Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage - Page 14

post #196 of 4297
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

What is wrong with that dap producers? They just can't apply a basic rule can they? AK goes for 3 ohm too, now Calyx. I am all fine with it actually, there are companies like FiiO anyway.

Well... For low Ohm IEM we willl need to have it " Mod ": a RW-M version ? :-)
post #197 of 4297
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post


Well... For low Ohm IEM we willl need to have it " Mod ": a RW-M version ? :-)


Too much unnecessary cost, you already pay 1k for a dap and in order to use it with pretty much everything in the market, you gotta pay extra? Well, that's a big NO for me. I can understand RWA's mod for disabling headphone out and making it true line out, that one has a purpose but need of reducing OI is simply just a joke and design flaw IMO.

 

If I had money to buy, I would probably go for AK120-S mod and get a TOTL amp to pair with it but as I said, the dap itself is already expensive, I don't see the point.

 

On the other hand, look at X5, it has line out already, I can basically link it to TOTL amps like Analog Squared Paper amps or Wagnus Epsilon S. If you don't want extra thickness, it has less than 1 OI, so you are safe to use it with whatever you want.

post #198 of 4297
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post


Too much unnecessary cost, you already pay 1k for a dap and in order to use it with pretty much everything in the market, you gotta pay extra? Well, that's a big NO for me. I can understand RWA's mod for disabling headphone out and making it true line out, that one has a purpose but need of reducing OI is simply just a joke and design flaw IMO.

If I had money to buy, I would probably go for AK120-S mod and get a TOTL amp to pair with it but as I said, the dap itself is already expensive, I don't see the point.

On the other hand, look at X5, it has line out already, I can basically link it to TOTL amps like Analog Squared Paper amps or Wagnus Epsilon S. If you don't want extra thickness, it has less than 1 OI, so you are safe to use it with whatever you want.
+1
post #199 of 4297

There will be a pre-sale discount next week for the Calyx M

gahhh... i.. must... refrainnn... 

post #200 of 4297

3-Ohm, damn if true I fold. Seriously?

post #201 of 4297

The information in here says 3 ohms but if you have a Facebook account, apparently you can ask them on their FB page (I don't have an account). I am still curious and waiting the full specs to be revealed.

post #202 of 4297
calyx:
The output power is 70mW+70mW @ 16Ohm
post #203 of 4297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post

calyx:
The output power is 70mW+70mW @ 16Ohm

Higher than ZX1.

 

Btw, any information regarding to world wide availability?

post #204 of 4297
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post
 

3-Ohm, damn if true I fold. Seriously?

 

yep, i've just asked them directly on FB and here their answer "yes that is true. With battery powered, 0 ohm output has some problem..."

 

anw, this DAP is still so promising, really look forward to trying it

post #205 of 4297

1 ohm could have been pretty good. We are not asking 0 ohm. Just can't understand why they can't make it considering many DAPs and portable amps right now already offer < 1 ohm.

 

If they are thinking people are already using external amp to fix this or a mod, then it's just a me too offering. I will stick to what I have for now.

post #206 of 4297

Because their knowledge of what the customer wants in this market is nil. Seems like the same mistakes being made over and over. Although a 3 ohm OI is not that bad.


Edited by Greed - 12/27/13 at 9:04am
post #207 of 4297

3 ohms is not bad indeed but not good on low impedance phone. Bass response to be exact changes on JH16 for example.

post #208 of 4297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post
 

Because their knowledge of what the customer wants in this market is nil. Seems like the same mistakes being made over and over. Although a 3 ohm OI is not that bad.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post
 

1 ohm could have been pretty good. We are not asking 0 ohm. Just can't understand why they can't make it considering many DAPs and portable amps right now already offer < 1 ohm.

 

If they are thinking people are already using external amp to fix this or a mod, then it's just a me too offering. I will stick to what I have for now.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post
 

3 ohms is not bad indeed but not good on low impedance phone. Bass response to be exact changes on JH16 for example.

 

 

Yeah, seems like Calyx are coming from a desktop gear background, and unwisely presuming their DAP will be used with 'desktop' headphones.

 

It may be a challenge to achieve sufficient stability in the amp circuit, at low OI, but what is the point in engineering a whole high-end DAP if you're not prepared to deal with the engineering challenge of ensuring it will work correctly with high-end CIEMs?

 

 

Such a pity.


Edited by Mython - 12/27/13 at 12:55pm
post #209 of 4297
guys, how critical is 3 ohm impedance for IEMs? i believe ak100 had much worse than that so Red Wine Audio and Vinnie came to help us, but when we talk about 3 ohm do you see similar troubles??? I am just asking, no self opinion on the issue.
post #210 of 4297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

guys, how critical is 3 ohm impedance for IEMs? i believe ak100 had much worse than that so Red Wine Audio and Vinnie came to help us, but when we talk about 3 ohm do you see similar troubles??? I am just asking, no self opinion on the issue.

 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance

 

 

It is not uncommon for some Multi-BA CIEMs to drop well below 20 Ω at some parts of the frequency spectrum.

 

Here's one example:

 

http://en.goldenears.net/6364


Edited by Mython - 12/27/13 at 3:48pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage