or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage - Page 117

post #1741 of 5502
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post
 

SQ trumps everything. As long as the SQ is a substantial improvement, M is still a good value. Using a digital out means limiting your DAP to a merely storage device. You can pick up a cheap DAP which support this already. Using this function means you are listening at home or in one place, not on a walkabout, on a train or a bus with which small/thin form factor and simplicity makes more sense.

 

This is becoming a chicken and egg discussion, I understand options are nice, but we need to understand what the M is designed for. I'm guessing everyone will agree that Calyx is aiming for the best "portable" and pocketable DAP.

Thank you. It would be nice if these HCore people would get that and stop trying to turn every single new DAP into the same thing. This is meant for people who want a POCKETABLE PORTABLE all in one solution, NOT you transportabearing hardcores...... sheesh.

 

Besides this is practically Calyx's baby. Dam right they are gonna get blunt and mad that you guys keep trying and prying to turn the M into something it simply wasn't conceived to be in the first place. Criticism, constructive of not only goes so far no matter the situation (i could hammer away at trying to get them to give it a few more goodies too but I'm not :deadhorse: like a lot of you.

post #1742 of 5502
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3Seeker View Post
 

Thank you. It would be nice if these HCore people would get that and stop trying to turn every single new DAP into the same thing. This is meant for people who want a POCKETABLE PORTABLE all in one solution, NOT you transportabearing hardcores...... sheesh.

 

Besides this is practically Calyx's baby. Dam right they are gonna get blunt and mad that you guys keep trying and prying to turn the M into something it simply wasn't conceived to be in the first place. Criticism, constructive of not only goes so far no matter the situation (i could hammer away at trying to get them to give it a few more goodies too but I'm not :deadhorse: like a lot of you.

 

Agreed,   My only wish for the Calyx is that it sounds superb with IEMs and that's it.  My expectation is that it will. 

post #1743 of 5502
Who's getting my moula, Calyx or iBasso?
post #1744 of 5502

The more I use my Roxane, the more I like them.  Even from my simple RWAK100, I hear in my music things (new instruments, echo...) that I did not hear before, EVEN WITH MY TH900 !!

 

So, this put pressure on my to "upgrade" my source RWAK100. But... I do not want to plunge for the AK240 until I hear comparaison between the AK240 and the Caly-M....  Ahhh....

post #1745 of 5502

It's a two horse raise for me DX90 and M

post #1746 of 5502
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post
 

It's a two horse raise for me DX90 and M

interesting. To each their own. My understanding DX90 is only capable of one memory card or more importantly 128gb max for now. I would argue fiio x5 is a stronger competitor.

post #1747 of 5502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenook View Post
 

interesting. To each their own. My understanding DX90 is only capable of one memory card or more importantly 128gb max for now. I would argue fiio x5 is a stronger competitor.

 

You always miss or overlook the first and rule everything out feature, "SQ".

 

You can work around shortage/lack of storage but not SQ. You have to consider a 128GB microSD is already available.

 

If M is better than DX90 or at least at the same level then the sum of it's features lacking in DX90 will make it easier to justify the price difference. However, if DX90 is better SQ-wise you will never convince me to choose M even if you add 100 more features to it. Unless, the pre-order price is too good to miss out. :L3000:

post #1748 of 5502
I don't quite see how the X5 would be a direct competitor to either the D90 or Calyx M. The later are both an implementation of the Sabre dac as opposed to the PCM1792 dac used in the X5.
post #1749 of 5502
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

I can understand wanting digital out if you only want to own one portable player and want to use it stand alone when out and about, then connect it to a Hugo or other desktop stuff when at home.
Exactly my case, if it had a LO, I would have sold ZX1 and 901 and kept the Calyx for higher capacity and good UI. But I want a DAP that is great on the go and works with the Hugo.
post #1750 of 5502
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post

I don't quite see how the X5 would be a direct competitor to either the D90 or Calyx M. The later are both an implementation of the Sabre dac as opposed to the PCM1792 dac used in the X5.

 

 

 

Oh I am sorry. I misunderstood. Of course there is no other dac in the world better than sabre DACs. If something uses saber dacs it must be better. That's like saying Microsoft OS is better than Mac OSX or better than UBuntu as an operating system. 

 

 

Everyone has their preferences. I won't go into the complaining about one dac or other as they are riddled throughout headfi. Time will tell what is better to ears of audiophiles.

post #1751 of 5502
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post
 

 

You always miss or overlook the first and rule everything out feature, "SQ".

 

You can work around shortage/lack of storage but not SQ. You have to consider a 128GB microSD is already available.

 

If M is better than DX90 or at least at the same level then the sum of it's features lacking in DX90 will make it easier to justify the price difference. However, if DX90 is better SQ-wise you will never convince me to choose M even if you add 100 more features to it. Unless, the pre-order price is too good to miss out. :L3000:

Well I do agree with your SQ assessment. I would however note the SQ has been well reviewed by headfiers here as it relates to x5. Not much in the way of sq tours and testing for dx90 and calyx. Who knows, might get all 3 but I like what I see with the x5 and hope the dx90 and dx100 successor is great. waiting....

post #1752 of 5502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenook View Post



Oh I am sorry. I misunderstood. Of course there is no other dac in the world better than sabre DACs. If something uses saber dacs it must be better. That's like saying Microsoft OS is better than Mac OSX or better than UBuntu as an operating system. 


Everyone has their preferences. I won't go into the complaining about one dac or other as they are riddled throughout headfi. Time will tell what is better to ears of audiophiles.

Interesting you brought operating systems in the picture, actually I prefer Mac OS than Windows even more when comparing to Windows 8.1 but that's the subject of another site, another thread.

Calyx apparently has a knack to implement the sabre dac nicely in their designs, so let's see. It's been reported that the sabre dac is difficult to implement so can't wait to see the end result.

Long live the Sabre Dacs! biggrin.gif
Edited by musicheaven - 3/10/14 at 3:49pm
post #1753 of 5502

Still no news on the international pre-order:(

post #1754 of 5502
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanCandel View Post
 

Still no news on the international pre-order:(

No, they need some time to prepare, just for us, a "special HeadFiers edition", with : Digital out Coax + Digital out Toshlink + Pure balanced LO +  100 bands EQ  + Rotary volume pot :D 


Edited by bmichels - 3/10/14 at 3:47pm
post #1755 of 5502

DELETE


Edited by Mython - 4/1/14 at 4:39pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage