Nah you're just creating special rules for different devices based on size and price. Apples to oranges would be comparing the M to my big rig which can't be used where the M can no matter how much I'd like to.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Ray Samuels Dark Star vs Cavalli Liquid Gold Last post on 12/12/16 at 7:49am in High-end Audio Forum
- Identifying Audeze LCD-3 with Fazors Last post on 3/2/16 at 2:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I need recommendations for headphone amps/dacs Last post on 5/22/15 at 12:22pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- [WANTED] HiFiMan HM-901 Last post on 2/10/15 at 8:41am in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- $1000 budget, should I go open or closed? Last post on 12/17/16 at 10:48am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 11/28/16
Introduction I have owned these headphones for four years now. These were my first decent pair that I researched before buying. Before this I had just bought inexpensive headphones that happened...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we're going to be checking out a wireless Bluetooth speaker from Archeer, the A320. Archeer sells a pretty wide variety of products like cellphone cases, headphones,...
Introduction – Everyone knows earbuds, those cheap, tinny sounding throwaways included with almost every mp3 player. So then, it may come as a surprise that earbuds are making a comeback and not...
The Oriveti BASIC: A dark and inviting entry-level offering into higher level audio BASIC was provided to me free of charge in exchange for feedback and review -- I am in no way affiliated with...
Focal Utopia By: Dillan Archer Photographs by: Regan Hulvey Introduction I have spent the greater part of my evenings the last few days (and this morning) listening and...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage - Page 190
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hugo owners definitely insist it sounds better than AK240 sonically and as an AK240 owner myself who has auditioned also the Hugo, I do not dispute their claims. Hugo is definitely excellent, only 3 main issues I have against it short of buying Hugo myself is that
1) It has no balanced in/out.
2) It is not a DAP.
3) It shines when used with cans versus AK240, but not so much when used with IEMs and I only use IEMs exclusively.
Thus, you will definitely need to pile a transport device on top of it and end up with a stack. Hugo in itself is already a little too big for a pocketable portable device, let alone stacking another device onto it.
Ok, enough of Hugo vs AK240 talk. Let's not get OT.
Nope. You may use them differently but I wouldn't. Meaning both are on the list of devices I would consider if I needed a device or several devices to have one rig at home, the commute and office. Meaning on top of portable use it's also a fully functional usb dac. The AK240, a Hugo or Cypher stack and X5 also make that list.
As you can imagine, I would love the M to be competitive with the above since out of my options it and the AK240 are the ones with the best quality of life. Add that the M is 40% the cost of the AK240 and it would be a no brainer. The X5 is even less but like the DX90 isn't likely to compete at that level though should be very close to each other given aside from dac chip choice they are more or less clones of each other. The X5 does make better design choices on paper. Especially in its usb dac implementation. But it's ugly :P
Edited by Solude - 5/19/14 at 11:10am
If the M can not last for more than 4 or 5 hours, that'd mean you need either a portable charger or another unit, hurting it's portability.
Well, we're being spoiled-for-choice, as 2014 unfolds...
(thanks to AmberOzl for the link)
look what is happening in the industry/marketplace:
- Ayre Acoustics (quite a serious name in fullsize hi-fi DACs) gets on-board with the PONO (not great, but still, the point is that they are a serious fullsize hi-fi maker taking an interest in the portable/headphone market).
- Digital & Analog (well-regarded for their fullsize mid-high-end 'Femto' DAC) enter the fray with a serious attempt at the TOTL audiophile DAP market - looks now like it might not be as good as hoped, but it may yet surprise us, as more reviews appear, and as it finally achieves international release. And, if nothing else, it may be a stepping-stone to something awesome with a subsequent model, if they decide to learn from the M and produce something even better.
- Chord Electronics (a very serious name in high-end fullsize hi-fi) releases a ground-breaking portable DAC-Amp aimed primarily at headphone users, but with a performance that actually exceeds their fullsize flagship DAC costing 10x more. That is absolutely unheard of, in both senses of the word.
- Light Harmonic (a company world-famous for producing an uber-high-end DAC, which is renowned as one of the absolute best in the world) is producing a high-end DAP at a mid-range (in audiophile terms) price.
Things are hotting-up in a way none of us head-fiers could have seriously anticipated, just 12months ago. It's one thing to see iBasso and Fiio make better and better DAPs (which is a wonderful thing in itself), but to also see some extremely serious and well-established fullsize audiophile brands enter the portable gear marketplace is really excellent for all of us portable audiophiles.
Who knows what may be next?
I'm really looking forward to seeing something portable from Naim, before long (I don't know for certain, but I'm confident it will happen, since Chord and Meridian have already entered the headphone-centric market). I'm not saying it will necessarily be a DAP, but who knows what the near future will bring - Apple's dominance in the DAP world cannot last forever, particularly as they are no longer innovating and are just being run by a board of bean-counters, it seems, since SJ's demise. I daresay Apple will release a hi-res-capable DAP fairly soon (it's inevitable), but how seriously they will take it, in terms of audiophile circuitry, remains to be seen and they've done nothing to enthuse me in the past 5 years, on that count.
I hope D&A hurry up and release the M internationally - the clock is ticking, and I genuinely wish them to see an acceptable return on their investment. Broadly-speaking, it's in everyone's interests for audiophile DAP projects from boutique companies to succeed, so that the marketplace can flourish and evolve.
...just out of curiosity, who, here, has actually ordered a Calyx-M outside of Korea?
I think I saw a couple of people in Australia say they were actually buying one.
I guess until a USA and a Europe-wide distributor is announced, sales won't be very numerous.
Any day now, we should hear some news about these distributors from D&A - if they are wise.
Given we can't... not too many? Unfortunately online stores that do have it as pre-order won't ship out of their territory.
As you know, there's generally a way around such limitations, which is why I went ahead and asked, but you are finding that they've got things sewn-up pretty tight, then?
Oh well, won't be much longer, anyway...
I was close to pre-ordering a few weeks back, but decided to go with a DX90 instead. I just can't imagine the M sounding much better than the DX90, as its pretty sweet. If a couple people compare the M with a DX90 and find the M to be better I will probably buy one to see for myself. Currently I'm doubting it.
- $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 32 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 35 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX200 Firmware Modification Project 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 2 minutes ago
- › Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › COMING SOON: Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth,... 3 minutes ago
- › Denon AHD2000 help wanted service for new input jack 4 minutes ago
- › Echo Indigo 4 minutes ago
- › Headphone upgrade that pounds - upgrade from Philips X2 5 minutes ago
- › AKG K240 MKII Headphones by Napalmhardcore
- › ARCHEER 25W Bluetooth Home Speakers with Huge Bass and Superior... by B9Scrambler
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by ryanjsoo
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by ustinj
- › Focal Utopia by Dillan
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear