or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage - Page 101

post #1501 of 5502

I guess they couldn't help themselves with their new feature - they had to crowbar it into the M even though it isn't really any kind of advantage over buttons. No need to reinvent the wheel...

post #1502 of 5502

You never know... They may be reading the thread and make a change. I really hope so.

 

We could all comment on the Facebook page as well. It may help. They do seem to listen.

post #1503 of 5502

They seem to not have concern about the volume slider being accidentally pushed to max volume, but I have my doubts. They could be right and I hope they are. I guess they deserve the benefit of the doubt since I haven't ever used it.

post #1504 of 5502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauntere View Post
 

You never know... They may be reading the thread and make a change. I really hope so.

 

We could all comment on the Facebook page as well. It may help. They do seem to listen.


Exactly, they've listened to our advice before, lets hope they listen now.

post #1505 of 5502
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 

 There are some guys in Calyx designing team who have a weird fetish for volume slider-analog feeling :D

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post
 

I guess they couldn't help themselves with their new feature - they had to crowbar it into the M even though it isn't really any kind of advantage over buttons. No need to reinvent the wheel...

 

 

I'm really a very laidback person in real life. I've made a nuisance of myself, a few times in this thread, not because I wish to be rude or unsociable but only because I genuinely wish the DAP to perform as well as possible and to be as successful as possible (same goes for other competing DAPs).

 

A DAP that is safe to use and performs as well as possible is in the best interests of both customers and the Calyx team/company.

 

 

 

I give the Calyx team credit for acquiescing to requests for a fullsize SD card slot.

 

It was also a wise decision to include the [REW] [FFW] buttons, but let's face it, they should never have been absent to begin with.

 

I still sincerely believe it is a gargantuan mistake to rush the M through to production without a D-O, and I believe that although I may piss them off with saying it (which is not my wish), I actually believe they themselves will come to regret it, too, when all is said and done, even though they may not feel so right now.

 

 

 

As for the slider - well, I still feel someone at Calyx has some bizarre fetish about 'analogue-feel' slider controls and that they are so besotted with them that they are determined to force one onto the M, even if it harms the usability and safety of the unit, and even the credibility of the team who have worked so hard to produce a DAP masterpiece. This silly slider is not appropriate for a pocket device and is detrimental in every sense.

 

Judging by the weak and unconvincing counter-arguments and assertions on the facebook page, it appears the team are being deliberately obtuse about the stupidity of this slider. I refuse to believe that such an intelligent and talented group of engineers are really unable to see the many shortcomings of forcing customers to use a slider instead of buttons. Guys, please!! WAKE UP!!  You've produced a fantastic DAP that you have every right to be extremely proud of - why make a laughing stock of yourselves by ploughing-ahead with such a silly ergonomic disaster for the volume control? Weak assertions that Koreans who have heard the DAP liked the volume control are pathetic - virtually all of these people were stood still in an office or hotel room, with the DAP on a table or in their hands. Were each of these listeners walking around town, going down escalators, dodging traffic, etc., controlling the DAP whilst moving, without looking at it, and only by feeling it inside their jacket pocket?   NO.

 

 

I do not need to 'feel the slider in my hands' to 'understand' it. It's a stupid design that is not appropriate for the DAPs intended purpose of being a pocket-based player. Touching and feeling the DAP will not change my viewpoint on this. Do you really believe that you are being clever or innovative by using a slider? My cheap $10 (yes, ten dollars) Lloytron cassette walkman from 1986 had a sliding volume control and it was AWFUL, and dangerous to my hearing. Do you think that just because your slider is a removable magnet, that that somehow makes it cooler or more usable? Well, it doesn't. It's a silly gimmick and it's an awful solution.  Look around you at the DAP marketplace - why are volume sliders so rare on other pocket devices? Is it because other design teams aren't innovative enough to use them or is it, maybe, just maybe, because other design teams have the commonsense to understand that they are not appropriate for pocket devices?

 

 

Please, guys. I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful. I'm just trying to shake you awake from a trance. Please change this slider to buttons. Buttons are so popular and ubiquitous because they are safe, accurate to use by touch alone, and do not lose accuracy or safety if operated whilst one is moving around.


Edited by Mython - 3/4/14 at 8:20am
post #1506 of 5502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

 

I'm really a very laidback person in real life. I've made a nuisance of myself, a few times in this thread, not because I wish to be rude or unsociable but only because I genuinely wish the DAP to perform as well as possible and to be as successful as possible (same goes for other competing DAPs).

 

A DAP that is safe to use and performs as well as possible is in the best interests of both customers and the Calyx team/company.

 

 

 

I give the Calyx team credit for acquiescing to requests for a fullsize SD card slot.

 

It was also a wise decision to include the [REW] [FFW] buttons, but let's face it, they should never have been absent to begin with.

 

I still sincerely believe it is a gargantuan mistake to rush the M through to production without a D-O, and I believe that although I may piss them off with saying it (which is not my wish), I actually believe they themselves will come to regret it, too, when all is said and done, even though they may not feel so right now.

 

 

 

As for the slider - well, I still feel someone at Calyx has some bizarre fetish about 'analogue-feel' slider controls and that they are so besotted with them that they are determined to force one onto the M, even if it harms the usability and safety of the unit, and even the credibility of the team who have worked so hard to produce a DAP masterpiece. This silly slider is not appropriate for a pocket device and is detrimental in every sense.

 

Judging by the weak and unconvincing counter-arguments and assertions on the facebook page, it appears the team are being deliberately obtuse about the stupidity of this slider. I refuse to believe that such an intelligent and talented group of engineers are really unable to see the many shortcomings of forcing customers to use a slider instead of buttons. Guys, please!! WAKE UP!!  You've produced a fantastic DAP that you have every right to be extremely proud of - why make a laughing stock of yourselves by ploughing-ahead with such a silly ergonomic disaster for the volume control? Weak assertions that Koreans who have heard the DAP liked the volume control are pathetic - virtually all of these people were stood still in an office or hotel room, with the DAP on a table or in their hands. Were each of these listeners walking around town, going down escalators, dodging traffic, etc., controlling the DAP whilst moving, without looking at it, and only by feeling it inside their jacket pocket?   NO.

 

 

I do not need to 'feel the slider in my hands' to 'understand' it. It's a stupid design that is not appropriate for the DAPs intended purpose of being a pocket-based player. Touching and feeling the DAP will not change my viewpoint on this. Do you really believe that you are being clever or innovative by using a slider? My cheap $10 (yes, ten dollars) Lloytron cassette walkman from 1986 had a sliding volume control and it was AWFUL, and dangerous to my hearing. Do you think that just because your slider is a removable magnet, that that somehow makes it cooler or more usable? Well, it doesn't. It's a silly gimmick and it's an awful solution.  Look around you at the DAP marketplace - why are volume sliders so rare on other pocket devices? Is it because other design teams aren't innovative enough to use them or is it, maybe, just maybe, because other design teams have the commonsense to understand that they are not appropriate for pocket devices?

 

 

Please, guys. I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful. I'm just trying to shake you awake from a trance. Please change this slider to buttons. Buttons are so popular and ubiquitous because they are safe, accurate to use by touch alone, and do not lose accuracy or safety if operated whilst one is moving around.


Couldn't have said it any better. Calyx, for your sake, listen to this man!

post #1507 of 5502

Something else that seems relevant to this discussion is that just because the slider is capable of fine resolution (as Calyx have responded, to someone, on their Facebook page) does not mean that it is easy for a user to actually actuate in fine resolution. There is only just so much fine motor control a person has, especially when operating a device within a pocket, and whilst moving around. In contrast, a button can easily be pressed a distinct number of times until precisely the desired volume is achieved, and with no chance of going too far. Heck, you could even adjust it with absolute precision whilst jogging a marathon!

post #1508 of 5502
The oversee deal finally announced:
Quote:
To overseas customers;

We will open in 48 hours an account for pre-orders from overseas.

Here are some basic terms and conditions.

1. Price: USD850 including shipping and 1 year warranty.
2. Only in March.
3. One per person
4. Area: Japan, China, Taiwan, Hongkong, Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, USA, Canada, EU areas, and UK. (some will be added or deleted)
5. Local taxes and custom duties are excluded, buyers pay.
6. etc.

From Calyx M Facebook minutes ago
post #1509 of 5502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andykong View Post

The oversee deal finally announced:
From Calyx M Facebook minutes ago

 

Yeah, Calyx's post in FB is just 2 minutes apart from your post here. lol


Edited by headwhacker - 3/4/14 at 8:44am
post #1510 of 5502

DELETE


Edited by Mython - 4/1/14 at 4:59pm
post #1511 of 5502

At least there is news now of the pre-order. Thanks for the discount, but it's not compelling enough to for me to dive in head first. Still 2x what the DX90 would cost. I would wait it out until I can really be certain the SQ is worth it.

post #1512 of 5502
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post

This is going to make Mython's head explode lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post


I'm really a very laidback.....

gil-head-explode-again.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by kkcc - 3/4/14 at 9:15am
post #1513 of 5502
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post


smily_headphones1.gif

 

 

 

LOL

 

Do not mistake persistence & assertiveness for anxiety or aggression :wink:

 

 

You sometimes disagree in a determined manner with your dog/cat/child/wife/husband, but don't need to have a row/tantrum, and you still care about them right? :popcorn: 

 

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately, it seems the slider fetishist(s) are ruling the design decisions in Korea and are deaf to all objections

 


Edited by Mython - 3/4/14 at 9:29am
post #1514 of 5502

So who's buying? :D

 

post #1515 of 5502
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post
 

So who's buying? :D

 

At $850 I will get either the DX90 or X5. If the price was closer to the deal they have for Korea I would probably get the Calyx M.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage