or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage - Page 164

post #2446 of 5495

In response to the question    "Are the demo models in HongKong and Singapore the same as the production model ?"

 

On Facebook     "That is just for check of sound quality for the regional distributor. Retail product is much better."

post #2447 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauntere View Post
 

 

On Facebook     "That is just for check of sound quality for the regional distributor. Retail product is much better."

 

 

IF that is true, then, for what possible reason would any sane company distribute sub-par-sounding demonstration devices to their distributors? If the retail product has different SQ, then listening to a sub-par device serves no practical purpose. It's a waste of time.

 

Are they trying to dissuade people from buying their device? :eek::blink::confused:

 

I am one of the few people here who is remaining optimistic about the SQ, in spite of lacklustre impressions recently being posted, but this kind of business behaviour continues the erratic path already witnessed, in recent months, and does them no favours.

.


Edited by Mython - 5/3/14 at 6:20am
post #2448 of 5495

Basically no chance the batch with the changes from this month is different than the batch they sell.  If the demo models were the previous model then they could make claims.  At best they'll have a new firmware on release.  The side buttons and slider will be brown too.  What they said supports that too.  They say they were sent for sound purposes hence sound won't change.  But the UI and casing... much better ;)

post #2449 of 5495

I have to agree with @Mython it does not make sense releasing a sub-par, certainly not the way I would impress anyone. Not sure what to think at this stage, my enthusiasm is slowly fading away. Somehow someone would have to declare this player worth its price, right now I don't feel it. I hope I am wrong.

post #2450 of 5495

Let's take it down a notch.  Calyx isn't Fiio or iBasso.  A $995 player from a company that sells at a premium should be compared to similar companies.  It has to be better than the AK100 Mk2 and Sony ZX1, equal the DX90 and X5.  Anything more than that is gravy.  Now if a value leader releases a $995 player... yes... world beater.

post #2451 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

Let's take it down a notch.  Calyx isn't Fiio or iBasso.  A $995 player from a company that sells at a premium should be compared to similar companies.  It has to be better than the AK100 Mk2 and Sony ZX1, equal the DX90 and X5.  Anything more than that is gravy.  Now if a value leader releases a $995 player... yes... world beater.

 

 

No, although I respect your reasoning, I disagree.

 

It is not acceptable to simply excuse a company for 'selling at a premium' and say that their $995 product should be expected to perform at the same level as a DX90 or X5.

 

 

Companies who sell at a premium should be held to account and expected to fully justify the premiums they exact from their customers.

 

Screen and build quality count for something, but not $576 more than DX90.

 

I am still optimistic that the M will justify its asking price, but if it doesn't, then I will not respect the pricing.

post #2452 of 5495
who is value leader?

btw, is there someone who auditioned well M player? because i sense people are discussing some hot air and not DAP.

curious when M will reach shops so we can have really hands on impressions. i still hope M will be good enough because ak240 is highway robbery. meanwhile i am more interested in new Tralucents Ref1 and DA1, at least i know what i can expect wink.gif
post #2453 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

who is value leader?

btw, is there someone who auditioned well M player? because i sense people are discussing some hot air and not DAP.

curious when M will reach shops so we can have really hands on impressions. i still hope M will be good enough because ak240 is highway robbery. meanwhile i am more interested in new Tralucents Ref1 and DA1, at least i know what i can expect wink.gif

If you go back a page or two, you can see someone has already bought one (in Hong Kong) and posted some initial impressions

post #2454 of 5495

I would like the M comparisons with DX90 and X5.  I'm leaning more toward DX90 since I like ESS chip(I know it's not all about the chip :D).  I want to wait out until the bugs are cleared out and the usb DAC functionality is in place.  If I wanted to go all out I would go for the 901 or the 120 or 240, but I need to audition them to know exactly which one is the best.

post #2455 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

No, although I respect your reasoning, I disagree.

 

We should strive to get the most for the least... companies unfortunately do the same ;)

post #2456 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

 

IF that is true, then, for what possible reason would any sane company distribute sub-par-sounding demonstration devices to their distributors? If the retail product has different SQ, then listening to a sub-par device serves no practical purpose. It's a waste of time.

 

Are they trying to dissuade people from buying their device? :eek::blink::confused:

 

I am one of the few people here who is remaining optimistic about the SQ, in spite of lacklustre impressions recently being posted, but this kind of business behaviour continues the erratic path already witnessed, in recent months, and does them no favours.

.

 

You have misunderstood the quote..   They are saying the sound quality IS the same. They are saying the fit and finish, cosmetics etc will be improved on the commercially available units.

post #2457 of 5495
pekin, i saw all of them but felt not convinced because all these dudes had only brief moments with M and not enough time to make proper compare.

so lets be patient to hear, currently M and Cowon P1 are high on my watch list because alternative is soooo expensive and is called ak240
post #2458 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauntere View Post
 

 

You have misunderstood the quote..   They are saying the sound quality IS the same. They are saying the fit and finish, cosmetics etc will be improved on the commercially available units.

 

 

 

Hmmm... OK, thankyou for setting me straight on that. I can see that there is more than one possible interpretation of the quote.

 

At least that makes sense that they would not send a sub-par-sounding device to their distributors (and I'm glad if they didn't do something crazy like that), but, on the other hand, I hope the SQ is better than those few people who have demo'd it seem to be suggesting. But I wouldn't personally rely upon a pair of MH335s to determine the neutrality or warmth of a player (that's not a dig at that individual; just an observation about the well-known bass-emphasis of the MH335). As for the Roxannes...well, they have user-adjustable bass response, so, again, they are not a reliable benchmark for ascertaining the neutrality or warmth of a DAP. Again, nothing personal against that different individual; just an observation.

 

D&A seem to be so obsessive about this device (I mean that as a compliment :wink:) that I would be amazed (really, genuinely amazed) if the SQ is not TOTL excellent with CIEMs.

 

Just to lay my cards on the table, my personal reasons for being more interested in the DX90 than in the M is because of 140g vs 230g, quick-swap battery, more compact, digital-out, and DX90 does not have a volume slider.

 

I have been very critical of certain aspects of the design of the M, as it has evolved, over the past few months, but one thing I have not had any particular reason to doubt is the probable sound quality of this device. I also really like the Ms GUI, in particular it's handling of multiple dynamic playlists, which is something I really miss from my otherwise-awful iPod Classic.

 

 

.


Edited by Mython - 5/3/14 at 7:15am
post #2459 of 5495

Is the sample size a good number? And do they have varieties of backgrounds, and not only from Vietnam.  :D

post #2460 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

Is the sample size a good number? And do they have varieties of backgrounds, and not only from Vietnam.  :D


 LOL.  I am one of the people here who knows exactly what you are referring to!  (and for those who do not know what the Vietnam reference is about, please rest assured that it is not at all a xenophobic remark - it relates to a specific couple of posts in another thread, recently, from more than one Vietnamese posters, all of which were deleted by moderators for possibly being... err.... 'dubiously motivated').

 

 

Anyway, it was not related to the Calyx-M, thankfully :bigsmile_face:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage