or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage - Page 163

post #2431 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post
 

Recently posted on their FB page:

 

"On my mark. Count-down.

The killer DAP is coming."

 

Everyone's wallets ready? :biggrin: 

 

"The killer DAP" - hmmm, I believe that has yet to be confirmed in any manner - might be true (whatever that means), might be false.

post #2432 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercer View Post
 

 

"The killer DAP" - hmmm, I believe that has yet to be confirmed in any manner - might be true (whatever that means), might be false.

 

Oh I didn't post that on FB, Calyx did hahaha

 

At this point (in regards to the impressions given so far), my hopes of the M being the "killer DAP" that calyx claims it to be are diminishing, but we shall see.

 

Maybe I'll just end having to rob a bank for a RWAK240+ :tongue_smile:


Edited by zachchen1996 - 5/2/14 at 11:21pm
post #2433 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post
 

 

Oh I didn't post that on FB, Calyx did hahaha

 

At this point (in regards to the impressions given so far), my hopes of the M being the "killer DAP" that calyx claims it to be are diminishing, but we shall see.

 

Maybe I'll just end having to rob a bank for a RWAK240+ :tongue_smile:

 

Well without the robbing the bank bit the AK 240 is looking like a thing. I didn't want to go there but it kind of seems inevitable. Unless the DX90 is THAT good. Still, it is early days as far as M impressions go.

post #2434 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauntere View Post
 

 

Well without the robbing the bank bit the AK 240 is looking like a thing. I didn't want to go there but it kind of seems inevitable. Unless the DX90 is THAT good. Still, it is early days as far as M impressions go.

 

I have to admit, the ak240 seems to be an extremely well engineered / thought out DAP, but I'd personally rather not give AK my money and would rather give it to a company like FiiO. But if it comes down to it, maybe I'll just have to pony up and save for a rwak240.

post #2435 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post
 

 

I have to admit, the ak240 seems to be an extremely well engineered / thought out DAP, but I'd personally rather not give AK my money and would rather give it to a company like FiiO. But if it comes down to it, maybe I'll just have to pony up and save for a rwak240.

 

"but I'd personally rather not give AK my money and would rather give it to a company like FiiO" - Why?

post #2436 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear View Post


It is not the same idea. Sauntere is saying the M does not WOW because it sounds natural. I am saying natural is what usually WOW listeners. Neutral/artificial and flat is what usually bores people. So if you read carefully, I am actually stating the opposite idea as his. Not the same idea phrased differently.

 

Is natural and neutral not the same thing? I take both of them to mean lifelike?

post #2437 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH13 View Post

Is natural and neutral not the same thing? I take both of them to mean lifelike?

For me I take natural more as describing timbre that is organic and lifelike, while neutral is describing a flat frequency response that don't add coloration to the signal outputted from the DAP/AMP.
post #2438 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

Thanks for your pre-view.  I will be interested if you could explain on the UI that you like less than the ZX1's UI.  Indeed, for me the M UI was one very strong point.  Isn't it finally that good ?  lag ? 

The UI is nothing to shout about, compared to the ZX1 Android-based UI. In fact, I dare to say the AK240's UI is miles better and 240's sq is also much better (but not a thousand bucks better)
It's just lagging, and the touchscreen is not uber sensitive like the Sony's.
As it stands now, I'll take the much cheaper fixed storage and non-DSD capable Sony over the M
Edited by akhyar - 5/3/14 at 3:19am
post #2439 of 5495

I thought that after the latest FW upgrade the ZX1 now does support DSD?! Or am I confused with a soon the be released FW update? I thought it had been done / is imminent.


Edited by the wizard of oz - 5/3/14 at 3:26am
post #2440 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhyar View Post


The UI is nothing to shout about, compared to the ZX1 Android-based UI. In fact, I dare to say the AK240's UI is miles better and 240's sq is also much better (but not a thousand bucks better)
It's just lagging, and the touchscreen is not uber sensitive like the Sony's.
As it stands now, I'll take the much cheaper fixed storage and non-DSD capable Sony over the M

 

"AK240's UI is miles better" !!   very disapointing !  The "marketing videos" of the M were showing a very appealing UI !:confused:... I believe part of the problem is with the low power CPU they choose.

 

AHHHH if only the Sony ZX had a 256 Gb version  or a SD slot !!!

post #2441 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercer View Post
 

 

"but I'd personally rather not give AK my money and would rather give it to a company like FiiO" - Why?

 

 

With the greatest of respect, you've been around a while so you know you do not need to ask that - you already know the reason why many people dislike iRiver.

 

 

 

 

 

 

As for the M's SQ, I haven't lost faith in it yet (although, for reasons not related to SQ, I will most probably be getting a DX90 instead).

post #2442 of 5495

Unbelievable in this day and age, and with competition building, if UI is noticeably lagging. At this price.

post #2443 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH13 View Post
 

Unbelievable in this day and age, and with competition building, if UI is noticeably lagging. At this price.


What does a laggy UI matter when you have something as cool as a magnetic-slider volume control :rolleyes:

post #2444 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post
 


What does a laggy UI matter when you have something as cool as a magnetic-slider volume control :rolleyes:

:beerchug: Got your point and completely agree with you.

post #2445 of 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

 

With the greatest of respect, you've been around a while so you know you do not need to ask that - you already know the reason why many people dislike iRiver.

 

For me it's that iRiver has no service department.  I have been trying to get service on my AK100 Mk2 for nearly six weeks.  iRiver NA has yet to reply, iRiver EU passed me to iRiver Asia, iRiver Asia asked me to repeat the problem and hasn't replied in nearly two weeks.  Not exactly the experience that has me running off to buy their AK240 :P

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage