or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage - Page 192

post #2866 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlight View Post

I do not have any listening experience with TOTL IEMs... it's totally new to me.

Sorry for that. : - )

Thank you for your honest impression. It sounds like according to what you and other reported the player could have been designed extremely well to work with phones in the 32 to 300 ohm range appropriately and that to maximize its performance to be used with TOTL phones except for some other phones like the HD800, the power would be sufficient to last in the upwards of 5-6 hours. Like @Sauntere I would have also liked to hear what TOTL iems/ciems it could have a great synergy with being interested in portability on one hand. The answer from the CEO about not being able to increase the battery runtime does not surprise me. It looks like to be able to enjoy the player longer will require a portable battery pack which with the size and heft of the M will make the stack less portable. Even if they design an amp, portability will be an issue with M due to its relatively larger size and weight. As a desktop unit with USB DAC connectivity then it might be more at home.

Can you tell us what were your criteria as far as functionality of the M is concerned you were interested in and have they been met?
post #2867 of 5495

Every player has some sort of compromise - for the M, it's battery life (and the UI until they sort it out). I've been looking at the ZX-1, but that one seems to be lacking in power (I've no idea if it can make my UM Miracles sing or not since there are no impressions). All the others have their shortcomings, so I guess everybody has to pick their poison. I would go for the AK240, but the price is just too high for me. The RWAK100 might be right up my alley, but again, I can't find any impressions with the Miracle. I'm going to sit back and wait patiently for something that ticks enough boxes - could be a long wait.

post #2868 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post

Every player has some sort of compromise - for the M, it's battery life (and the UI until they sort it out). I've been looking at the ZX-1, but that one seems to be lacking in power (I've no idea if it can make my UM Miracles sing or not since there are no impressions). All the others have their shortcomings, so I guess everybody has to pick their poison. I would go for the AK240, but the price is just too high for me. The RWAK100 might be right up my alley, but again, I can't find any impressions with the Miracle. I'm going to sit back and wait patiently for something that ticks enough boxes - could be a long wait.

I feel your pain, just to increase your choices you may want to watch for the AK100 II when it comes out, it's not a double DAC implementation like the AK120 II or AK240 but my feeling is it will be very close to what it is if the amp stage is well done and it sounds it will be. The portability of it and it's less power hungry requirement plus most likely iems/ciems friendly might just be the ticket for you (price wise it will be around the M pricing). I certainly going to watch it very closely. After what I have seen iRiver do with the CS4398, I am pretty positive it's going to be a very fine machine.
post #2869 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post
 

Every player has some sort of compromise - for the M, it's battery life (and the UI until they sort it out). I've been looking at the ZX-1, but that one seems to be lacking in power (I've no idea if it can make my UM Miracles sing or not since there are no impressions). All the others have their shortcomings, so I guess everybody has to pick their poison. I would go for the AK240, but the price is just too high for me. The RWAK100 might be right up my alley, but again, I can't find any impressions with the Miracle. I'm going to sit back and wait patiently for something that ticks enough boxes - could be a long wait.

 

Why not look at DX90 and X5? Both are more powerful than the M, their UI isn't bad and their sound quality is so close to TOTL daps that some even prefer them over them. I gotta say, I like my DX90 much better than the ZX1 now that its fully burned in (took 200 hours just to level out!) and the latest firmware took the sound quality up a notch as well. Also agree that the AK100II is one to watch out for!


Edited by T.R.A.N.C.E. - 5/22/14 at 1:48am
post #2870 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


Thank you for your honest impression. It sounds like according to what you and other reported the player could have been designed extremely well to work with phones in the 32 to 300 ohm range appropriately and that to maximize its performance to be used with TOTL phones except for some other phones like the HD800, the power would be sufficient to last in the upwards of 5-6 hours. Like @Sauntere I would have also liked to hear what TOTL iems/ciems it could have a great synergy with being interested in portability on one hand. The answer from the CEO about not being able to increase the battery runtime does not surprise me. It looks like to be able to enjoy the player longer will require a portable battery pack which with the size and heft of the M will make the stack less portable. Even if they design an amp, portability will be an issue with M due to its relatively larger size and weight. As a desktop unit with USB DAC connectivity then it might be more at home.

Can you tell us what were your criteria as far as functionality of the M is concerned you were interested in and have they been met?

 

Hmm. actually, as you see from my profile pictures, I own two entry level bookshelf speakers (ELAC BS184, Dali Mentor Menuet) to listen to music as PC-FI. However, I should turn on the PC all the time to listen to music. iPAD2 and cowon iaudio9+ is very good portable music player but lacks output power to handle such headphones as I mentioned above. Also, I want to listen to music better quality outside of my house. I was looking at NWZ-ZX1. But it failed because of output volume and no microSD or SD slots to extend memory capacity. As you know, AK100 and AK120 did not satisfy my taste. However, AK240... I nodded how they perform. UI stability and software were not hard to use and folder searching is familiar with me. native DSD performance was good. But I could not agree with their prices. In Korea, MSRP is 2,780,000 won. about 2,500,000 dollars US. Because of I have listened to m903, HDVD800 and Naim DAC V-1, I could not understand their policy. I understand the differences between those two. But I want to AK240 to be much cheaper. less than 2,000,000 won Korea.

 

Calyx M. I first heard of this product on January this year. They used large LCD (HD AMOLED) which is very good for me to read whole title (especially on classical music. It's too long!! :- ) ) They remove the Wi-Fi slot, instead they plan to SD card slot. 64GB internal memories and external microSD with SD slots supports more than 400GB. Calyx M was the only DAP to support 32bit / 384kHz DXD format and native DSD 64/128. Battery time was another important issues for me. Eventhough the companies have pronounced that it will last 7 hrs of 24bit songs but I did not believe. I prepared my portable batteries before I got my own calyx M. I can't give a good point to calyx M about the battery running time but my first issue was the sound quality. Calyx M met my requirement more than I expected. So I could wait to get my product for 3 months after I send them money. (I could get several chances to listen to calyx M prototype so I knew the sound quality.)

 

Sound is not perfect at this time in some of low level impedance IEMs such as HA-FX800 from JVC and Sony XBA-40. Sennheiser IE800 is OK. I and some other users in Korea has reported this problem to the company and they are now fixing. So I guess the all foreign users can get much improved version of Calyx M I guess. Proper impedance headphones, Calyx M sounds fantastic. I even compare those to Naim DAC V-1. Those two sound quality is comparable to my humble ears.

 

Thank you. :- )

post #2871 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R.A.N.C.E. View Post

Why not look at DX90 and X5? Both are more powerful than the M, their UI isn't bad and their sound quality is so close to TOTL daps that some even prefer them over them. I gotta say, I like my DX90 much better than the ZX1 now that its fully burned in (took 200 hours just to level out!) and the latest firmware took the sound quality up a notch as well. Also agree that the AK100II is one to watch out for!

I have but not too happy about a loads of things except maybe for the X5, I think for FiiO the X7 will be of better interest, at least for me. My gripe with the DX90 is it's the body of a DX50 with a better amp and dacs but otherwise very similar which is what has always bugged me. In a way I wanted a new body, new skin. wink.gif

I like the functions and new UI from iRiver, you can bitch all you want about the price but you can't about the new design, it's exactly as I have envisioned, a better AK240 shape with similar heart and soul.

Let's get the popcorn.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlight View Post

Hmm. actually, as you see from my profile pictures, I own two entry level bookshelf speakers (ELAC BS184, Dali Mentor Menuet) to listen to music as PC-FI. However, I should turn on the PC all the time to listen to music. iPAD2 and cowon iaudio9+ is very good portable music player but lacks output power to handle such headphones as I mentioned above. Also, I want to listen to music better quality outside of my house. I was looking at NWZ-ZX1. But it failed because of output volume and no microSD or SD slots to extend memory capacity. As you know, AK100 and AK120 did not satisfy my taste. However, AK240... I nodded how they perform. UI stability and software were not hard to use and folder searching is familiar with me. native DSD performance was good. But I could not agree with their prices. In Korea, MSRP is 2,780,000 won. about 2,500,000 dollars US. Because of I have listened to m903, HDVD800 and Naim DAC V-1, I could not understand their policy. I understand the differences between those two. But I want to AK240 to be much cheaper. less than 2,000,000 won Korea.

Calyx M. I first heard of this product on January this year. They used large LCD (HD AMOLED) which is very good for me to read whole title (especially on classical music. It's too long!! :- ) ) They remove the Wi-Fi slot, instead they plan to SD card slot. 64GB internal memories and external microSD with SD slots supports more than 400GB. Calyx M was the only DAP to support 32bit / 384kHz DXD format and native DSD 64/128. Battery time was another important issues for me. Eventhough the companies have pronounced that it will last 7 hrs of 24bit songs but I did not believe. I prepared my portable batteries before I got my own calyx M. I can't give a good point to calyx M about the battery running time but my first issue was the sound quality. Calyx M met my requirement more than I expected. So I could wait to get my product for 3 months after I send them money. (I could get several chances to listen to calyx M prototype so I knew the sound quality.)

Sound is not perfect at this time in some of low level impedance IEMs such as HA-FX800 from JVC and Sony XBA-40. Sennheiser IE800 is OK. I and some other users in Korea has reported this problem to the company and they are now fixing. So I guess the all foreign users can get much improved version of Calyx M I guess. Proper impedance headphones, Calyx M sounds fantastic. I even compare those to Naim DAC V-1. Those two sound quality is comparable to my humble ears.

Thank you. :- )

It seems you have similar expectations as we do so maybe the tuned up M might be more attractive to us, something to consider. As far as my interest, it's still there but with a lot of cautions so I'll be waiting a little longer to see what pans out over the summer. Until then hopefully I should be able to get awkwardly by with my humble gear.
Edited by musicheaven - 5/22/14 at 2:02am
post #2872 of 5495

@Maxlight Has folder browsing been added to the latest firmware?


Edited by pekingduck - 5/22/14 at 2:04am
post #2873 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post

I have but not too happy about a loads of things except maybe for the X5, I think for FiiO the X7 will be of better interest, at least for me. My gripe with the DX90 is it's the body of a DX50 with a better amp and dacs but otherwise very similar which is what has always bugged me. In a way I wanted a new body, new skin. wink.gif

I like the functions and new UI from iRiver, you can bitch all you want about the price but you can't about the new design, it's exactly as I have envisioned, a better AK240 shape with similar heart and soul.
Let's get the popcorn.gif
It seems you have similar expectations as we do so maybe the tuned up M might be more attractive to us, something to consider. As far as my interest, it's still there but with a lot of cautions so I'll be waiting a little longer to see what pans out over the summer. Until then hopefully I should be able to get awkwardly by with my humble gear.

 

So sound wise do you favor the X5 or DX90 or both? As for the AK100II design, I say what design? Its basically a rectangular brick with a volume wheel :D I was really hoping the release of the M would have been the cause of rave reviews and hype to cause me to buy one on the spot, but instead we got... well you know, lol, so I got a DX90 , and I'm glad I did.

post #2874 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlight View Post


....

Sound is not perfect at this time in some of low level impedance IEMs such as HA-FX800 from JVC and Sony XBA-40. Sennheiser IE800 is OK. I and some other users in Korea has reported this problem to the company and they are now fixing. So I guess the all foreign users can get much improved version of Calyx M I guess. Proper impedance headphones, Calyx M sounds fantastic. I even compare those to Naim DAC V-1. Those two sound quality is comparable to my humble ears.

Thank you. :- )

Thank maxlight for taking the time and effort to share! I do agree the sound with IEMs I tried are a bit too dense and heavy not to my liking. It is encouraging to hear it seems to perform better with full size headphones. Hope they will be able to fix the sound with IEM and sensitive phones else it would really be a missed opportunity for them. Majority of my friends have been looking at this for portable and IEM use only. Or maybe I should wait for an M.2 when all these UI, battery, and sound issues are fixed.
post #2875 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R.A.N.C.E. View Post

So sound wise do you favor the X5 or DX90 or both? As for the AK100II design, I say what design? Its basically a rectangular brick with a volume wheel biggrin.gif  I was really hoping the release of the M would have been the cause of rave reviews and hype to cause me to buy one on the spot, but instead we got... well you know, lol, so I got a DX90 , and I'm glad I did.

Sound wise both are enjoyable and also relatively portable, no amps needed but none are perfect expectation wise. As far as the AK100 II, there is a lot to say about simple lines and that's what the model portrays but also the size, it's truly portable and it is balanced and it's wireless need I say more!

While people will whine about the absurd pricing they set the totl daps at, they'll keep reaping design awards and making money. The iRiver train unfortunately as it stands is just unstoppable and they know it. As I said at a few occasions that is a spot hard to keep in place, one day or another they'll find their match and it will be arriving soon, for now it seems they have the edge. Enough of the dominator (or wish they would) of the portable audiophile world. biggrin.gif
post #2876 of 5495

The only thing I'm worried about with the AK100II is that iriver will  lower its performance beyond simply removing 1 dac to also make the AK120II an attractive proposition. Unless I'm mistaken, the AK120 had a clear sonic advantage over the AK100. But I'm sure that a single dac solution can be 99% as good as a dual dac if care is taken, but I don't think iriver will want the AK100II to sit too close to the AK120II so they will maybe take some "measures"...

post #2877 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R.A.N.C.E. View Post

The only thing I'm worried about with the AK100II is that iriver will  lower its performance beyond simply removing 1 dac to also make the AK120II an attractive proposition. Unless I'm mistaken, the AK120 had a clear sonic advantage over the AK100. But I'm sure that a single dac solution can be 99% as good as a dual dac if care is taken, but I don't think iriver will want the AK100II to sit too close to the AK120II so they will maybe take some "measures"...

The AK100MK2 has little difference compared to AK120 though. Difference is more noticeable on full sized open cans and speakers.
post #2878 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R.A.N.C.E. View Post

The only thing I'm worried about with the AK100II is that iriver will  lower its performance beyond simply removing 1 dac to also make the AK120II an attractive proposition. Unless I'm mistaken, the AK120 had a clear sonic advantage over the AK100. But I'm sure that a single dac solution can be 99% as good as a dual dac if care is taken, but I don't think iriver will want the AK100II to sit too close to the AK120II so they will maybe take some "measures"...

It's my main fear as well, you got to make sure you have some high end market available else they will cannibalize their products but I got to say they don't make it easy for their buyers to differentiate their products insisting more on price differentiator. frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanter View Post

The AK100MK2 has little difference compared to AK120 though. Difference is more noticeable on full sized open cans and speakers.

We were talking about the double I (II) products and not the Mark 2 and the older lines. wink.gif
Edited by musicheaven - 5/22/14 at 4:47am
post #2879 of 5495

I thought this was a Calyx M discussion? 

post #2880 of 5495
I think I can live with the idea of stacking an external battery pack (not optimal). My remaining fear is the "ticking" sound, i hope this is not true
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage