Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage - Page 116

post #1726 of 4156

DELETE


Edited by Mython - 4/1/14 at 4:40pm
post #1727 of 4156

I don't mind the "no-line out/coax out", nor the differentiate market pricing that much.  I guess that put me in the minority..... 

 

However I do mind that there is virtually no real life photos nor any extended impression/description of the sound signature of the damn thing during the pre-order window.  I would have arranged a demo tour like Fiiio did for X5 if I'm really that confident in the SQ... the lack of info, to me, signaled otherwise.... 


Edited by kkcc - 3/9/14 at 10:29am
post #1728 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post
 

I don't mind the "no-line out/coax out", nor the differentiate market pricing that much.  I guess that put me in the minority..... 

 

However I do mind that there is virtually no real life photos nor any extended impression/description of the sound signature of the damn thing during the pre-order window.  I would have arranged a demo tour like Fiiio did for X5 if I'm really that confident in the SQ... the lack of info, to me, signaled otherwise.... 

 

Pretty sure there have been a few videos showing the final product. Photos and impressions, I agree it is limited. 

post #1729 of 4156

DELETE


Edited by Mython - 4/1/14 at 4:40pm
post #1730 of 4156

The coax and line out isn't required for using the DAP mobile, I know I don't need it for that, or why would I buy a portable dap. But daps with storage offer a nice solution if you want to listen at home on something that improves the sound further. So you have in hand a great storage device and you can dial in your music. Why not have the option that most daps offer. The iRiver H120/H140 had optical out, which offered a nice way to go or a line out for a better amp section. Options are what mobile is often about. Using the HO, means you are going through an amp section, which isn't always optimum. But hey, the Calyx M isn't out yet so maybe people will be so happy . . . . nah. . .with mobile it is nice to have functionality IMO. M for mobile and multi functionality. Although these days, the M stands for money to some dap manufactures. 

 

I think that if the Calx M fits the bill then go for it. I was seriously thinking about it but enjoy options. 


Edited by jamato8 - 3/9/14 at 11:51am
post #1731 of 4156

If it's actually better than their 24/192, which remains to be seen, a tos out into any DAC should be below what's inboard. I know that I'd never use tos for top home kit. Until we hear it from its 3.5mm analog output, no one knows what should have been offered.. 

post #1732 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
 

The coax and line out isn't required for using the DAP mobile, I know I don't need it for that, or why would I buy a portable dap. But daps with storage offer a nice solution if you want to listen at home on something that improves the sound further. So you have in hand a great storage device and you can dial in your music. Why not have the option that most daps offer. The iRiver H120/H140 had optical out, which offered a nice way to go or a line out for a better amp section. Options are what mobile is often about. Using the HO, means you are going through an amp section, which isn't always optimum. But hey, the Calyx M isn't out yet so maybe people will be so happy . . . . nah. . .with mobile it is nice to have functionality IMO. M for mobile and multi functionality. Although these days, the M stands for money to some dap manufactures.

 

I think that if the Calx M fits the bill then go for it. I was seriously thinking about it but enjoy options.

 

I really don't understand this. You already have so many DAPs that have digital out for home use. You could probably feed five DACs simultaneously. So why must every new DAP be the one to 'in the darkness bind them '? You strike me as a perfect candidate to appreciate a truly high end portable player that just does that well.

 

Speaking for myself, I have coaxial out on my X5 already - and don't even use it currently - so I don't care about it on the M.

 

I think that my DX50 also has a digital out. Someday I might check. ;-)

post #1733 of 4156
I can understand wanting digital out if you only want to own one portable player and want to use it stand alone when out and about, then connect it to a Hugo or other desktop stuff when at home. It just makes it more versatile. By no means necessary but I do think it can limit potential buyers. But in most head-fi cases many around here have multiple players to fit different scenarios anyway.
post #1734 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post
 

 

I really don't understand this. You already have so many DAPs that have digital out for home use. You could probably feed five DACs simultaneously. So why must every new DAP be the one to 'in the darkness bind them '? You strike me as a perfect candidate to appreciate a truly high end portable player that just does that well.

 

Speaking for myself, I have coaxial out on my X5 already - and don't even use it currently - so I don't care about it on the M.

 

I think that my DX50 also has a digital out. Someday I might check. ;-)

Besides the daps I have listed, I have a few more and I have 7 iRiver HXXX because of different modifications I have done, with one having optical and coax out. I state this because it doesn't matter how many I have. To invest in a dap that I would hopefully enjoy, I would also wish for it to meet certain criteria. That doesn't mean it has to meet my criteria but it is a preference for me to own it. 

 

I travel a lot at times. I like to have one dap that can do everything. And lets say I got the M and was going to China for a month or two or somewhere else for that long. And lets say I pack a Hugo for wherever I am staying, because I like that option. Having digital out, regardless of how many daps I have, is a positive. And lets say I love the sound of the M as a stand alone dap so for portable use I want to use it much of the time and then when stationary I use the Hugo and maybe the fi.Q. I like options and have a standard for any dap I have. 

 

I think the DX50 has a digital out, will have to check. Just checked, the X5 has digital out. :^)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

I can understand wanting digital out if you only want to own one portable player and want to use it stand alone when out and about, then connect it to a Hugo or other desktop stuff when at home. It just makes it more versatile. By no means necessary but I do think it can limit potential buyers. But in most head-fi cases many around here have multiple players to fit different scenarios anyway.

Edited by jamato8 - 3/9/14 at 3:56pm
post #1735 of 4156
I agree with jamato8 on this. Digital out killed the deal for me.
On the other hand, I dun find their replies on facebook arrogant. its probably cultural difference.
Unfortunately, i need to wait for their future model if it will include digital out....its a basic requirement for me, seems all other daps are equipped with this
post #1736 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post

I agree with jamato8 on this. Digital out killed the deal for me.
On the other hand, I dun find their replies on facebook arrogant. its probably cultural difference.
Unfortunately, i need to wait for their future model if it will include digital out....its a basic requirement for me, seems all other daps are equipped with this

Not surprising that digital out IS a must have for people who own or consider buying Hugo. It is an interesting piece of kit that even got an all-in-one die-hard like me excited. So I guess I can understand the sentiment too...
post #1737 of 4156

SQ trumps everything. As long as the SQ is a substantial improvement, M is still a good value. Using a digital out means limiting your DAP to a merely storage device. You can pick up a cheap DAP which support this already. Using this function means you are listening at home or in one place, not on a walkabout, on a train or a bus with which small/thin form factor and simplicity makes more sense.

 

This is becoming a chicken and egg discussion, I understand options are nice, but we need to understand what the M is designed for. I'm guessing everyone will agree that Calyx is aiming for the best "portable" and pocketable DAP.


Edited by headwhacker - 3/9/14 at 8:53pm
post #1738 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post

Not surprising that digital out IS a must have for people who own or consider buying Hugo. It is an interesting piece of kit that even got an all-in-one die-hard like me excited. So I guess I can understand the sentiment too...

Its just that technology changes so rapidly and a "closed" system is undesirable to me. Perhaps in next month/year, some company will come up with a new DAC source that is more compact and advanced..
post #1739 of 4156
Thread Starter 
Some of us wanted digital out since currently Calyx M and AK240 are the only Android devices capable of playing DSD (*.DSF / *.DFF) files.

However, both of them should be relying on internal hardware for native DSD decoding. That's why can't just root them and rip the *.APK off those devices.

Other than that, we might have to wait for Cowon Plenue P1 and hopefully DSD support will be added to USB Audio Player Pro in the near furture. Cowon might be willing to enable USB OTG so that's great for Hugo etc.
post #1740 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post
 

SQ trumps everything. As long as the SQ is a substantial improvement, M is still a good value. Using a digital out means limiting your DAP to a merely storage device. You can pick up a cheap DAP which support this already. Using this function means you are listening at home or in one place, not on a walkabout, on a train or a bus with which small/thin form factor and simplicity makes more sense.

 

This is becoming a chicken and egg discussion, I understand options are nice, but we need to understand what the M is design for. I'm guess everyone will agree that Calyx is aiming for the best "portable" and pocketable DAP.

Exactly

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage