Jack does but the end results, of the two devices, seems to be totally different. 

post #5523 of 5549

Hi Chawya22,

 

You keeping Calyx M and QP1R?

 

Best Regards,

Mark

post #5524 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
 

Hi Chawya22,

 

You keeping Calyx M and QP1R?

 

Best Regards,

Mark


Yes, currently I own and intend to keep both.

post #5525 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawya22 View Post
 


Yes, currently I own and intend to keep both.


Good for you! 2 of the best DAP available! Should stop any further upgrades!


Edited by MarkTwain - 1/10/17 at 5:36am
post #5526 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawya22 View Post
 


Yes, currently I own and intend to keep both.


Good for you! 2 of the best DAP available! Should stop any further upgrades!

What about the new Sony WM1A/Z? By my ears, that is the new SQ king and boasts 30 hours playback and a great UI/form factor. Not saying the Calyx is a slouch, but that Sony ticks all the marks and has me very itchy with upgraditus.

post #5527 of 5549

BTW, did I mention what a wonderfully perfect pairing the HEX is directly from the M? Could be end game for some.

post #5528 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
 

What about the new Sony WM1A/Z? By my ears, that is the new SQ king and boasts 30 hours playback and a great UI/form factor. Not saying the Calyx is a slouch, but that Sony ticks all the marks and has me very itchy with upgraditus.


Tested the WM1A before buying the Calyx M...the second time. I won't say that WM1A is the SQ King. It is good, but I prefer Calyx M than that, as well as other DAPs I bought and sold. WM1A is good, so are QP1R, Opus, Cowon Plenue (bought and sold these DAPs after selling off my first Calyx M, as well as a few others). Was prepared to pay for the WM1A (tried WM1Z as well but don't think it is worth that asking price), but after serious auditioning at the store, I went back to Calyx M. Sold my QP1R as well.

 

This is personal preference, as I used to own the ZX2 as well. The main advantage of WM1A is the long battery life, as well as its built quality. For SQ alone, Calyx M is hard to beat. This is personal preference of course, so take it as pinch of salt. :o I prefer engaging and dynamic sound, listening to music that provide non-fatigue listening. Calyx M pairs perfectly with my Layla 2. Single-ended from Calyx M is better than Balanced Output from a few other players I tried (e.g. Opus#1).

 

The battery life of Calyx M is OK for me, as I don't have long listening in a move. If the battery could last for 30hrs, it will be perfect, but not a serious turn down for me at the current battery life.


Edited by MarkTwain - 1/10/17 at 10:42pm
post #5529 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
 

What about the new Sony WM1A/Z? By my ears, that is the new SQ king and boasts 30 hours playback and a great UI/form factor. Not saying the Calyx is a slouch, but that Sony ticks all the marks and has me very itchy with upgraditus.


Tested the WM1A before buying the Calyx M...the second time. I won't say that WM1A is the SQ King. It is good, but I prefer Calyx M than that, as well as other DAPs I bought and sold. WM1A is good, so are QP1R, Opus, Cowon Plenue (bought and sold these DAPs after selling off my first Calyx M, as well as a few others). Was prepared to pay for the WM1A (tried WM1Z as well but don't think it is worth that asking price), but after serious auditioning at the store, I went back to Calyx M. Sold my QP1R as well.

 

This is personal preference, as I used to own the ZX2 as well. The main advantage of WM1A is the long battery life, as well as its built quality. For SQ alone, Calyx M is hard to beat. This is personal preference of course, so take it as pinch of salt. :o I prefer engaging and dynamic sound, listening to music that provide non-fatigue listening. Calyx M pairs perfectly with my Layla 2. Single-ended from Calyx M is better than Balanced Output from a few other players I tried (e.g. Opus#1).

 

The battery life of Calyx M is OK for me, as I don't have long listening in a move. If the battery could last for 30hrs, it will be perfect, but not a serious turn down for me at the current battery life.

While the WM1A is my preferred tuning and it can be used mobile with a 30 hour battery, I will not be selling my Calyx M as it has a very different tuning at a similar level of performance. So there is room for both even though I think the WM1A sounds better because I like variety. The only thing that makes the Calyx M usable for me given the battery issue - besides its good looks - is that I listen to it as my bed side rig and keep it plugged in while listening. 

 

On the other hand, my AK100i may not be so lucky as it is easily outclassed on all levels by the WM1A. The only reason I might keep it is for its line out depending on WM1A's HP out performance as a source to home or meet rigs.

post #5530 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
 

While the WM1A is my preferred tuning and it can be used mobile with a 30 hour battery, I will not be selling my Calyx M as it has a very different tuning at a similar level of performance. So there is room for both even though I think the WM1A sounds better because I like variety. The only thing that makes the Calyx M usable for me given the battery issue - besides its good looks - is that I listen to it as my bed side rig and keep it plugged in while listening. 

 

On the other hand, my AK100i may not be so lucky as it is easily outclassed on all levels by the WM1A. The only reason I might keep it is for its line out depending on WM1A's HP out performance as a source to home or meet rigs.

 

We all have different hearing and preference. For me, I went through buy/sell different DAPs and none come close to the engaging and musical sound quality that Calyx M delivers. I can't describe it well, but some players let you hear details and bass, but I realised the latest DAPs focus more on analytical side and on just micro-details, which tend to be cold and causing fatigue after a while. Some songs just does not engage when listening with my other players such as Opus#1, QP1R, and I conclude that it is not my sound when I can't listen for long. The same song played through Calyx M just sounds smoother and more engaging, and yet as detailed as most top DAP, and I can just keep the player playing for hours without fatigue.

 

All good DAPs, I would conclude. Different preference for different people. No best one, and no king in DAPs.

post #5531 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
 

While the WM1A is my preferred tuning and it can be used mobile with a 30 hour battery, I will not be selling my Calyx M as it has a very different tuning at a similar level of performance. So there is room for both even though I think the WM1A sounds better because I like variety. The only thing that makes the Calyx M usable for me given the battery issue - besides its good looks - is that I listen to it as my bed side rig and keep it plugged in while listening. 

 

On the other hand, my AK100i may not be so lucky as it is easily outclassed on all levels by the WM1A. The only reason I might keep it is for its line out depending on WM1A's HP out performance as a source to home or meet rigs.

 

We all have different hearing and preference. For me, I went through buy/sell different DAPs and none come close to the engaging and musical sound quality that Calyx M delivers. I can't describe it well, but some players let you hear details and bass, but I realised the latest DAPs focus more on analytical side and on just micro-details, which tend to be cold and causing fatigue after a while. Some songs just does not engage when listening with my other players such as Opus#1, QP1R, and I conclude that it is not my sound when I can't listen for long. The same song played through Calyx M just sounds smoother and more engaging, and yet as detailed as most top DAP, and I can just keep the player playing for hours without fatigue.

 

All good DAPs, I would conclude. Different preference for different people. No best one, and no king in DAPs.

Agreed, what I find engaging with the M is the absolute black background. Didn't realize just how noisy other player were until hearing the M. I keep thinking that I miss-hit the buttons when starting songs with long intros or that the player stopped during long pauses as there is no sound outside the intended music. This I find very engaging and unique to the M. It is a very different listening experience. I think the lack of noise is what makes it less fatiguing. Yet, it still has the Sabre weaknesses that it cannot be turned up too loud without getting shouty and then fatiguing. Luckily, I prefer lower volumes and the second strength of the M - incredible dynamics - allow me to hear a full sized sound even at lower volumes.

post #5532 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
 

Agreed, what I find engaging with the M is the absolute black background. Didn't realize just how noisy other player were until hearing the M. I keep thinking that I miss-hit the buttons when starting songs with long intros or that the player stopped during long pauses as there is no sound outside the intended music. This I find very engaging and unique to the M. It is a very different listening experience. I think the lack of noise is what makes it less fatiguing. Yet, it still has the Sabre weaknesses that it cannot be turned up too loud without getting shouty and then fatiguing. Luckily, I prefer lower volumes and the second strength of the M - incredible dynamics - allow me to hear a full sized sound even at lower volumes.

 

Wow. You have a more accurate description of the sound than what I can!

post #5533 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
 

 

We all have different hearing and preference. For me, I went through buy/sell different DAPs and none come close to the engaging and musical sound quality that Calyx M delivers. I can't describe it well, but some players let you hear details and bass, but I realised the latest DAPs focus more on analytical side and on just micro-details, which tend to be cold and causing fatigue after a while. Some songs just does not engage when listening with my other players such as Opus#1, QP1R, and I conclude that it is not my sound when I can't listen for long. The same song played through Calyx M just sounds smoother and more engaging, and yet as detailed as most top DAP, and I can just keep the player playing for hours without fatigue.

 

All good DAPs, I would conclude. Different preference for different people. No best one, and no king in DAPs.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
 

Agreed, what I find engaging with the M is the absolute black background. Didn't realize just how noisy other player were until hearing the M. I keep thinking that I miss-hit the buttons when starting songs with long intros or that the player stopped during long pauses as there is no sound outside the intended music. This I find very engaging and unique to the M. It is a very different listening experience. I think the lack of noise is what makes it less fatiguing. Yet, it still has the Sabre weaknesses that it cannot be turned up too loud without getting shouty and then fatiguing. Luckily, I prefer lower volumes and the second strength of the M - incredible dynamics - allow me to hear a full sized sound even at lower volumes.


My attempt at describing the M "Magic" pretty much mirrors @Barra's take. I can feel completely immersed in the music and be able to discern incredible detail but not have to resort to hearing damaging volumes. It's almost as if, IMO, Calyx built in a subtle DSP spatial effect but even if this were the case, it's done so tastefully, that the M sounds totally natural. 


Edited by chawya22 - 1/12/17 at 6:20pm
post #5534 of 5549

All this talk about the sound of the M is making we crave one.  I will have to get one.  Luckily I can get a battery pack to carry with the M so that is not a big deal and it does have some form of playlist support.  Is the UI slow, buggy or unstable?  Is it fairly smooth and responsive?

post #5535 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawya22 View Post
 

 

 


My attempt at describing the M "Magic" pretty much mirrors @Barra's take. I can feel completely immersed in the music and be able to discern incredible detail but not have to resort to hearing damaging volumes. It's almost as if, IMO, Calyx built in a subtle DSP spatial effect but even if this were the case, it's done so tastefully, that the M sounds totally natural. 

 

Oh yes, that is the word: "Immersed" in the music. Tried many DAPs through my buy and sell journey, including the popular QP1R, which is actually an excellent player, but only Calyx M makes me immersed in music, and enjoying every songs via my Layla 2. Can't describe better of this experience, but something that I could find in all the DAPs I tried, including the WM1A.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage