or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage - Page 97

post #1441 of 5549
You can't as is not released yet.
post #1442 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung View Post
 

Where can I get the calyx.

 

Yes if you live in Korea it is available albeit limited supply. There is an expected release around April internationally though maybe not every country right away.

post #1443 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenook View Post
 

 

Yes if you live in Korea it is available albeit limited supply. There is an expected release around April internationally though maybe not every country right away.

 available ???

post #1444 of 5549

read this thread....

post #1445 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickusic View Post
 

Relative new here but I'll guess I'm lucky. As one of the first Western guys (coming from Europe) I just ordered the M via my Korean relative in Seoul. Looking forward to have it soon in my hands to review it and to compare it with my 'good ol' DX100 which it is going to replace. Never a dull moment, will let you know...

like this one.

post #1446 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

Having heard the AK240 yesterday, I don't anticipate that the Calyx-M will have any problem at least matching its SQ.

 

Hello, Mython -

 

What are your thoughts on this review?

 

Regards,

Brian

post #1447 of 5549
Same people who said AK120 is awesome also. So...Looks like a PR piece
post #1448 of 5549

DELETE


Edited by Mython - 4/1/14 at 5:02pm
post #1449 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

No comment, other than to draw your attention to the sensationalist title of the review ("OMG! THIS THING IS #@!%&$ AMAZEBALLS!"), which I think speaks volumes, and to confirm that I stand by my earlier viewpoint.

Rudi is an honest and reliable source that doesn't seem to be brand influenced. See his comments in the Mook thread. Of course we don't all agree on everything but he thinks the 240 is best stand alone so far.


Edited by goodvibes - 3/2/14 at 5:31pm
post #1450 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
 

Rudi is an honest and reliable source. See his comments in the Mook thread. Of course we don't all agree on things but he thinks the 240 is best stand alone so far.

 

I wasn't referring to the reviewer, but to the sensationalism of the review title.

 

Yes, everyone has differing views on each piece of gear. C'est la vie.

 

I did think the AK240 sounds good, but I didn't think it would be out of reach of competitors in the $1000+ pricerange. The AK240 is obnoxiously overpriced, to thickly line the pockets of iRiver and their dealers, and, aside from the class-leading onboard memory, does not warrant a pricetag, in my personal opinion, of over $1400. When I see it being retailed at over $3000 dollars, I just roll my eyes in disgust, and think how much more willing I'd be to spend a $1000 on a DAP and buy an additional nice piece of gear for my hobby, like LCD2 or Chord Hugo, or a TOTL CIEM.

 

Money, however, isn't an issue for Rudi, and good luck to him.

post #1451 of 5549

More money doesn't make a product sound worse either, though it can bias folks on either side of the equation. 

post #1452 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

No comment, other than to draw your attention to the sensationalist title of the review ("OMG! THIS THING IS #@!%&$ AMAZEBALLS!"), which I think speaks volumes, and to confirm that I stand by my earlier viewpoint.


Hi, Mython -

 

I understand your perspective and largely agree with it. Nonetheless, did you read the review itself? I was struck by its conclusion:
 

Quote:

The AK240 is more than Astell & Kern's latest and greatest, and much more than another flavor-of-the-month. It's nothing less than a seminal point in personal high-fidelity. In the years to come, when people look back - searching for that pivotal moment in time where features, fidelity and usability finally came together in a single user experience - they won't be talking about an iPod, or a Walkman, or even a Pono player. It's the AK240 that will be remembered most.

 

Yes, it's that ******* good.

 

Audio360's editor also added this note:

 

Quote:

In the days, weeks and months ahead, we expect to encounter a fair amount of doubt, skepticism and incredulity regarding our evaluation the AK240's performance-to-price ratio. However, we invite everyone to use and audition the AK240 for themselves before passing any judgment. After all, had someone told us it was this impressive before we experienced it ourselves, we'd have been unsettled by that news as well.

 

 

I'm intrigued, especially because someone I trust regards review co-author "warrenpchi" as a straight shooter.

 

Regards,

Brian

post #1453 of 5549
AK will always have haters due to their pricing and marketing strategy. In the end it all comes down to the SQ and whether whoever who listens to it is influenced in anyway by the pricing.
As for Mython, based on his heavy criticism and negativity towards AK, I'm sure there will at least be a hint of influence towards the impression. smily_headphones1.gif

Note that I'm not criticising or accusing anyone, but this is a common and general outtake of most head-fiers in this forum.
post #1454 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarr112281 View Post


Hi, Mython -

I understand your perspective and largely agree with it. Nonetheless, did you read the review itself? I was struck by its conclusion:

 

Audio360's editor also added this note:


I'm intrigued, especially because someone I trust regards review co-author "warrenpchi" as a straight shooter.

Regards,
Brian

As a AK240 owner, I would not hesitate to admit AK240's low price:sq ratio. I would also admit it was an irrational purchase as I already get SQ on par or better from HM901 with various amp boards.

I purchased before reading that review, and even as a owner I felt the general tone was overboard/overly excited. We are hardcore head-fiers who have seen it all and shouldn't be that easily excitable.

However, when I do consider the content and points raised in the review itself, I can hardly argue with most of them. I don't know if it is a "pivotal" product but I do know it had combined the best of all aspects of a DAP most of us care about, and for that they decided they are the best and only game in town for now and thus charging like it is.

I do hope and BELIEVE Calyx M will challenge that and force iriver to get real with their pricing strategy going forward. Calyx M also seems to checked ALL the boxes (and more with extra SD slot) with a very elegant and usable engineering design/UI. I have extremely high hopes for it and anxiously tracking it's pre-order availability for us international folks. The high-end DAP market really need an entry that is not too damn ugly or too damn expensive.....
post #1455 of 5549
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post


As a AK240 owner, I would not hesitate to admit AK240's low price:sq ratio. I would also admit it was an irrational purchase as I already get SQ on par or better from HM901 with various amp boards.

I purchased before reading that review, and even as a owner I felt the general tone was overboard/overly excited. We are hardcore head-fiers who have seen it all and shouldn't be that easily excitable.

However, when I do consider the content and points raised in the review itself, I can hardly argue with most of them. I don't know if it is a "pivotal" product but I do know it had combined the best of all aspects of a DAP most of us care about, and for that they decided they are the best and only game in town for now and thus charging like it is.

I do hope and BELIEVE Calyx M will challenge that and force iriver to get real with their pricing strategy going forward. Calyx M also seems to checked ALL the boxes (and more with extra SD slot) with a very elegant and usable engineering design/UI. I have extremely high hopes for it and anxiously tracking it's pre-order availability for us international folks. The high-end DAP market really need an entry that is not too damn ugly or too damn expensive.....

 

That was a very balanced response... 

 

I am particularly interested that you say the 901 is on the same level or better. I am ignorant of the development costs associated with creating a slick UI. Maybe that is worth the price difference.

If so the Calyx M looks like a huge Bargain. The sony MW ZX1 likewise.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage